Sometimes I really hate wally mart!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe the fact is that if you shop at Wal-Mart, you must be handicapped

Excellent. I've been wondering how to get my military retirement supplemented with disability. Looks like when I retire I just need to admit I frequent Wally World and make sure it's in my medical records.

grump

I don't shop Walmart, but it has nothing to do with their labor practices. I just don't care for their stores--they all appear run-down and borderline slum-y. The buildings are old, crumbling, and of outdated styles. The interiors are unkept and cluttered. The parking lots are torn up, poorly-lit, and feel unsafe. The store locations are generally in not-so-safe, not-so-pleasant, "hood"-y areas. And the employees are generally uncooperative and uneducated (both in their jobs, and in general). (Although I will grant that as uncomfortable as I em with their employees, I'm even more uneasy just being around the typical customer base of those stores.) It's not quite as bad as K-Mart in any of these categories--I won't shop there either--but it's close. I'll gladly direct my business to the relatively pleasant experiences I can have at any Target.

Important note--This is based on my experiences at stores in my area, which is the Twin Cities. Which is home of Target. So I honestly don't know if these experiences are representative of Target/Walmart/Kmart stores everywhere, or only those here. I could easily believe that the Targets here are better cared for because the company is taking care of its home base, and that the others aren't as cared for because those companies realize that this is a Target-dominant region, and therefore don't bother investing much in these stores, and that these opinions wouldn't be as strong, or may even be reversed, if I were living elsewhere. But nonetheless, it's definitely representative of the opinions of nearly everyone I know.

BillV,

It's like that in PA and NY.

Local Dump -> Local Flea Mart -> KMart -> WalMart -> Target'

That's the progression for shopping excellence and experience.

Luckily Ames and Caldors went under or they would be between KMart and WalMart.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup..

I doubt a mentally handicapped individual will argue wages, time on/off clock, vacations, really understand when management is taking advantage of them.

They work hard and don't complain and when you have a mentality of a 12year old, then you will be treated like a 12 yo... especially when it comes to issues that an adult could handle better.

Wal Mart, in my opinion, exploits the mentally challenged due to the fact that it is less likely they will stand up for themselves if taken advantage of.

And if you say: "Your generalizing... I've seen plenty of mentally challenged people stick up for themselves." Well, when it comes to negotiating wages, negotiating when or how long you work, I believe most will lack.

I'm not trying to sound mean, but it's the truth.

It's no different from a company (LIKE WAL MART) hiring illegal immigrants to work for less than nothing... both are being taken advantage of since the migrant will not argue due to citizenship and the mentally challenged due to comprehension... IMO.

Mud,

That last post of yours seems a little offensive to me, and I don't even know any handicapped people. ;)

Not all the greeters are in fact "mentally" handicapped (some are physically handicapped). Furthermore, even for those that are mentally handicapped I would assume a great many of them can stick up for themselves quite nicely. For those that don't have the wherewithall to keep from being taken advantage of I would like to think that they have some type of support system (mom, dad, caregivers, fellow workers, etc) that would help them out.

Oh, and there is one other thing that I think keeps the mentally handicapped from being exploited by WalMart...our federal labor laws.

And let's not forget a little organization we call the "Americans with Disabilities" group:

(linked below)

Frankly, Mud, I think you are using naive thinking to villify a company that you don't seem to like.

TJR

Oh, and one other thing...when in this great nation of ours did we begin to think we can really "negotiate" the wages for a commodity, unskilled job like greeter, cashier, busboy, dish washer, or even landscaper or general laborer?

Cog jobs get cog pay....

Or has it always been "Rise Up Workers"...."Demand More?"

TJR

That last post of yours seems a little offensive to me, and I don't even know any handicapped people.

Well, you can choose to be offended or not. That's just what I believe.

Oh, and there is one other thing that I think keeps the mentally handicapped from being exploited by WalMart...our federal labor laws.

I'm sure that keeps all Wal Marts from taking advantage of their mentally challenged employees.

Frankly, Mud, I think you are using naive thinking to villify a company that you don't seem to like.

Right. I think some people just are too worried about PR or Pollitcal Correctness and don't share their true feelings. That's whats wrong with America. Poeple are offended over anything. I speak what I believe and I don't believe it's naive. Maybe sugar coating things to ignore the facts is better. Ignorance is bliss, right?

Mud, it's small, narrow thinking (IMHO) that's all.

Small thinking to think that someone should even be able to negotiate with any real wiggle-room the salary of a greeter regardless their capability; and small narrow thinking to assume that most mentally handicapped are getting exploited because they can't negotiate; and narrow thinking to assume most greeters can't negotiate.

It just seems like such a lame argument on so many dimensions...lame in that it is not well thought out.

You can believe it...it just isn't logical or rational IMHO.

P.S. Thanks for updating your post above and speaking your mind. I am speaking mine. I think you make too many assumptions and assume a wrong-doing and an exploitation where none really exists or even could exist based on the exploitation you describe.

TJR

Oh, and one other thing...when in this great nation of ours did we begin to think we can really "negotiate" the wages for a commodity, unskilled job like greeter, cashier, busboy, dish washer, or even landscaper or general laborer?

Easy:

"Boss, can I have a raise?"

or better yet...

"George received a raise and he's less skilled than I. Maybe I should go and ask why I have yet to receive a raise."

Negotiation.

Sure, Mud, those are negotiation examples. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, and we can't think of examples where people will ask for a raise.

What I am saying is that if one is paid to do a commodity, unskilled job, like being a greeter or putting tops on bottoms, then why in this country would one assume they should be able to negotiate a pay increase for that job?

Such jobs should have a value to an organization that doesn't change (is static) and other than maybe a COL (cost of living increase) which acts as a tide that rises all ships, so to speak, no increase should be able to be negotiated.

TJR

Mud,

Sorry if I but words in your mouth.

So if you have issue with me assuming that's what you meant, then must be your contention is that most are able to negotiate.

So, if that's the case, where's the beef about being exploited? Most aren't, right?

TJR

I still believe Wal Mart takes advantage of them.

It's my opinion.

I respect yours TJR, but disagree that its naive to think that Wal Mart treats them equally, even if one were to say they are treated better (I don't think that's the case).

Mud says:
I respect yours TJR, but disagree that its naive to think that Wal Mart treats them equally.

Treats them equally to whom?

I was just trying to point out the following:

You ASSUME that since SOME mentally challenged MIGHT not be able to negotiate a salary and other working arrangements that MAY OR MAY NOT ACTUALLY EVEN BE NEGOTIABLE that WalMart MUST be exploiting the handicapped.

It's a soft argument, that's all. You are entitled to it, but it's a whole lot of assumptions with little facts.

TJR

Treats them equally to whom?

Non mentally challenged employees. Where did I lose you?

You ASSUME that since SOME mentally challenged MIGHT not be able to negotiate a salary and other working arrangements that MAY OR MAY NOT ACTUALLY EVEN BE NEGOTIABLE that WalMart MUST be exploiting the handicapped.

Yes.

As much as you ASSUME they don't.

Mud, re "Where did I lose you?"....Ha.

Note however you make about 4 assumptions that each have to be valid to make your general assumption of exploitation true.

I haven't assumed anything. I don't know whether WalMart is exploiting the handicapped or not.

I was just pointing out the gross unsubstantiated nature of your opinion.

TJR

Ahhh, strange,

The buildings are old, crumbling, and of outdated styles. The interiors are unkept and cluttered. The parking lots are torn up, poorly-lit, and feel unsafe. The store locations are generally in not-so-safe, not-so-pleasant, "hood"-y areas.

When I first came to the US, this description matched my local Target, in San Berbardino Ca, perfectly. Had to go there as I could not afford to shop Wal Mart. Overpaid military, you know how it is. Anyway, now that I can afford Wally World, Target is indeed the better store. Not sure why - products are the same (Chinese crap), employees are the same (many do not speak the Lingo), stores are generally smaller with less to offer and higher priced. Weird how things change.

My local wally World is less than two years old, well lit, well maintained and I think, as I live 1.5 miles away, in a relatively decent and safe 'hood. Me thinks it is all to do with the part of the country. Maybe it's because the lettuce and radishes I like so much that are grown by the dwarf, two-year old acting, chinese teenager with no arms or legs, are half the price of other stores. Maybe it's because my Target doesn't sell groceries and Wally World is one of two choices I do have for decent veggies.

But thanks Josh for clearing up why there is always drool in my cart and limbless torsos stacking the shelves - they're cheap, downtrodden mute labor that the general public and good Americans generally ignore.

Aaahhhh - youth.

Latest posts