Why I Carry a Gun

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now dont you guys worry about Bill insulting me or my wife...

I dont get easily offended...

Bill..my issue with the guy was that I didnt know him from you..never seen him before..yet he handed me a loaded firearm...in a store..and showed off this permit as if it were a trophy..

The comments my wife and I made are nothing more than comments that you and your wife would make to each other to suggest someone's stupidity..

This is why I agree with part of what you said earlier...

Even though your insults are a total train wreck..I'm gonna ask Todd to overlook this one..

As I said before..I enjoy reading ALL of your posts..

If you pulled your gun, you would most likly Die, if you posed no threat, you would live.

Funny you say that. I recall, at one time, we were told on how to deal with hijackers. All you do is just comply with what they want and you live. Fight back and you die.

We know how well that worked out. I refuse to stand there and let someone have control over me.

I do not carry a gun because I think I will be able to eliminate the threat I may face. I carry a gun so that I have a chance to protect myself. Just because I have a gun doesn't mean if I am in a situation, I will or must pull it out.

All I ask for is a chance. Not being armed, you are sitting right at 0%.

Tom

yes I have a BMG

Sweet. I am so jelous! I would LOVE a .50BMG, I'd settle for a .50AE Desert Eagle as well:cool:

If you are going to carry an unloaded firearm, you might as well be licensed to carry a brick, conceiled of course.

AK's, SKS's, etc. are indeed quality firearms, I own them and I would not if I felt they were unsafe or dangerous to use in a proper fashion. On the other hand, I do not own a single "sport" gun. That is my choice. Why? I am not a hunter (at least at the moment).

As a citizen of this country, the Supreme Court has stated clearly that owning firearms is my individual right. I am not a militia member (though an arguement could be made that every male citizen between 18 and 45 is part of the unofficial militia). So why do I own them?

Because I can.

The 2nd A, is tottaly outdated and needs to be revised as it was written over 200 yrs ago

Odd, it was written at the same time as the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th amendments.

Oh, the Constitution is older than that.

The Declaration of Independance is older than the Constitution.

I guess they are null and void as well.... kinda kills your whole arguement on re-writing the 2nd. Facts man.

just give them what they demand, no gunplay, nobody got killed

I'm glad for your safety.

What happens next time?

Blast the door with a 12Ga shotgun loaded with #2 shot (end of problem) call 911

There is the problem. 911 should be first. Arming yourself is second. Notifing the perp is 3rd, taking action is very last thing. You're right, my TV, stereo etc. is not worth killing over. However, since my kids are on the opposite end of the house as I am, I will be confronting the individual if they even make a move towards that end of the house. I will not take chances.

I am not a shoot first person. I will give the person all the opportunity to GTFO of my house. Threaten my kids and we have a different story.

When seconds count, the police are minutes away, even if (like in my case) they live next door.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet. I am so jelous! I would LOVE a .50BMG, I'd settle for a .50AE Desert Eagle as well:cool:

Get the .500 S&W Magnun. The .50AE Desert Eagle is a let down. I have shot them both, as my wife has also, and we both agree. The .500 S&W Magnum is the better load.

I know where you can get one...

Click the link below.

Tom

Wolf,

I too don't see the issue with the guy in your original story.

By your own admission you said you saw the guy's concealed gun and asked him about it. The first question I have for you is: "WHY ASK?" What right does one have to ask what is on another's person? Also, after asking, why the shock when the guy answered the question by showing the gun?

The guy probably thought you were a gun enthusiast, which it seems that you are.

Why get all bent out of shape that the guy is a braggard gun enthusiast? Many gun enthusiasts are proud of their guns and like to show them off. Even if done in a public place (which is a judgement call and this guy showed bad judgement, granted), doing so can be done safely and somewhat discreetly.

Likewise, if you had issue with the guy showing you his gun in public, and yet had the stones to ask him about it in the first place, why not simply do the forthright thing and hand it right back to him and state that you probably don't think it is a good idea to show it in public, but that you would be interested in seeing it out in the parking lot, near your car. Wouldn't that be a more appropriate response?

An inappropriate response is to steal the man's ammo, ammo that he might come to need and expect to have in a later situation. Frankly, if he were to get into some real trouble, and need to pull his empty weapon, I expect you could be complicit in any harm that might befall him.

Lastly, it is equally inappropriate to indicate that this man's actions were worthy of being killed or pistol whipped over.

Of the people in your story, that man game off as the one most well adjusted to carry a concealed weapon, in my opinion.

TJR

If you go around handing your loaded weapon to a stranger..merely because he asks about the kind of weapon you carry...and you consider that normal behavior..

Then I cant really say anything that is going to help you..:D

Accuracy is much more important in a handgun fight than caliber. The firearm one should carry should be the firearm that one can fire most accurately. A .22 in the spinal column is much more effective that a .50 anywhere else. A shot in the spinal column or the head is the only injury that will stop someone. A shot in any other part of the body (although it may be fatal) takes about 2 to 3 seconds for the body to know it's been shot. In 2 to 3 seconds you can fire a lots of bullets. There are only a couple of places where a individual shot will open their hand. Special thanks go out to third world countries for studies of the subject.

Wolf said:
If you go around handing your loaded weapon to a stranger..merely because he asks about the kind of weapon you carry...and you consider that normal behavior.

I didn't say NORMAL. I even said it showed bad judgement.

Also, IMHO, bad judgement was you asking him what he was carrying. That whole incident had a liklihood of going down hill from there...again, IMHO (in my humble opinion). Not surprising that it did.

I still don't know why you asked. You never really explained that. If you asked because you were interested then don't be alarmed if he showed you. If he handed you a loaded gun, and you know that's not correct gun handling then you should have not accepted it, graciously; or asked if it was loaded before accepting it. Or, better yet, as I said above, simply stated that you "didn't want to see it", or that you would be glad to "see it in the parking lot."

Again, you asked. You created the situation. Once it was created you could have diffused it any number of ways that were better for that situation, and the gun owner after that encounter.

You asked, he handed a potentially loaded weapon to you, and you accepted it. There are three actions there. I think all three were wrong...two of those actions were yours.

TJR

If you go around handing your loaded weapon to a stranger..merely because he asks about the kind of weapon you carry...and you consider that normal behavior..

Then I cant really say anything that is going to help you.

But that just shows that how much training is lacking even for those that have a CHL license and why I have always said getting a gun should involve more proficiency training than we presently have. I don't care what the hell you buy but prove to me your responsible first.

TomT,

I'm not a handgun owner myself, but from my old NRA training I kind of remember being instructed to never allow someone to hand you a firearm that you don't know to be unloaded. I was told that the person handing you the gun should unload it in your presence (or otherwise display that it is unloaded), or that they should set it on a table in front of you.

If that is common training, that both handing a loaded weapon (or a weapon you have not displayed to be unloaded), or accepting said seems to be a dangerous practice that training should teach against.

TJR

That is correct TJR. Back when I had to annually qualify for my peace officer certification, if I had ever handed our range master a loaded weapon like that then I would have been promptly sent home and never allowed to carry a weapon again.

I can't for the life of me see how the guy who handed over the gun was not at fault.

If people are going to hand over their guns like that, then forget buying one to commit a crime, just watch for a guy packing heat to walk into the target building, ask him for his gun, and use it to commit the crime. For extra irony and justice, shoot him with his own weapon.

Seriously, the guy handed over a deadly weapon to someone without knowing his character, and almost certainly could not have contained our forum member should he have decided to use said gun maliciously.

You don't sit on another man's motorcycle, 2 men cannot ride on the same motorcycle, you look straight ahead at the urinal, don't talk in an elevator, and you don't just hand someone your weapon...these are basic rules of life. The guy in question flagrantly disregarded what is one of the most important on that list. ;)

TJR, you don't have to worry about the guy trying to use his gun in a situation later on and realize (the hard way) that it isn't loaded...he'd probably relinquish it to his attackers without a second thought.

Just going to chime in here. I recently purchased a new ar-15 came with one mag. A buddy of mine came over to see it. I released the magazine , opened the bolt and handed it to him. In my belief that is responsible gun ownership. The funny thing is i didn't even own any ammo at the time, there was no way it could of been loaded unless the dealer sold it with a round in the chamber. That was how i was taught, it was a natural reaction to take the mag out and cycle the bolt. I'm not pointing any fingers as to who, what, why, or where, Just saying how i was trained. We buy and sell guns in the local tavern, everyone has the same routine remove the mag cycle the bolt make sure it isn't loaded then handle the weapon.

I learned a lesson the hard way. Now, before handing any gun to ANYONE else, I drop the mag and check the chamber, or pop the cylinder out.

If the mag is loaded and they intend to shoot properly and safely, I will hand them the mag and they can insert, rack and fire as they are ready. If it's a revolver, the cylinder stays open until theya re ready to close it and fire.

If and when I start carrying, and someone asks to see what I am carrying, there will be a flat out "NO" if we are in a place that could be compromisingly open to anyone to see. If we are in a parking lot or secluded area, it will depend on the person obviously, but as before I would drop the mag, check the chamber and hand it over with the slide locked back.