Why I Carry a Gun

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a little old, from 2005, but notice how guns is the smallest percentage overall in both deaths, and accidental deaths.

Bill the second amendment is an INDIVIDUAL right which was supported by the Supreme Court decision. The first nine amendments in the Bill of Rights are INDIVIDUAL rights. Following the Federalist papers would lead you to conclude that it was there to protect the individual against a tyrannical government , if the situation arose. Our founding fathers would roll over in their graves if they thought that they did not have the right to personally protect themselves and their families.

If the present gun laws were enforced, the bad guys would not get away with what they do while armed. A plea bargain reduced from armed assault to discharging a weapon within city limits is a far stretch to upholding the intent of the law.

Years back there was an article in the Hartford paper showing how Congress wanted to get rid of "Saturday Night Specials" and showed the confiscated cache to exemplify their position. In the picture was a Browning High Power, A PPKS Walthers, A .357 Ruger, an S&W .38 and a Colt Python. The only one that one could consider a Saturday Night Special was a Charter Arms 38. These politicians have NO idea of what their talking about.

Bill, there IS A HUGE responsibility placed on you when you carry and one should not take it lightly. Having said that I see no reason to deny people the right to defend themselves. You are ultimately responsible for your own actions and safety. It behooves you to be very proficient and fully familiar with your weapon.

In my opinion, if you pull out your gun it better be to shoot it, 'cause anything less you were not that fearful for your safety of life to warrant pulling it out. It should be used when you don't give a damn about the possible legal ramifications because you TRULY feared for your life.

Again just my opinion.

Man, I don't dare to opinionate on this post.

Just had to post though cause Todd's directive put a vision of Clint Eastwood holding a 44mag in my head saying "make my day". :lol:

I think anyone carrying a concealed dog or cat ..needs to fall down..

I dont however entertain the idea that everyone carrying a gun is experienced enough to handle what they may well have to do...nor do I think everyone has enough marksman skills to hit their target everytime..

Not saying that anyone posting here falls in that category..

Not everyone that drives a vehicle can actually drive..

I don't disagree with that Wolf.

I took the minatory class to get my CCW, and I won't pretend that it makes me a trained killer. I don't want to be a trained killer, if I did I would have joined the military. It did however make me think about the consequences of just having a gun on me, let alone removing it from the holster.

I wouldn't have a problem with regular testing for CCW holders, or with requiring more training. I believe as you stated the same should be true for driving though as there are far more deaths from automotive accidents every year than there are from gun accidents.

I agree with Wolf. I am an NRA pistol/rifle/shotgun instructor could could not agree with you more. Many people are not proficient or responsible enough to carry safely. I think stricter requirements, especially in safety, should be required and demonstrated periodically. Having said that, I don't think that CCWs should be banned or so restricted as to prevent their obtainment by responsible citizens.

JD..I see what you are saying...and I do get it..

mikec..I couldnt have said it better...

Not 2 weeks ago..the wife and I were in a store..I saw the guy behind us had a gun under his shirt...I asked him what he was carrying...he took out a Hi-Point 9mm and handed it to me so I could check it out..I popped the clip..and it was loaded..

It was a pretty scary thought that if a situation developed in that store..this idiot could have either spent rounds with all the people standing in line at the register or wussed out and surrendered the weapon to a bad guy...

He then whips out his concealed weapon permit and starts telling me how he wouldnt think twice about killing someone if he had to..

But I'm holding his gun in one hand and his loaded clip in the other..so as he bragged I unloaded the clip in my hand...then put the clip back in his gun which he stuffed back in his shirt...I wish I could have seen his face when he figured out he was carrying around an unloaded firearm..

My wife said I should have shot him....I think I should have at least pistol-whipped him..

And for the record...my wife and I both carry firearms..

Wolf, I fail to see in your story what this guy had done wrong... besides being a little too mouthy. If he was carrying, and carrying legally nonetheless, why wouldn't his weapon be loaded?

On second read, I have to assume you find fault with him taking the gun out and handing it to you in the store? If so, I agree that's not the time or place to be showing off a loaded pistol. Also, anyone who's truly familiar with their weapon should be able to easily tell the weight difference between a full clip and an empty clip.

suppose thats a good thing, your wife was right, you should have just popped him in the head.

your wife is one brick shy of a load dude.:blink:

Wow that is sad on multiple levels.

I don't like to carry my XD because I feel it's too large to conceal effectively since I'm a pretty thin guy and typically only wear a t-shirt. I don't want ANYONE to know I'm carrying, that is the whole point of concealed.

OK bill, that does it for me. Insult the messenger all you want but now that you've brought in insults towards the messengers wife...enough.

Clint, er, I mean Todd, THIS is definately a bootable offense!!!

But I implore you to NOT delete the post / thread due to one posters ignorance.

Last edited by a moderator:
He should not expose his weapon in a public place ( in CT its illegal) as it can be mistaken for intimidation. Secondly, as a safe gun handler he should have removed the clip and the one in the chamber if there was one. Obviously the receiver of the weapon checks it for himself again. more people are killed with empty guns than you'd believe.

As to knowing the weight of a loaded verses a non loaded weapon one should determine if it an alloy or non-alloy frame. A light frame PPK loaded weights about the same as a standard PPK without ammo. Not always that easy, especially if you are not familiar with the weapon. ALWAYS ASSUME IT IS LOADED. Just a suggestion.

dave, Chill

Pistol whip the guy , for what? His wife says you should have shot him? Why?

thats nuts

I am chilled bill. Always am as a matter of fact. I just can't appreciate in anyway shape or form, attacks on non-participating parties.

Like when I was in High school during the 70's and the comeback of the time was "your Momma" Really??????

The poster is responsible for what the poster posts.

go back back and read his idiot post, I should have pistol whipped the Guy, my wife said i should have shot him.

The guy did nothing wrong, he was no threat, he had no gun, so why should he be shot to death, or at the least, pistol whipped?

This is what is scary about nut cases that carry.

Indeed, the poster interjected another party's comment but that is mear hearsay bill!

No need to insult someone upon hearsay!!!

I digress and am done with comments on this post.

Guess you have nothing more to say dave, other than to call for me being banished from the site.

You obviously feel the unarmed person should have been shot to death as per his wifes recomendation, or at the very least pistol whipped, for what dave?

what did the guy do wrong?

He gave up his gun, willingly for inspection, the inspector states that he should have pistol whipped the guy (why?) The inspectors wife says (you should have shot him,WHY?)

real spooky stuff Dave

jdbox,

as you i am still an active member on this site even though i no longer have a trac. i have had 3 tracs and have helped other members as well helped organize meets. i have pretty much given aftermarket parts off one my tracs to fellow members. not to mention demo aftermarket parts for a sponsor. i still support this site to this day.

do i want you to leave. no.

you have made comments about me and you stressed that you were unhappy with some members so i gave you a suggestion. most ( if not all don't like me ), but i still sleep very well at night.

now as far as guns, i have one pointed at my head right now. i just got home from watching my nj nets get beat up by the ny knicks. the last game of the season, and again the nets are not in the nba playoffs :(

peace

Bill you're taking things to literally. No reasonable gun owner is going to shoot or pistol whip anyone for being stupid. What Wolf is implying is that his stories main focus is on an idiot gun owner who is a disgrace to all of us legal and responsible owners. He needs to be removed from the gun owning community. While his description may be harsh, it's no different than saying you want to beat someone, or slap the ish out of them.

Gary I am glad you don't want me to leave, my unhappiness with members is only on specific topics where personal attacks start to happen. I love the political/off topic discussions when they stay on topic and not on person. I don't want to quiet any members input, regardless of whether they agree with me or not, I just want every member to show respect to the next member and that seems to be slipping.

I don't totally follow your gun pointed at your head comment though... and I don't follow basketball so maybe that's why..