Trucker's Strike on April 1

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin Allan

Reaction score
I hear that all the owner-operators are going to start striking on April 1st to protest high diesel prices. They want the president to implement price controls on diesel fuel to cap the price at $2.00 a gallon. Many of them claim they are not making any money hauling their loads, and for some reason it took them a month or two to realize how bad the costs were and that now it is better for them to not work than to keep driving and taking a loss on each haul?

Yeah its totally crazy right now. I agree with the truckers. They aren't really making anything due to high prices. I mean, cost for fuel might range about $500-700 at every fill up. I don't know what they make, but in the paper, I always see, they pay for like $0.48 or so per mile. And that ain't really good at all. I am too a trucker, but I work for county government and I don't pay for the fuel. If I did, I'd either be on strike or finding a new career.

What do you suggest DoctorCAD? Though I agree that the gubment stepping in isn't a good idea, and there is plenty to be said for supply and demand, this country is and has been run for 7+ years, the pres and vp, by oil people, and amazingly enough, despite prices being so high suddenly oil companies are reporting record profits on a regular basis. Something that didn't seem to happen when prices were lower. Coincidence? Maybe, but you have to admit, it seems like theres more to it.

Not That they won't, but I believe it is against federal law for truckers to strike.

How can that be? They're not government employees.

Either way, if prices go much higher, they won't have to strike. They'll stop driving because they can't afford to anymore. Many leasing drivers pay out of pocket for fuel.

Larry i believe independant, owner operators can strike, The vast majority of drivers belong to the teamsters union, which I believe cannot strike under Federal law, I may be wrong tho.

Just food for thought.

And I hope I am wrong, as a nation wide truckers strike would bring our economy to near collapse, would be catastrophic

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope they strike, these prices are crazy and there is no reason for it....

The gas prices are just the tip of the iceberg of B.S. that the U.S.A. needs to get fixed.

I wonder what that moron Bush will think about a strike,and it affects on his worhtless rebate plan to fix the economy.

chad

If the truckers strike, there may be no gas to be boaght, nor milk eggs, meat or produce

this could be a very bad thing.

I also don't think that the majority of trucks could strike, but they could take a vacation or quit. It would however have major repercusions for the economy and would make the housing market the least of our worries. I also agree thought that something needs to be done about gas prices even though US gas prices have traditional been lower that the rest of the world. It is insane that oil companies are reporting quarterly earnings that are higher than the privious quarter and setting records for PROFIT not net intake. Yet, I have heard about refineries beening shut down for simple safety violations or problems from lack of maintiance. It would be one thing if per barel prices were setting records and profits were falling, but that is not the case. Someone needs to look at the oil companies books and figure out what is going on there. Unforeantly it wont happen as long as Bush is in office as he is in bed and has a stake in the oil companies profit. I also don't think that it will happen right away if democrat gets into office. Not because they wont or can't, butI am afriad that there will be some idiot in the country that isn't ready for a female, or a black president.

They'd lie about fixing the oil problem, and when confronted about it, once in the oval office, they'll just say that their memory wasn't what it used to be.

"Bush Lied"...but so did everyone else in this presidential race!

The next president won't fix our problems--that's a lazy outlook that has contributed to the situation that we are in now as a country. Someone has to do something for results, and if not you, then who will? (and obviously you are not taking action)

how can he take action he is not in power to take action lololo We need to do 2 things a kick the mexican truckers " who are working for 5cents a mile less i miight add"back to there own country unlees they pass proper class 1 liecence up here those boys dont get in unless they are properly liecence dot will run them out ...by by... and 2 yeah have a strike but not for 1 day make it stand 3 strike that will cripple the industy time to say hey enough is enough... My buddys company gave all trucker raises but the guys going cross border got nothing....

The cost are getting stupid i am geting hit with fuel surcharges on new home construction like crazy.... 1.25 / liter for diesel know and 1.149 for gas....

Not That they won't, but I believe it is against federal law for truckers to strike.

here is a catch 22. If my memory serves me right, good old Reagon signed a bill that prevents truckers from striking during a time of war.

Technically, we are not at war since war has never deen declared. Unfortunatly, since there is a republican in office, he may call foul and claim it is illegal.

Seriously, is the USA at war or not?

Tom

Latest posts