Palin for VP

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
reggis said:
Dumb move by McCain, he has sealed his defeat.

I'm not so sure about that.

Of the two picks, Biden for the dems and Palin for the reps I have to say that I think Palin is the only one that OVERALL has strengthened the ticket.

Here is why I think the way I do:

1. Biden is as unknown to the common man as Palin, so no real effect for a majority of voters with either pick.

2. Those that know Biden on the right-side of the aisle think he is a major tool...mostly because he is. Those in his camp think he is great, but "so what?"

3. Palin is equally appealing to her party, but has a LOT of appeal for the otherside. Especially in that she is a woman. She should be able to attract many of the Hillary supporters.

If the VP choice is supposed to strenghthen your ticket and bring in undecideds and draw from the other's base, then Palin does that. I don't see Biden doing that at all. If anything, I think he has a negative affect in that area.

TJR

I'd take a two-year governor over a two-year Senator any day. Obama is only two years out of the Illinois state senate, and most of that time he has been campaigning for Prez and has never called a meeting of the Senate committee he chairs. Besides, he's at the TOP of the ticket. Experience matters less I think for the #2 person. Obama HAD to pick someone like Biden for some foreign policy experience (even if Biden is usually wrong) on the ticket. McCain already has that himself.

Bush has an approx. 30% approval rating, Congress has about a 9% approval rating. Palin has a 90% approval rating in her home state. Average out the approval ratings of the two tickets:

Dems: 9%

Repubs: 49.5%

Who has the stronger ticket?

What I can't figure out is with Congress' approval rating so low, why is everyone expecting the Dems to pick up more seats?

Randy,

Every candidate that runs for President promise "Change". That's there whole premis for running. Even the incumbents will promise new programs or some kind of improvement Even John McCain is promising change even in Iraq. McCain has always been a maverick and did not march in step withall the other Republicans

Think back to all the prevous Presidential elections and how they all promised change, and new programs. Then think back to what they actually did once they were elected In the end, things really never change that much. Usually the programs get blocked by the Congress or Senate, the changes are poorly conceived, poorly planned, and poorly executed and quickly flop.

In reality, the President has very little power to make the sweeping changes that they promis. The power lies withing the Congress and the Senate. Yes, more things can get done when the Congress is in the same majority party as the President, but even that is not a guarantee. The few promises that manage to be kept are done so within the first 100 days the new President is in office (The Honeymoon of the new President)

Most of those promises a poorly conceived and weak because they were rushed through while Congress is still showing some token respect for the new President.

Political candidates are only loyal to their political party and their only focus is to get elected and keep their party in power.

...Rich

Rich,

Exactly. Politicians will say anything to get elected. That's what really bothered me about Clinton, he jumped on every political bandwagon he could find just to get their vote.

One funny thing, look back at the last several presidents, on the next election cycle Congress changed to the opposite party's control. What's that saying? Like I said earlier, it won't work well until we get a strong third party to help break that control.

As far as the change thing, most people professing change will actually give you some idea of what they are wanting to change to. Obama's not. Even JibJab comments on this with 'Change for hope to hope for change' (or something like that) in their latest video.

Congress has been in control of the Democrats for about 40 years. The 2004 elections finally gave the Republicans the majority. Appearantly drunk with power, the Republican Congress tried to cram everything down the Democrats throats which did not sit well with the Democrats and much of America, so in 2006 the Democrats won the majority of the Congressional seats back again.

I don't think you can ever have a truely unbiased President unti the political parties are put under strict controls and campaign financing goes under a major reform where donations go to a central fund and equally distributed to the candidates and there can be not outside donations, no use of personal finances.

I would also like to see a law that states that all candidates running for President must register by a specific date, and not campaigning can begin prior to a specific date. I think it's so stupid that we allow political campagning to begin 18 months before the actual election, and that candidates can join in when the urge hits them.

I think starting the race on January 1st of the election year gives plenty of time for the candidates to express their views and positions prior to the elections. If you hold the position as a Congressman or Senitot, you must residgn your position at the sitme you announce your candidacy for President. After the first few primaries, the candates who got the least percentage of the votes will be terminated from the campaign and no longer eligable candidates for this election and will no longer be able to continue. This continues every 2-3 primaries until we are down to the last one or two candiates for each party.

By getting private money out of the Presidential campaigs you eliminate most of the existing corruption, and the candidate who has the best campain and character gets elected and not the one with the biggiest bacnk account.

I also think that this kind of campaign reform should apply to the Senate and Congressial and state Governors

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
She not only HOT :eek: and do things most men do, but she a lifetime member of NRA.:)

She got my vote.

And for McCain.....GO NAVY:D

I'd take a two-year governor over a two-year Senator any day. Obama is only two years out of the Illinois state senate, and most of that time he has been campaigning for Prez and has never called a meeting of the Senate committee he chairs

I agree. Plus she has "executive" experience from being both a mayor and governor. Obama has none. He's only one member of the Senate. Hell, she's a hundred times more qualified for the presidency than Obama.

Anyway, this has shades of the TV show "Commander In Chief" starring Gena Davis

A very big difference is that on "Commander in Chief", the conservative Republican presidential nominee selected Independent Makenzie Allen (Davis's character) as his running mate in an attempt to woo moderate/middle-of-the-road voters. In the real-life case, the opposite happened--relatively moderate McCain nominated highly-conservative Palin seemingly in an attempt to satisfy the Republican Party's conservative base.

And I think that, in the long run, may cost him. His moderateness has been somewhat successful in gaining him consideration from undecided voters. But this move, in many of their minds, just moves the image back to him being another typical conservative. If anything, it reinforces the Democrats' strategy of painting him as being just another Bush.

One ,one thing i would like to add before this post gets to big to even read, Does any one know why Chicago is called the windy city?

As fast and hard as the the liberal media and the Dems jumped on her, they must be running very scared of her.

Personally, I would rather see Sarah Palin be the President and McCain be VP.

Now THAT would spin Hillary into a fit of rage like no one has ever seen before!

Damn it!!!!! Why has Frank not his added his educated opinion?? It has gotten to the point where all I do is look forward to his insight...

gbb, since when does a bunch of conservatives rushing to defend someone mean that the dems are necessarily attacking? All I've heard so far is republicans trying to defend her and crying about her being attacked--even though for the most part those attacks have been few and far between. It only seems to make the republicans look scared, like they themselves perceive her as a serious problem, moreso than anyone from the outside.

Does any one know why Chicago is called the windy city?

I always heard that it's because there's a blower on every corner... :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
The windiest city in the US is Dodge City, KS. Chicago doesn't even make the top 10. Just another baseless claim to fame by "The Land of Corn". :cool:

This is a nice compare and contrast list from a Gerald Baker article in the Times of London:

Political experience

Obama: Worked his way to the top by cultivating, pandering to and stroking the most powerful interest groups in the all-pervasive Chicago political machine, ensuring his views were aligned with the power brokers there.

Palin: Worked her way to the top by challenging, attacking and actively undermining the Republican party establishment in her native Alaska. She ran against incumbent Republicans as a candidate willing and able to clean the Augean Stables of her state's government.

Political Biography

Obama: A classic, if unusually talented, greasy-pole climber. Held a succession of jobs that constitute the standard route to the top in his party's internal politics: "community organizer", law professor, state senator.

Palin:A woman with a wide range of interests in a well-variegated life. Held a succession of jobs - sports journalist, commercial fisherwoman, state oil and gas commissioner, before entering local politics. A resume that suggests something other than burning political ambition from the cradle but rather the sort of experience that enables her to understand the concerns of most Americans..

Political history

Obama: Elected to statewide office only after a disastrous first run for a congressional seat and after his Republican opponent was exposed in a sexual scandal. Won seat eventually in contest against a candidate who didn't even live in the state.

Palin: Elected to statewide office by challenging a long-serving Republican incumbent governor despite intense opposition from the party.

Appeal

Obama: A very attractive speaker whose celebrity has been compared to that of Britney Spears and who sends thrills up Chris Matthews' leg

Palin: A very attractive woman, much better-looking than Britney Spears who speaks rather well too. She sends thrills up the leg of Rush Limbaugh (and me).

Executive experience

Obama: Makes executive decisions every day that affect the lives of his campaign staff and a vast crowd of traveling journalists

Palin:Makes executive decisions every day that affect the lives of 500,000 people in her state, and that impact crucial issues of national economic interest such as the supply and cost of energy to the United States.

Religious influences

Obama: Regards people who "cling" to religion and guns as "bitter" . Spent 20 years being mentored and led spiritually by a man who proclaimed "God damn America" from his pulpit. Mysteriously, this mentor completely disappeared from public sight about four months ago.

Palin: Head of her high school Fellowship of Christian Athletes and for many years a member of the Assemblies of God congregation whose preachers have never been known to accuse the United States of deliberately spreading the AIDS virus. They remain in full public sight and can be seen every Sunday in churches across Alaska. A proud gun owner who has been known to cling only to the carcasses of dead caribou felled by her own aim.

Record of bipartisan achievement

Obama: Speaks movingly of the bipartisanship needed to end the destructive politics of "Red America" and "Blue America", but votes in the Senate as a down-the-line Democrat, with one of the most liberal voting records in congress.

Palin: Ridiculed by liberals such as John Kerry as a crazed, barely human, Dick Cheney-type conservative but worked wit Democrats in the state legislature to secure landmark anti-corruption legislation.

Former state Rep. Ethan Berkowitz - a Democrat - said. "Gov. Palin has made her name fighting corruption within her own party, and I was honored when she stepped across party lines and asked me to co-author her ethics white paper."

On Human Life

Obama: Devoutly pro-choi

Latest posts