Vice President Dick Cheney accidentally shot............................

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is the best one from the above site

Sure, it's been fun joking about the fact that Dick Cheney obtained five -- count them, five -- deferments to avoid serving in the military during the Vietnam War. Sure, its been amusing to recount his limp claim that the man who served as George Bush I's Secretary of Defense had "other priorities" than taking up arms in defense of his country. Sure, it was a laugh when the chief cheerleader for the war in Iraq mocked John Kerry for having actually carried a weapon in a time of war.

But it is time to stop laughing at Dick Cheney's expense.

Now that the vice president has accidentally shot and wounded a companion on a quail hunt at the elite Texas ranch where rich men play with guns -- spraying his 78-year-old victim, er, friend, in the face and chest with shotgun pellets and sending the man to intensive care unit of a Corpus Christi hospital -- it has become clear that Cheney was doing the country a service when he avoided service.

The man Cheney mistook for a quail, millionaire attorney Harry Whittington, was in plain sight, wearing a bright orange vest at the time the vice president blasted him.

U.S. troops had enough problems in Vietnam without letting a trigger-happy incompetent like Dick Cheney start shooting things up from behind the lines.

Those deferments were well and wisely issued.

another good one

Report: Cheney Shooting Based On "Faulty Intelligence"?

by Joe Gandelman

This just in from investigative reporter Andy Borowitz:

CHENEY SAYS SHOOTING OF FELLOW HUNTER WAS BASED ON FAULTY INTELLIGENCE

Believed Shooting Victim Was Zawahiri, Veep Says

Vice President Dick Cheney revealed today that he shot a fellow hunter while on a quail hunting trip over the weekend because he believed the man was the fugitive terror mastermind Ayman al-Zawahiri.

Mr. Cheney acknowledged that the man he sprayed with pellets on Saturday was not al-Zawahiri but rather Harry Whittington, a 78-year-old millionaire lawyer from Austin, blaming the mix-up on “faulty intelligence.”

“I believed I had credible intelligence that al-Zawahiri had infiltrated my hunting party in disguise with the intent of spraying me with pellets,” Mr. Cheney told reporters. “Only after I shot Harry in the face and he shouted ‘Cheney, you bastard’ did I realize that this intelligence was faulty.”

Moments after Mr. Cheney’s assault on Mr. Whittington, Mr. al-Zawahiri appeared in a new videotape broadcast on al-Jazeera to announce that he was uninjured in the vice president’s attack because, in his words, “I was in Pakistan.”

An aide to the vice president said he believed that the American people would believe Mr. Cheney’s version of events, but added, “If he was going to shoot any of his cronies right now it’s a shame it wasn’t Jack Abramoff.”

At the White House, President George W. Bush defended his vice president’s shooting of a fellow hunter, saying that the attack sent “a strong message to terrorists everywhere.”

“The message is, if Dick Cheney is willing to shoot an innocent American citizen at point-blank range, imagine what he’ll do to you,” Mr. Bush said.

Elsewhere, aviator Steve Fossett completed his three-day journey around the globe, setting a world record for wasting both time and money.

Well, you have to admit jokes are funny...

And I might be a person with deficient mental capability as Dale said, because I would make a statement expressing joy at the possible mortal injury of another human being (and also have a lot of member here regarding muslims), I guess it depends on the context...

Where the heck did I leave my CCW permit?...

Dale,

You're clearly a mental powerhouse without peer. I'm sure you can make your points without calling the Canadian member an idiot.

My comments, aimed at no one in particular:

Laughing at another persons injury/accident is cruel. Finding irony in hunters shooting one another is understandable; finding pleasure or humor in same is sad (note, I understand that irony implies humor, but there can be ironic situations that are not funny...the unexpectedly absurd).

Using this accident for political hackery is like talking about the traffic accident Laura Bush was in as a teen in which a person was killed (before she was married). Accidents happen, they are often tragic, and making light of them when they happen to someone you have a difference of opinion with (politically or otherwise) makes you a very small person.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
More funny stuff from small minded people

Hot: Super Bowl Roethlisberger Groupies ESPN NFL NBA Kobe Bryant

Don't Shoot, I'm Just an Attorney

Yes, you laughed at our long-standing policy of turning down any hunting invitations from Dick Cheney. Well, who’s laughing now? As Texas attorney and lobbyist Harry Whittington discovered on Saturday, when the Vice President shows up at your door wearing a red vest and packing a shotgun, it’s best to just fake an illness. As you probably know, Whittington was shot by Cheney during a quail hunt (or, as the White House prefers to call it, ‘friendly fire’) and was rushed to the hospital, where he is expected to recover. The nation, however, may not. A sampling of the reaction so far:

The Daily Kos:

“Rove’s report: ‘Quail began returning fire and Whittington selflessly threw himself in from of VP Cheney to defend his life.’” — caribon

“Be vewy quiet, I’m hunting wobbyists.” — Green917

“Exactly how many people were shot on Dick’s rampage? We only know about the sole survivor.” — Cache

“Worst Veep since Aaron Burr? He IS Aaron Burr! Republican. Selected by the Supreme Court. Shot a man.” — suzq.

Democratic Underground:

“Come to think of it: thank God he did not enlist.” — rumpel

“Most dangerous place in politics — between Cheney and a game bird.” — GreatCaesar’sGhost

“Harry Whittington, author of these memorable volumes?” — Friday’s Child.

Dave Barry:

“A word to the wise, do not mess with Dick Cheney, lest he mistake you for a quail.”

Also it should be pointed out that, in the original article on the New York Times web site, Cheney was described as “an accomplished hunter.” A few a hours later, that phrase was changed to “an avid hunter.”

VP Cheney Accidentally Shoots Fellow Hunter [ESPN Outdoors]

More:Huntingwhimsy

I completely agree that huting on a ranch where they let animals go to be killed is wrong. It is not humane to kill an animal that way. Just because it is legal, it doesn;t mean it is right. If you do not like that, do what I do, don't go.As long as there is someone out there willing to pay to kill innocent animals, there will be people selling the service. If you really don't like the idea, call your representive and complain to him/her. If enough people complain, the laws will change.

It still doesn't make it funny to hear that another hunter was shot. It is never funny to hear of a hunter getting shot by another hunter. It isn't even funny to joke about it.

Tom

GWAC - your first post was addressed at "hunters", now you revise to be these two old men. Regardless, if you don't have empathy or sympathy for a man who was accidentally shot, you strengthen my first judgement of your character.

I see the difference between humans and birds, what does that have to do with your statement? You said you "always get a smile on my face when one hunter shoots another". That is a despicable statement.

I am still waiting for a response from you explaining how your statement is not pathetic and mean. Smarmy non-sequiters do not count.

Still waiting for your brilliant response to my other questions.

TJR - excellent comments. Eloquent and to the point.

I am not a fan of hunting, but I don't see the difference between raising a quail to be killed and raising a cow to be killed. I do however, think it is not very sportsmanlike to have the birds just released in the open to be killed. It's sort of like fishing in the Bass Pro Shop. There is just no challenge to it.

Fer said

"And I might be a person with deficient mental capability as Dale said, because I would make a statement expressing joy at the possible mortal injury of another human being (and also have a lot of member here regarding muslims), I guess it depends on the context...

And I provide a limited context, that of someone who deserved it. That would include topics discussed on this board like multiple murderers on death row, Muslim TERRORISTS who kill innocent people, etc etc.

Telling a joke to lessen the impact or emotional pain is one thing, but expressing joy over the actual injury and subsequent pain and suffering of the person is another. I am certain Jay Leno, Letterman, et al will show many examples of that humor, GWAC's staement was not humorous.

“Worst Veep since Aaron Burr? He IS Aaron Burr! Republican. Selected by the Supreme Court. Shot a man.” — suzq.

Granted only one quote, but it speaks to the intelligence of the content of The Daily Kos. I immediately discount any expectation of intelligence from a person who utters the "selected, not elected" crap. What part of Bush won EVERY recount conducted by Liberal institutions do these people not understand?

but I don't see the difference between raising a quail to be killed and raising a cow to be killed.

Neither then I. Personally, I feel killing a deer is more humane then killing a cow. That cow's life is no less important then a deer's life.

Tom

Dale

I do not give a rats azz what you think about my character.

Anymore insults you like to throw at me.....

I love animals and in general HUMANS treat aninals like (*&*(^^*&.

What do you think nature was put here for dale, so that so called evolved

humans can destroy it for there own selfish pleasure.....

I bet you support destroying the Alaskian wilderness so we can pump more oil

for our SUV`s..... Right Dale .... Because we are a more evolved species...

Last edited by a moderator:
>>>>It would be like Major League Baseball putting up glass barriers between the fans and the field because a small section of hecklers started throwing food. Why punish the well behaved (well....more mannered) fans who enjoy the sport for a few dimwhits that don't know how to act like normal people.

Mom always said don't play ball in the house! All fun and games until someone breaks the glass barrier.

Off-topic jokes are good on this board but the spirited discussions are even funnier. When will we open discussions regarding:

- is it pop, soda, soda pop, coke, etc?

- is it paper, scissors, rock or rock, paper, scissors?

- sneakers or tennis shoes?

- tomate-o or tomaht-o

JT#14

coke

definately rock, paper, scissors

tennis shoes

and tomate-o

Wow 500 birds to 10 guys, is ridiculous,,,, Is it even Pheasant season? This is the direction this country has been going for a while now though. Land being bought and then posted no hunting for the Joe shmo's in the area, and fee's to hunt are going through the roof. Pretty soon only Big money folks will be able to hunt... Right in Maine I been hunting for years and years and now the land is being bought by people who come once a year to hunt, but they post it so all the locals and people who depended on the area for years have to go somehwere else. Now I can see if you were going to live there and raise a family but to come up and build a hunting camp then post it "no hunting" is truley selfish, we see it all the time... :angry:

Joseymack, I know what you're talking about. I have friends that live in Livermore Falls and Gray, ME. They've noticed the influx of private property, no hunting, signs as well. Similarly, we are having a problem down here in FL with lakes and fishing. Since real estate is going through such a boom, all the property around lakes are gold mines. Subsequently, the lots are sold and all public access to the lakes are shut off. Pretty sad really. Pretty soon, you will have to own a million dollar plot of land on a lake in order to fish freshwater.

Latest quote from Mr. V.P. "Quayle?? I thought they meant Dan. He looked like Dan."

I don't think the incident itself is funny. It is the actors involved, histories and the irony that make it funny. Personally, having grow up in England, I find fox hunting to be absolutly barbaric. My wife thinks not and participated in her "horsy" days. However, for the deer hunter that consumes, whether by eating, using the fur and bones etc, I say go for it.

There is legislation in many places to ban canned hunts already.

grump