1" to 1-1/2" lift Thoughts

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvdswan

Supporting Member
V6 Engine
4 wheel drive
2002 1st Gen
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
I've been mulling over this for some time. Not sure which lift kit would work best for my needs. Obviously, the front is torsion twist but the rear I'm not sure if I want to do the shackle or add-a-leaf. The shackle I would redrill for a one inch lift and if needed to move the support bar up or remove it. The add-a-leaf is generally an 1-1/2" lift. TT would be to match so I don't have the hotrod rake.

I've thought of 1" hockey pucks for a body lift, but I'm not a fan of them. The main reason is issues with having to move lines, wires, linkages, radiator stuff, etc. Too much work for what the need. Plus, I don't like the view of the frame being lower from the body. So yes, it's just personal preference.

I know the more you crank t-bars the rougher the ride up front. Been there done that, not worried about it. The ST isn't going to see much offroading as I have a toy for that. This is just mainly for the look. I am planning on going to a larger tire, preferably a 275/75R16 (32s), current tires are 255/70R16s (30s) I think, whatever the stock larger tires are. If the 275s are too large then 265/75R16s. Wheels are remaining stock aluminum and when I upgrade they will still be stock 16s just a different style.

Looking for opinions/thoughts on lift/tire sizes. Remember, I won't be stuffing the tires.

Thank you for looking

I've been mulling over this for some time. Not sure which lift kit would work best for my needs. Obviously, the front is torsion twist but the rear I'm not sure if I want to do the shackle or add-a-leaf. The shackle I would redrill for a one inch lift and if needed to move the support bar up or remove it. The add-a-leaf is generally an 1-1/2" lift. TT would be to match so I don't have the hotrod rake.

I've thought of 1" hockey pucks for a body lift, but I'm not a fan of them. The main reason is issues with having to move lines, wires, linkages, radiator stuff, etc. Too much work for what the need. Plus, I don't like the view of the frame being lower from the body. So yes, it's just personal preference.

I know the more you crank t-bars the rougher the ride up front. Been there done that, not worried about it. The ST isn't going to see much offroading as I have a toy for that. This is just mainly for the look. I am planning on going to a larger tire, preferably a 275/75R16 (32s), current tires are 255/70R16s (30s) I think, whatever the stock larger tires are. If the 275s are too large then 265/75R16s. Wheels are remaining stock aluminum and when I upgrade they will still be stock 16s just a different style.

Looking for opinions/thoughts on lift/tire sizes. Remember, I won't be stuffing the tires.

Thank you for looking
My truck had an awful rake when I bought it, so I did a 1.5 inch tt to level it. Looks much better, and I haven't noticed any difference in ride quality. I also plan to increase my tire size to a 265/75/r16 or 275/75/r16. The 265s are 31.65" and the 275s are 32.24". Not sure which will be best, but the 265s will probably fit easier. Also hoping that the larger tires will take the edge off that 4.10 rear end. For rear lift, I've heard that the shackles keep stock ride quality, while the aal makes the truck a bit stiff. I have heard of shackles failing though.

Thank you for the reply. Looking more at the tire sizes, the 275 isn't a highly produced product. They are made, just few manufacturers. So, I'm leaning towards the 265s. I don't have a rake that I know of, but the truck is 22 years old.

As far as shackles failing... did they install them wrong? I honestly can't see a 1/4" plate that has a support between the 2 failing. I guess with some serious frame twisting wheeling they might crack, not likely, but who knows. Heck, I've got some 3/8" plate I could cut out shackles from and not worry.

The 4.10s, I might drop 100 - 200 RPM at 60 which might help a little, but I'm not worried about it too much.

Thank you for the reply. Looking more at the tire sizes, the 275 isn't a highly produced product. They are made, just few manufacturers. So, I'm leaning towards the 265s. I don't have a rake that I know of, but the truck is 22 years old.

As far as shackles failing... did they install them wrong? I honestly can't see a 1/4" plate that has a support between the 2 failing. I guess with some serious frame twisting wheeling they might crack, not likely, but who knows. Heck, I've got some 3/8" plate I could cut out shackles from and not worry.

The 4.10s, I might drop 100 - 200 RPM at 60 which might help a little, but I'm not worried about it too much.
Most of the shackle failures I heard of were related to rust. They rust out bad quick. Of course it's just a matter of preventative maintenance. Some people also say the shackles put too much strain on the front of the leaf springs, wearing them out quicker. Not sure if that's true or not.

Not sure what you mean by 1" hockey pucks - take it you mean the body to frame bushings. Depending on many factors, but if your bushings are deteriorated, replacing them could add a little lift just due their newness. Being a 2002, it is worth inspecting. They are cheap and I read it isnt that tough of a job and about people replacing them in a Saturday afternoon.

Not sure what you mean by 1" hockey pucks - take it you mean the body to frame bushings. Depending on many factors, but if your bushings are deteriorated, replacing them could add a little lift just due their newness. Being a 2002, it is worth inspecting. They are cheap and I read it isnt that tough of a job and about people replacing them in a Saturday afternoon.
I already have the new body bushings in my possession. 1" hockey pucks are basically what they sound like. You can get them from certain offroad shops online. I have a set on my Nissan that I'm probably going to remove. All they are really, a 2-1/2" to 3" round disc 1" tall and a hole drilled in the center. My body bushings were trashed when I bought the truck so they are a to do item.

Regardless, I'm not a fan of them as I said before.

Sounds like you have done your homework and i have used hockey pucks a few times on jeeps and you are right they are just a body lift short of not needing to relocate anything, if a 3 inch body lift then yes but tracs do not show as much frame as other rides, going only a inch there is not a ton of body lifts so that is why we did pucks, shackles do not have roll like jeeps they were flimsy so confers shackles was a must.

I already have the new body bushings in my possession. 1" hockey pucks are basically what they sound like. You can get them from certain offroad shops online. I have a set on my Nissan that I'm probably going to remove. All they are really, a 2-1/2" to 3" round disc 1" tall and a hole drilled in the center. My body bushings were trashed when I bought the truck so they are a to do item.

Regardless, I'm not a fan of them as I said before.
Not to get off topic, but did you get the polyurethane bushings? Those are much better than OEM. The previous owner of my truck replaced the body bushings 10 years ago with OEM. And guess what...now I'm gonna have to replace them again in a few years. Def going with the polyurethane this time tho.

Not to get off topic, but did you get the polyurethane bushings? Those are much better than OEM. The previous owner of my truck replaced the body bushings 10 years ago with OEM. And guess what...now I'm gonna have to replace them again in a few years. Def going with the polyurethane this time tho.
Yes I did. Haven't done them yet. I have a pile of parts to install on the ST, just waiting for a NON-rainy day and finish a few honey-dos first.

Thank you for looking
Been pondering this some more over the last few days :) I think that you should go with the pucks. Heres why: 1. You don't have to change the factory suspension--no change in ride quality. Also no worries about the TT settling over time. 2. You have to replace your bushings anyway, so you could kill two birds with one stone. 3. The STs barely show a body lift because of the cladding. You can hardly see a 3" body lift, much less a 1". 4. 1" means much less interference with wires and everything else than bigger body lifts. Just a few thoughts :)