Looking for an Air Rifle

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom you need to find the root cause of this attack before killing said animal.

Did you eat any nuts prior to the attack, even peanut butter.

When they smell nuts, thay go ballistic.:rolleyes:

let the little guy be!

he was only minding his own business when you came by and disturbed him.

did he bite your wife?

if so, i would be more concerned about rabies.

i have squirells, racoons, possum, deer, wild turkeys and all sorts of creaturs running around my property. they can be a pain in the ass at times but blowing its brains out is not the answer.

it's called living with nature!

Last edited by a moderator:
Did Theresa get bit by that squirrel?

did he bite your wife?

if so, i would be more concerned about rabies.

No, the squirrel did not bite her. That was out concern. If a squirrel attacks someone, it makes you wonder if there was something wrong. Finding what is wrong with it before taking care of it is asking for trouble. Something wasn't right with it. If it wouldn't have jumped on her foot, I would not have cared about it. I love animals. We have deer, squirrels, rabbits, groundhogs, and many other animals. I let them be. If they attack me or my family, they will die.

Tom, flashlights and lasers? For a BB gun to bust squirrels with?

I agree with you. The again, we plan on buying a home in the country. I would like to have something that I can use, if needed, to clear the property of troublesome critters, I would rather have something that is quality.

I have checked out some of the $60.00 pellet guns. Garbage. Cheap plastic crap. The quality difference is like night and day. To get something nice, you are looking to spend $150.00. Though the rifle I am looking at is $220.00, I have a $20.00 off coupon and if I buy the gift cards at the grocery store, I get 24.00 off on a tank of gas. Do the math, I get a $220.00 rifle for $175.00. Best of all, it is quality.

IMO, buying junk is nothing but a waste of money. Why buy garbage when for a few bucks more, I can buy something that will last me years to come?

Tom

Sounds like a red squirrel! They can be really fiesty at times, and they don't back down from much. A fox squirrel, on the other hand, would run from a human.

I also have Benjiman from when I was a kid. Yes, it will do the job just fine. No accuracy problems with mine...

Good luck!

Tom, the Phantom is very well put together and the synthetic stock was the selling point. (also the price of $130) It's not bulky like the wood stock ones and feels like a real rifle when held.;)

I originally looked at the Sierra Pro.

What caught my eye was the wood stock and, of course, sale price. The build quality of that Crossman vs. cost against the others in the store were like night and day/ The sale price of the Crossman Sierra Pro was about $150.00 with a regular price of $175.00.

Ultimatly, that is what lead me to look at the Gamo's.If I am going to spend the money, why not pay a little more ans get top quality.

I am not worried about $25.00 here or there if I know I am getting the best money can buy.

Tom

Caymen, I hear what you are saying, but don't discount the $40 Crossman 760 as just cheap plastic crap. It's more than sufficient for killing an occassional squirrel now and then, and it holds up to abuse...40 years of tradition and 10million sold have to count for something.

Heck, neck time I am at my folks place I am going to grab mine. It hasn't been shot in almost 30 years, but I am sure that it will fire right up.

If you want to spend over $150 and feel that you got quality for something you will use a few times here and there, go ahead. If it were me, I would save the money towards a down payment for that house out of town, so you can get away from all the bad elements you seem to be exposed to right now.

TJR

TJR,

That is one of the first I looked at. Trust me, it is cheap plastic crap. Things may have changed over the last 40 years.

Go to the store and check one out for yourself. You will know what I mean.

Tom

Things were much better built in the 1970's. Seriously, the cheapie Crossmans of today feel like a plastic toy gun. The barrel was very short and the gun felt cheap. So cheap, I almost walked out.

That is why I want to buy a good one. I may spend more now, but buying a gun is an investment. You buy it now and take care of it and for years to come you will still have a working gun.

Buy junk and you are throwing money out the window.

Tom

Caymen said:
Things were much better built in the 1970's.

I agree for the most part, but I guess that all depends on the "thing."

American automobiles, for instance, were built stronger then, but I don't think they were built better, not overall.

Still, I'd rather have a early 70's muscle car in mint condition than any econo-sports car out there today.

TJR

TJR, let me ask you this. Is your Crosman have a metal or plastic reciever. Mine that I bought 3 years ago is all plastic except the barrel. It isn't as sturdy as I remembered them as a kid. I'd be afrid to drop it out in the field and have it hit a rock. Seriously. I'm only keeping mine for when my son gets older to teach him how to shoot and handle guns safely. Other than that, I would have just discarded it and chock it up to "lesson learned".;)

Tom, I have shot a Gammo (my dad has one), Beeman (friend has one), and Remington (friend has one). All of them has held and shot my Crosman. They all said that they would have bought the Crosman if they had to do over. Either way, be sure and go with the synthetic stock. It'll feel much better to you that the wood ones.

Here is where I did my research before buying. Nice site to see what's out there.

One of the guys that I work with has a Remington. He says it is a piece of crap. He would not reccomend it to anyone.

I am up to all recomendations. That is why I am asking here and other places.

I always do all the research I can to buy the best I can buy.

Tom

Stone,

What is a receiver? I'm not a big gun guy. Is it the part a scope connects to? If so, I am sure that was metal. I had a scope on my 760, mostly so I could play "Metal Gear Solid" back before there was MGS...state of the art was Atari 2600 Combat with the richocet shot.

The only plastic I remember on the 760 was the stock and the grip of the lever/pump (both meant to look like wood). Maybe the little hole cover for the BB's reservoir was plastic too, but black plastic. Not really sure about that, though.

I don't remember any other part in plastic.

My son's daisy red ryder has more plastic parts than I remember, like the lever and the safety mechanism.

TJR