Looking for an Air Rifle

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OH dear TJR

When your retired,spellink means nothing:)

get a life dude.and perhaps stop being the site spell checker.

OH and TJR, be carefull with your dads BB pistol, that you are holding in your hands, make sure that the barrel, that comes out of the reciever, ( the long part) is pointed away from any one, you could put out an eye:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill - It is obvious you did not learn anything from the first time you were banned.:huh:

gary s., for that particular problem, I would recommend something in 300 Winchester Magnum.

Guys, stop beating each other up over air guns. If we were talking about 22LR's, I could understand the tit-for-tat, but air guns? Geez...

Speaking of 22LR, Tom, how about a silenced 22 with subsonic ammo? Now THAT would be worth the extra money, IMO. Just how far out in the country you moving? :)

This has been very insightful reading. I have learned a great deal from this thread. Not as much about air guns as I hoped and probably more about the various personalities on this board than I wanted. Now if we could just figure out a way to bring politics, religion and labor unions into the discussion...

Speaking of which, has anyone checked in to where the various brands are manufactured and what type of labor force is employed? :D :rolleyes::unsure::blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Now if we could just figure out a way to bring politics, religion and labor unions into the discussion...

Give it another few minutes and the discussion of union produced air rifles vs. non-union produced will break out...

Speaking of which, has anyone checked in to where the various brands are manufactured and what type of labor force is employed?

Crosman is made in China. It is safe to assume, they are either made by children, prisoners, or forced labor.

Tom

Caymen said:
Crosman is made in China. It is safe to assume, they are either made by children, prisoners, or forced labor.

1.3 billion people in China and we are to expect that is a safe assumption?

I disagree and I will explain why.

I'm not saying there isn't child labor, or some pockets of slavery in China; clearly both exist. But to assume that anyone outsourcing to China is by proxy using such labor seems baseless. Most companies that outsource actually pay a good fee and provide some oversight to assure such abuses don't exist, and the Chinese contractor complies because it is in their best interest.

Note I said nothing about prison labor, mostly because I am "all for it", regardless the country.

China is getting better, (I suspect) mostly because the companies that are using them for outsourcing are forcing it.

TJR

TJR,

Tounge in cheek response. Chill brother.

But, I will say since the Crosman is made in China, I will but the Gamo. Sure it is made in Spain, but I prefer to send my money to Spain vs. China.

Tom

Speaking of 22LR, Tom, how about a silenced 22 with subsonic ammo? Now THAT would be worth the extra money, IMO

Kinda what I was thinking.... Walther P22 with Tac 65 supressor and Winchester .22 Subs...

Stood next to a class III dealer when he lit one of those off into a field, that was across a very busy road and people we walking behind us. They never turned around....

Price tag: $600-700 with the tax stamp.

Any .177 air rifle will work just fine. Don't overthink this. Just watch for ricochets, those pellets can go a long way.

But, I will say since the Crosman is made in China, I will but the Gamo. Sure it is made in Spain, but I prefer to send my money to Spain vs. China.

OK, Tom, I just can't let that one go. That completely contradicts similar statements you (and others) have made previously about not buying a foreign car (Honda, Toyota, etc.) that's made here in the U.S., because "the profits/money still go back to Japan".

I just checked Crosman's website, and they're an American company, based in NY.

So either your money for a Crosman rifle is actually going to NY, or if you buy a foreign car that's made in the USA, the money's staying right here in America. Which is it?:blink:

TJR said:

Caymen, I hear what you are saying, but don't discount the $40 Crossman 760 as just cheap plastic crap. It's more than sufficient for killing an occassional squirrel now and then, and it holds up to abuse...40 years of tradition and 10million sold have to count for something.

To which Caymen replied:

TJR,

That is one of the first I looked at. Trust me, it is cheap plastic crap. Things may have changed over the last 40 years.

Go to the store and check one out for yourself. You will know what I mean.

Tom

According to the Crosman web site, the stock and forearm on the 760 are indeed made of wood.

760 XLS

The 760 is arguably the most popular airgun of all time. Over 11 million have been sold to generations of shooters. The XLS is a celebration of that heritage. It is a combination of the most popular components of different 760 models through the years.

The 760 XLS features variable pump power for increased velocity control, optional BB repetition or single-shot pellet fire, a hooded front sight and an elevation-adjustable rear sight. Its main attribute, short-stroke pump action, makes it much easier for beginners to use. The stock and forearm is a beautifully finished made from American hardwood.

Model 760XLS

Traintrac,

You would be right, but we are not talking about the 760 XLS. We are talking about the 760.

It is like saying that your Chevy Chevette is a sports car because it shares part of a name from the Corvette.

As for not supporting Crosman because the gun is made in China, that is my stand when that American company is subcontracting a Chinese company to build and American product.

There is a difference between Ford Motor Company opening a plant to build a car and Ford paying a company to build a car.

I choose not to support Crosman because they are turning their back on the American people. If the Gamo was made in China, they would not get my business either.

I would rather send my money to Spain than to China.

Tom

I found an old 760 in my grandmas basement and i use it to shoot the geese in that eat the grass seed in my back yard in the mornings. It is cheap and plastic however it shoots fairly well. Doesnt have enough umph to kill a goose, which is good for me because its illegal to kill them here. but most of the time it will get them off the yard. sometimes they simply ignore it. thats when i paint their butts orange with the paintball gun.

Clay

As a long time duck hunter, pls don't shoot the geese with your pellet rifle.

You could wound them to the point of them dying down the road.

Just paintball them.