Trucker's Strike on April 1

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmm. didn't i just read something about an executive order allowing the executive branch to seize control of the nation indefinitely (meaning even across term limits) and operate independant and without supervision of the other 2 branches if there was a "national emergency" declared... that could never happen though... right?

All the shipping companies, power companies, airlines etc. charge fuel adjustment charges, if they don't, they should...

Sorry for the long post...

I work in the logistics group of my company where our trucking spend is $50 million annually... One of my jobs is to monitor the diesel fuel prices weekly and adjust our fuel surcharge matrix accordingly. I have also read several industry articles on the strike, so I have some direct knowledge of what is going on.

The idea of the strike started at a T/A truck stop in Iowa by an owner-operator (someone who owns their truck and either works as a contractor to a big trucking company or only works for them). The fuel prices have skyrocketed, but the fuel surcharges have not move enough and/or fast enough to keep up. Typically, and my company does this, we base our fuel surcharge on the previous week's average according to the government (http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/oog/info/gdu/gasdiesel.asp). The last three weeks, the US average for diesel jumped over 30 cents to just under $4.00 per gallon. That said, if their is a 10 cent jump in price, a driver is losing at the pump immediately and he will get reimbursed on the previous week's low price. Add to the problem is that the driver may not get reimbursed for the cost for up to 30 days. The driver is always behind directly at the pump.

Every shipper is paying a fuel surcharge. It can be anywhere from $.35 to $.55 per mile. This added onto the freight bill. Most freight charges are net 15 or net 30 days. The driver has to wait. If he is a contractor, the company he works for may not share the fuel surcharge completely. The company takes a cut. The driver is out more.

Another factor killing the owner-operators is insurance. Insurance for a lot of the drivers is based on their credit. If they are losing money because of fuel, they are probably relying on credit to get by. The more credit/debt they take on, the lower their credit score and credit worthiness. The insurance companies see the lower credit ranking and raise their premiums to the driver due to what they feel is increased liability (that's another soap box issue).

So you have three issues impacting the drivers: huge jumps in price where fuel surcharges don't keep up, drivers not getting their full fuel surcharge and having to wait for it, and the insurance premiums going up. Those factors can crush an independent owner operator. Unfortunately, striking could hurt a driver more. Obviously, they have to have loads to stay in business. However, if they strike, it may cost them more is lost shipments, lost goodwill with customers, and losing their equipment due to their inability to pay for it.

I feel their pain, but at the same time, my job to is to prevent my company from also feeling the pain. I push back against mid-year rate increases and our fuel surcharge matrix is about $.20 lower than the average. That said, I am part of the problem. My company makes plastic bottles/containers for milk, juice, syrup, cat litter, and just about anything else you might have in your house. We build the fuel in and past the cost onto our customer.

The government is a part of the problem and the solution. A cap on fuel prices won't solve the problem...the costs and loss will still be passed onto the consumer in increased prices as we have been seeing. The government did pass more stringent fuel economy standards for the large trucks. That is still being phased in. It is helping...average fuel economy for big trucks is improving, but not fast enough. A big contributor is federal and state fuel taxes. At the current average of $4.00 for diesel, taxes make up around 14 to 15%, which is around $.60. That gets the cost down to $3.40 per gallon, but where does the money come from to fix the roads? Bad roads beat up the trucks and the maintenance costs are passed onto the consumer, so taking the taxes out won't help per se.

I don't know if their is a right answer. Our economy needs to improve, the dollar needs

Last edited by a moderator:
Fuel for truckers is a necessity THEY NEED IT TO SURVIVE. The Owner Operators of this country are the last of a dieing breed (small business owners) There is not as many as their used to be. Sadly.

The can't make an income, run their business (their truck), pay their bills AND support their families due the cost of fuel rising.

With the cost of fuel rising ...it WILL be passed on to the grocers, and everyone else that depends on TRUCKS (not just owner operators) Trucking industry as a whole, to DELIVER the GOODS.

I wish the truckers would strike ALL OF THEM. (although, I know it won't happen) But you betcha I hope they do. IF they ALL join forces it would work.

The strike iwould be their way of VOICING the opinion and DEMAND of ever single person that drives in this country.

When there is no solution presented...present the answer LOUD AND STRONG.

remember though...right now, we have an oil man in the White House ....who is more than likely (if not him...his family from my home state) also making a killing somehow off the rising cost of fuel.

Good article,especially the last paragraph,Everybody is going to have to suffer.

And suffer they will, The Middle class, the lower class, people on fixed incomes that will not be able to afford not only gas but food, heating oil etc.

as I see it we have no control over what the saudis charge for Oil, thats the problem.

The american oil companys are making huge profits, but thats the american way, capitalism is what this country was and is founded on.

Is enough oil on this continant to supply us for a long, long time.

We need to drill for it and be able to refine it, we may need to sacrifice part of our ecosystem to do it (sadly)

If they ALL as a whole, park...it will send the messege loud and clear.

What everyone else should do is go now~ fill up your cars and get to the grocery store and fill your freezers and store up on can goods.

. If this is a go, it will go for a few days or a week maybe two like the article says.

Depends on the stubborn and sincerity of the truckers.

...hey? it worked in the 70's ..didn't it.

They are saying enough is enough. and so should we all.

I stand behind them.

Unions are bad for America. Anyone that strikes should be arrested. :rolleyes: If you do not like the price of fuel, buy fuel somewhere else. If a company os price gauging you, do you really want to buy fuel from them?

If anyone here is hoping a strike this this (it will never happen, too many scabs out there) will bring prices down and succeeds, remember who did this for you. Unions! Sick Pay, vacation time, 40 hour work week, safe working conditions, and a fair wage...your welcome!

Proud member of Boilermakers Local 900, Barberton, Ohio.

Tom

Tom

When all four stations at the intersection where i buy gas $3.89 a gal,Shell, chevron, vellaro, 76, are the same price, as is rotten robbie down the street.

How do you buy fuel someplace else?

Bill, I made a rhetoric comment. It was aimed at the union busting memebers here that would do anything to eliminate unions, even if it means destroying this country.

I know it is impossible to buy fuel elsewhere. Just like working for a bad guy. Sometimes, it is impossible to avoid the scam artist. This is where it take a grassroots movement to change something that smells funny.

Tom

Wow, I never knew how imporetant unions were...imagine, destroying the entire country because of union busting.

A bit self-important, don't you think?

A streike wont work, the price of oil is set by commodities brokers, not oil companies.

"record" profits means nothing except there is more money involved. Of course there is record profits, there are more people buying gasoline that ever.

What is it that you want? Oil companies to give you free gasoline? Truckers to make $200,000 a year? oil companies to go out of business?

Detach the emotion and try to think. You will see how stupid a strike actually is.

DoctorCAD,

Put on your glasses. You can not read without them. I did not say Unions would destroy the country, I did say there are people that would do anything to bust the Unions, even if it means they have to destroy the country to do it. Without wearing glasses, you can not read properly. I will quote the comment.

It was aimed at the union busting memebers here that would do anything to eliminate unions, even if it means destroying this country

So you can see, I never said that Unions keep this country together. You read that because you didn't read what I said.

Detach the emotion and try to think. You will see how stupid a strike actually is.

Actually, I agree. A strike is the absolute last thing you do. Did you know a strike is actually nothing more than a formal boycott?

I agree, the oil companies do not set the prices. The more we globalize industry, send good paying jobs to 3rd world countries, the higher gas prices will rise. When we give money to the competition tro buy the same stuff we buy, there will be higher prices.

We only have ourself to blame.

Tom

Technically, we are not at war since war has never deen declared. Unfortunatly, since there is a republican in office, he may call foul and claim it is illegal.

Seriously, is the USA at war or not?

- Caymen

Tom, yes the US is at war (or engaged in a military conflict, authorized by Congress, if you care about semantics), and have been every since 9/11. We currently have two conflicts (wars)...one in Iraq and the other in Afghanistan. We also are engaged in a dozen or so other countries under a mission sometimes called The Global War on Terrorism/Extremism.

We reached a sad milestone last week, after five years of war in Iraq. We passed the 4000th US military member killed in that war. It was on the news and in the papers. News is free on the internet at places like CNN, MSNBC, BBC, etc. Sometimes it is nice to read so you know what is going on in the World. ;)

Nelson,

I read the paper every day. Some claim that war was never declared when we invaded Iraq.

That is what I am saying.

Tom

tom,

unions have done NOTHING for me !

i have what I worked for, i did not need a crutch to help get where i am.

if anything, unions are assisting in the economic failures of this country.

and you mention " scabs , those are people that are just trying to make a living, not expecting the " you owe me attitude ", as some union workers think.

come to new york, you see it first hand.

Latest posts