Looking for an Air Rifle

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Schindler

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
Reaction score
Long story short, but we were attacked by a Squirrel. This is not joke. We were working around the house and a squirrel ran out from under one of my cars and attacked Theresa. I kicked the snot out of it but did not kill it.

Now I am in the market for an air rifle.

What I am looking for.

I want to stay around $200.00. ($220.00-$230.00 is fine, but prefer to not go higher...unless an extra 5 bucks gets me that much more...know what I mean?)

Anyways, I have essentially settled with either a Beeman 1090 or a Gamo Varmint Hunter.

I like the Beeman because you gan swap barrels and use either a .177 cal or .22 cal pellet. I like the Gamo because of the flash light and laser capibility.

I have been talking to people at work about this too. I am trying to get as much information and opinions as I can get.

We plan on getting a new house outside of the city, so this will also be used for varmint hunting along with target practice. Nothing more that that.

Advice?

Tom

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!:lol:

[Broken External Image]:

Sorry, I couldn't resist interjecting a little Friday humor!:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no personal experience with either of those guns, but a friend has the Gamo and swears it the best thing since sliced bread.

You just got a gun. Clearly that can kill a squirrel...a racoon, or whatever needed.

I live in the city. It is not responsible of a gun owner to discharge a gun of that magnitude with neighbors 50' away from you.

Tom

If you haven't made your mind up on one yet, check out a Benjamin air rifle. I used to use one as a young teen for target practice and shooting other things that I now regret and rather not mention:eek:.

Very powerful for an air rifle and more than sufficient for taking care of that little devil:angry:.

I would get one that you can pump manually as opposed to one that uses a co2 cartridge, you'll get more consistent velocity and you won't always have to buy cartridges.

Good Luck

go to cabellas or bass pro

or heck even a pump gun from walmart should do the trick

just find one with the most FPS you can get your hands on walmart has one 1200fps here

mine is rated at 1100fps with 10pumps

use pellets with flat tips i use them for killing rabbits in my moms garden.

Here is what I use. It's a Crosman Phantom and it shoots 1000ft/sec. It puts them down nicely and is just under the speed of a .22 short. No load "crack" and still enough power to put down vermin. If you nuy one, go to Walmart and get the Hollowpoint pellets.

Tom, flashlights and lasers? For a BB gun to bust squirrels with?

If you want a nice air gun, go for it, but you don't need a $200 air rifle for squirrels. I have a Crossman 700, made before expensive air guns became mainstream. It does those squirrels in just fine, with either a BB or a lead pellet. Anything that gets you 600 fps or better should do the trick, unless you plan to shoot them out of the neighbors' trees.

Did Theresa get bit by that squirrel?

Another vote for Crossman.

I had the Crossman 760 as a kid. 10 pumps and a pellet and Rocky will never play with Bullwinkle again. Cheap gun if you can still find them, and the plus is that there is no need for C02.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
10 pumps and a pellet and Rocky will never play with Bullwinkle again

:lol::lol::lol:

I still have a Crossman 760. It's surprisingly accurate and yes, it will kill animals of various sizes.