Sometimes I really hate wally mart!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake Levin

Reaction score
Rant on

So Walmart has the Canon S3 IS digital camera on sale for 319.99 online. I head over to my local walmart, 2 miles away, to grab one. I head to the electronics dept and there's the camera, with a sticker of 348.95. So I go and ask the guy if this is the correct price. He says yes. I say, "but it's online for only 319". he says " our online prices differ from the instore prices." What kind of crap is that?!?!?! Now I have to order it and have it shipped to get the $30 off. So instead I'll get it from Amazon where it's only $314 and I get from 2nd day shipping. Plus I'll buy all of my accesories at the same time meaning Walmart will lose out on my $400. not that they'll care but whatever.:angry::angry:

Rant off

Thanks for listening

jlevin, that's a common practice, both for Walmart and others. However, many of them are willing to match their own website's prices--although I'm not sure if that's a Wal-mart practice or not. Most major companies will match other companies' advertised, local store prices, many will also match unadvertised local store prices, but very few will match internet prices (other than their own) because of the potential for fake websites designed only to abuse such a policy.

Big D, yes we will be seeing new pics shortly :D Probably friday or saturday

Bill V, The store would not match their internet price. I tried. The other stores I buy from mainly, Best Buy and Circuit City, will not only match their internet price, but I can purchase it online, pay for it, and pick it up from my local store within 45 minutes. I've done that with Best Buy a couple of times and it's great!

Anything over $100 I try to buy from an online store that doesn't charge tax (meaning they don't run out of my state) and that has low if not free shipping.

For a $300+ dollar purchases that saves me another $20 or more with shipping.

TJR

Tom, I buy most of my stuff off amazon. I get free 2 day shipping and overnight shipping for 4.99. Their prices are usually the best I can find. The only time I buy something locally is if I find it for lower or if it have to have it today

Dave, it was only $5 cheaper at amazon, and I wanted it TODAY!:D LOL It's gorgeous out, I'm off, and wanted to go play photographer for the day. Now I have to wait till Friday.

best buy will price match with their online site, but you have to go to customer service to get it done.

I went through this with a promotion they had online. Buy any hdtv and get a free dvd player. The salesmen didnt want to honor it, so he asked a manager who led me to customer service, who then gave me the offer in store....

the instore price is higher because you are paying for shipping, employees to stock the shelves, and overhead (building, heat, lights, insurance, taxes, etc)

I believe Wal-Mart and Wal-Mart.com are actually different companies. They're as related as Wal-Mart and Sam's Club.

fmarano is right about Best Buy. Their computers in the store will not show an online price either. It looks like they're on the Best Buy website, but they're not. It's a setup that obviously gets a few people upset.

I know of many other places I would spend my money at other than Wal-Mart.

I would rather throw my money out of the window then give it to a company that supports slave labor.

Tom

Anything over $100 I try to buy from an online store that doesn't charge tax (meaning they don't run out of my state) and that has low if not free shipping.

For a $300+ dollar purchases that saves me another $20 or more with shipping.

TJR

Soon to change, at least for State of WA, 2008 I have to state charging sales tax no matter where I'm shipping to. Part of the new bill passed by our great Govenor of WA. Apparently, 21 states are now going to do the same think come 2008.

BTW...I don't buy anything from Wal-Mart. Their business practices border on illegal. Especially, their benefits programs and labor practices for their employees. Quite a few states have penalized them for their practices of hiring individuals.

SST,

That is why I don;t shop at Wal-Mart. They even hire companies in China that use prison labor to make the goods they sell. Wal-Mart knowingly does it too.

It isn't about them being a non-union company. It is about providing a fair wage to the employees.

Tom

SST,

That is why I don;t shop at Wal-Mart. They even hire companies in China that use prison labor to make the goods they sell. Wal-Mart knowingly does it too.

It isn't about them being a non-union company. It is about providing a fair wage to the employees.

Tom

I shop at Walmart all the time and will continue to do so. They certainly are NOT the only company to purchase goods from China - I see the same products on the shelves in many other stores. I refuse to pay more for the same products from China just because it is fashionalbe to hate Walmart. The effort really IS about unionization and the attempt by the unions to organize the largest employer in the US. Walmart has been targeted because they are the biggest dog on the block. If things are so miserable at Walmart, unions should have no problem at all getting a pro-union vote given a secret ballot. This they have failed to do.

wolfcamera.com. Offshore - no taxes. Best selection going and competitive prices. Not always the best, but more often than not taking taxes into account.

CB,

Actually, some Wal-Mart employees did vote in a union and Wal-Mart closed the store.

My biggest beef with Wal-Mart is that they KNOWINGLY hire firms to produce some of their goods that use prison labor. Mind you, that is against the law.

Isn't it great we can disagree on things?

I am not talking about the same things sold at Wal-Mart that are also sold in other stores. I am talking about Wal-Mart only goods like clothing.

Rest assured, my stand is not about Wal-Mart being non-union or being fashonable to hate Wal-Mart, but law breakers ALL should be punished. Why can they promote slave labor and then brag about being an American company for America.

Is there anything you can think of that is more un-American than Slave Labor?

I know I can't.

Tom

Latest posts