Sometimes I really hate wally mart!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are a few more reasons why...

Pays 11M in settlement for hiring illegal immigrants to clean their stores.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/03/18/news/fortune500/wal_mart_settlement/

Not paying overtime to their employees.

http://www.lieffcabraser.com/walmart%20lawsuit.htm

53 class action lawsuits on the same subject

http://walmartwatch.com/issues/labor_relations/

If you want to support them go right ahead just to save a few bucks.

Need more?

Caymen, is it prison labor, or slave labor...which is it?

I'm all for prison labor. I would buy ONLY-AMERICAN if more American companies made their products with prison labor.

TJR

SeattleSportTrac, to be 100% accurate WalMart vended it's janitorial service to a contracting company that hired illegals. They are guility of not looking over the shoulder of their vendor in that case, not necessarily of hiring illegals.

Also, Googling Walmart Lawsuits and finding lots of hits to make ones case is like saying Microsoft sucks because Windows has the most viruses (virii to be exact). It may seem to be a sound statement, until you recognize that being #1 makes one a very visible, easy, and appealing target.

Note, I am not defending WalMart...just trying to show an unbiased counter-point.

TJR

Tom -

If I were in Walmart's shoes, I'd close the store too. That's a free country for you. As for "slave" labor, I guess I'd have to see the evidence. I don't know the "slaves" you are talking about. I know there are many in China who are paid what we'd consider slave labor. Are they forced to work there? Maybe. I don't know the particulars but I'll be watching for them. In the meantime, there are plenty of people in rural areas in our country who are quite happy to have a job at Walmart. Were they to go back to working "mom and pop" stores, they'd never ever earn the benefits that they do earn at Walmart. In my book, making things difficult for Walmart doesn't help their... um "plight" at all.

-CB

My biggest beef with Wal-Mart is that they KNOWINGLY hire firms to produce some of their goods that use prison labor. Mind you, that is against the law.

Tom, please explain your statement.

The US government requires purchases be made from US companys first, and first on that list for many items, office furniture in particular, is UNICOR Federal Prison Industries. We, the gov't, are required, by law, to purchase from prison labor first.

UNICOR link attached. Their motto is "When the prisoners work, so does the system."

grump

Last edited by a moderator:
Caymen,

Employee's of Wal-Mart are not slaves. They are paid a salary that they agreed to accept when they started working there, and I am sure that many have gotten pay raises over the years. All Wal-mart employee's are paid at or above the Federally mandatated minimum wage.

A slave would be someone who Wal-Mart dragged off the street at gunpoint and said you will work for Wal-Mart, and you cannot leave even if you don't like the pay or benefits.

I agree that I would not work for those wages, but to someone with little education, and no marketable skills, that job may be a blessing.

Wal-Mart hires many people who people who would otherwise could not get a job at other employers, especially senior citizens who would never be hired by most other employers.

Don't believe all you heare or see on the Internet about what American businesses are doing overseas. Much of that is often fabricated by disgruntled employees, Unions, and other liberal groups who only want to destroy American businesses.

A number of years ago a Food Lion supermarket open near my house. The food was good, the prices were very good and the employees were very pleasant. About 6 months later there were several TV shows like 20/20 and Dateline that did a hatchet job on the Food Lion stores with stories from disgruntled employees claiming that the stores were putting bleach on their meat so it would look fresher and changing expiration dates etc. Well over the next six months Food Lion closed all of it's stores including the new store they opened in my town.

Later it was reported that a bunch of disgruntled employees had made up those stories because Food Lion stores were not a Union stores and they could not convince their fellow emplyees to join the union.

So in the end, the Food Lion went out of business, and all the employees lost their jobs because a small group of disgruntled employees lied in hope they would get a little more money or benefits, when all they had to do was quit and go get a job at a union store.

...Rich

the instore price is higher because you are paying for shipping, employees to stock the shelves, and overhead (building, heat, lights, insurance, taxes, etc)

Werd.

Also, if consumers didn't value a low price above all else then Wal-Mart wouldn't be buying 80% of their stuff from China. We're cutting our own throats, Wal-Mart is just providing the knife.

FYI, I have the S2 IS for over a year or two now and compared it to the S3 IS when I bought it. There was not much of a difference except in price, case color, and 1MP, so if you find the S2 cheap, consider it.

You will not be sorry with this camera, either model. I recommend a 2GB high speed SD Flash card for it from Kingston memory, and 4 rechargable or AA energizer lithiums (best).

Kingston is the only mfr. that clearly states media speeds in terms of MB per second read and write. That is how they define their 133X, 60X, etc... You can check it on their site.

Check pricegrabber.com at the link below for bottom line pricing after shipping.

Enjoy it, it rocks, you'll get addicted.

Sorry, It was reported in our local papers that Food Lion had closed all of its stores. That may have only been it's Texas stores. But the point is that all the stories about Food Lion were all fabricated by disgruntled employees who wanted to unionize Food Lion's stores. This is not someithing that happened in China and reported over the internet, this happened rhere and it was reported on natioanl and loacal news media.

The odd thing is, they never bitched about the pay or benefits they were getting, only about the store changing expiration dates and bleaching meat...and that was all a lie.

While Food Lion may not have gone out of business, the fabricated stories hurt there business enough that they closed a lot of stores including one here that had been open less than a year.

...Rich

...Rich

Kroger closed all their grocery stores in PA about 20 years ago because of union demands. It's funny to me to go to West Virginia and see a Kroger's. Just not used to seeing them any more.

Mud, exploits the handicapped how? You talking about the "special" people that hand out stickers or carts? If so, then some would applaud them for giving such folks a job at all.

Frankly, most people I have seen working at Wal*Mart seem a little challenged, but I won't go there (guess I just did).

TJR

Yes Mud,

Please tell us how Wal-Mart exploits the handicapped, or anyone for that manner??

...Rich

Latest posts