Handgun questions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brock,

Thanks for the input. I prefer to stay with a revolver simply because of simplicity. If in a situation where a weapon is needed, making sure the safety is off is something we do not want to worry about. Also, a revolver is easier to maintain.

Tom

Tom, the Glock doesn't have a manually operated safety. But it is bigger and heavier than the 642 by a fair margin, and does require more thought ("is there a round in the chamber?") when deploying.

Went to another store. They did not have the gun I wanted in stock. Going with the laser grip.

They had an indoor range. Since the did not have the gun I wanted in stock, as a "peace offering" they allowed me to use their range, a rental gun, hearing protection, and glasses for nothing. I just had to buy the ammo.

Shot about 26 rounds out of it. Nice little kick, but tolerable.

Best off, the gun is $30.00 less than the lowest price so far.

That pretty much solidified it for me. They are getting my business. Very helpful.

Tom

Rich Stern said.

Does it actually say "made in IL"? It may be the importer's home city/state. All modern, imported guns have such a stamp. They usually have another stamp showing where they are made.

I know the XD's were originally produced in Croatia. I don't think that's changed, but I could be wrong.

You were right.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Tom;

Sorry I didn't answer your post, I haven't been on the site in a few days.

Rich Stern is dead on, great, truthful answers. I agree with Rich 100%, and IMO you are making the right choice for you. Well informed, smart. And yes, CT Laser grips from S&W are typically less expensive when you buy them with the gun. If you practice with & without the laser, you'll become very comfortable. Remember to keep a check on the battery (inside the grip).

I am very happy that you found some of my information useful, and that we can agree.

I've had the same gun shop experiences, and I'm very well versed and knowledgeable regarding ballistics and firearms. That's where the maturity comes in, the guy with the "my gun is bigger than yours" subscribes to the Peter Principle. You may read about him in the news someday. You did the right thing by walking away and finding a responsible shop.

And kudos to you for eye and ear protection.:cool:

Please keep in mind for the future, with your S&W, use only factory loaded ammo, unless you personally become very knowledgeable on reloading ballistics. An exception, with your detailed knowledge and understanding, may be your "friendly" gun shop owner if they sell reloads.

Good Luck!

Not to worry, JD, they make good quality firearms in Croatia.

Tom, I didn't quite understand from your story: What gun did you shoot, and was it at the mom and pop store, or another store?

Tom, I don't know if you purchased yet or not, but are you buying new or used? I don't know about where you are but every gun shop here has many many used guns for sale. You could get what you want whatever it is here used. You can save a few bucks to put towards the extras you want. I've been shooting almost 40 years and purchased many used guns and I got quite a few great deals. As a matter of fact, just this afternoon I bought a very slightly used high grade leather holster for my compact .45ACP for $20 bucks. I plan on carrying it more often now that I have a good holster. Good luck whatever you buy, and most importantly, shoot, shoot and shoot some more. Be confident if you have to pull your weapon. You want to be able to draw without worrying about it.

Gary D.

Tom, I didn't quite understand from your story: What gun did you shoot, and was it at the mom and pop store, or another store?

This was another store. All the "Mom and Pop" stores were the local hangouts. This place is more like a little Cabela's. Hunting, fishing, camping, etc. Nice people too.

The gun I shot was the exact model I am interested in, along with the laser grip that I am 90% sure I am going to get. Contacting a lawyer about the laser grip before our final decision. In our society where the criminal has rights and the law abiding guy has none, I want to make sure having a laser grip does not open a route for some snake lawyer to put the blame on us. The whole "With a laser sight you could have shot him in the leg, but instead shot him in the heart and killed him". Never mind the fact that this guy had a gun pointed at me and was ready to pull the trigger. Know what I mean?

They are $30.00 cheaper than the other store I went to also. It would have cost us darn near $25.00 to shoot that gun. In total, by going there we, in essence, will save $55.00.

Tom, I don't know if you purchased yet or not, but are you buying new or used? I don't know about where you are but every gun shop here has many many used guns for sale.

No, I haven't purchased anything yet. I did look at some of the used guns, but the price is not that much cheaper than new. Plus, I would have to settle for something that is not exactly what I want. That doesn't mean I would not consider a used gun. This one is primarily for Theresa. Not saying we plan to carry all the time, but this one is geared more towards her. Simplicity, size, weight, quality, etc. I want to make this as convenient as I can for her.

Tom

Latest posts