Still having misfires. Could use some input.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theb00g

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
(classified as a 2001 even though it was early production 2/00)
Good morning all,
Bought this 2000 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2wd 4.0L V6 sohc 2k+ miles From a gentleman.
Has a check engine light on and until recently had not driven it that much .
Long story short,
I needed to get the check engine light turned off so I could do a Bonded Title because the person I bought it from left state and never gave me the title.
Bought the obd2 hardware and forscan.
Did smoke testing after reading codes and making notes.
Appeared to be intake manifold gaskets leaking so changed upped and lower as well as an exhaust gasket at the "Y" pipe.
Did the smoke test again and replaced a couple other hoses PCV valve and hose.

Did the graphing in forscan and seemed bank 2 up stream wasn't fast switching so replaced it.
Keep getting miss fires on on cylinders 2 & 3.
Check fuel pressure and was below specs.(Replaced fuel pump)

aLso pulled all injector and did the diy pressure injector cleaner on all 6 till injectors produced nice Quad streams, reinstalled (done when intake gaskets were done seemed appropriate).
Again , still getting misfires.
Checked compression on all cylinders and are above recommend specs.
New plugs and wires, spark seemed weak from coil doing a visual inspection of running with new plug of color and brightness of spark.

Got a second had known good coil.

Still getting misfires on bank 1.

Any input would be appreciated.

I have done a few other things
New MAF, TPS example, figured high miles and age no shame in replacing a few other electric components.
No shame in putting a little money into known new good working to rule out possible suspects.
Thanks
Diamond in North Carolina

Good morning all,
Bought this 2000 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2wd 4.0L V6 sohc 2k+ miles From a gentleman.
Long story short,
I needed to get the check engine light turned off so I could do a Bonded Title because the person I bought it from left state and never gave me the title.
Appeared to be intake manifold gaskets leaking so changed upped and lower as well as an exhaust gasket at the "Y" pipe.

Did the graphing in forscan and seemed bank 2 up stream wasn't fast switching so replaced it.

aLso pulled all injector and did the diy pressure injector cleaner on all 6 till injectors produced nice Quad streams, reinstalled (done when intake gaskets were done seemed appropriate).
New plugs and wires, spark seemed weak from coil doing a visual inspection of running with new plug of color and brightness of spark.

New MAF, TPS example, figured high miles and age no shame in replacing a few other electric components.
No shame in putting a little money into known new good working to rule out possible suspects.
Thanks
Nothing from none of the members?

Ok, thanks anyways.
I thought maybe a forum specifically for Sport Trac owners might be a good place to start.

You guys have an Awesome day.

I'll post elsewhere..

I had the same problem. Error code misfire cylinder.1 I replaced all the stuff. Spark plugs, wires, coilpack and installed new injectors, after couple days the misfire code cylinde 1 was back. My truck runs very smooth, so I just ignore it. Maybe is the PCM, but I will not replace him. If your truck runs fine Maybe just ignore it also.

You never mentioned if the issues you had were fixed when you replaced parts(low fuel pressure/lazy o2 readings)?
Assuming you’ve already done a fuel filter?
Also, did you recheck for vac leaks while the engine was hot?

I would move the spark plug, wire, and injector to a different hole, individually of course, and see if the problem follows to the new hole.

I deed all this. my O2 reading are good. No fuel filter change yet, but since my fuel gauge has stopped working and i think i need to replace the fuel pump, i will install new fuel filter.

I thought you said you’ve already replaced the fuel pump?

So if your misfire did not change holes, I would check compression again and also do a leak down test of that cylinder.

Nothing from none of the members?

Ok, thanks anyways.
I thought maybe a forum specifically for Sport Trac owners might be a good place to start.

You guys have an Awesome day.

I'll post elsewhere..
Sometimes you gotta give people a couple days to get to your thread..I know I'm not sitting here online just waiting for threads to post. I have things to do as do many others. Now, onto your issue. You should be reading data streams for your injectors and spark signals. See if you are missing there. So many things could be the issue including a part you just replaced being faulty.

Good morning all,
Long story short,

Thanks
Only bank one now. Time to recheck that injector on that bank. Check fuel pressure with load with a leak down test. May not have a proper seal. Also, possible electrical issue with that injector. Must confirm with Scope. Also, look at the fuel damper, may be bad but if fuel pressure is fine, its should be ok. Hope this works. At this point, you need someone that can scope and read the electrical waveforms. Some parts are faulty from the start. Also, a few videos out there on leak down test, possible way to check injectors with basic meter or bulb test. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Did you verify the signal to the injectors and coils are correct?

Find someone with one of these. This can test all your injectors at the same time for spray pattern, volume, and leaks. I own a private shop here in Phoenix AZ. This has definitely served well for me and my customers. Lots of high mile cars with no rust, so they need to keep those motors running.
1000004084.jpg

I'd check your coil. I replace with an Auto Zone and it lasted a year. Replaced again with OEM and good to go! It caused a bad miss on my Sport Trac. I thought I burned a valve. You can test by with a thick leather glove pull each cable and see if your getting a good spark between the wire and the coil seat where you pulled the cable while engine is running.

Latest posts