Handgun questions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Schindler

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
Reaction score
I am seriously considering getting a CCW permit.

My town has taken a turn for the worst. Crime is up. The housing bubble burst is hitting hard. Local gangs have grown and they are getting more aggressive.

My brother-in-law was approached by two scumbags wanting his wallet. He had a can of gas and threatened to pour it on them and set them on fire. They ran! (He was having a bad day. Woke up late and was late to work. He then got a flat tire and a short time later, ran out of gas, this just added to a bad day)

This is just for ideas. Anyone reccommend a fair priced pistol that is small and lightweight.

I would be in the market for 2 of them. One for me and one for my wife. it is getting dark early and I do not want my wife to get into a situation.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

I saw this on "Country Fried Home Videos"; it's a Punt Gun. Don't think anyone will bother you with one of these.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/n7FeeamC4qk&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/n7FeeamC4qk&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Thankfully I haven't had to "use" my Springfield Armory XD, but all the times I've been to the range with it, it hasn't done me wrong. I am by no means a pro, or can I say I have a lot of experience with different models.

When we got ours it was more for home protection than carry, so we got a 5" model.

Caymen,

I agree 100% with you, the crime is not bad here but these scumbags are becoming brave, and my wife works until 6PM and sometimes until 7 pm by herself. See sells new homes and see is alone very often in brand new communities, where they only have her display home.

I have talked with her about getting a gun, she is fine with me getting a gun, as long as my 5 year old never sees it. But she is leaning more towards a "stun" style gun.

Chad

S&W 642 Airweight. Easier to master than a semi-auto, fits in a front pocket, small purse, small fanny pack. About $350 at a gun show. Well worth the extra $100 over lesser quality firearms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the links, so far.

That is the size of weapons I would go with. Nice and small. Fairly priced too.

I work afternoons, from 3:30 to 11:30. Sometimes I will stay over to 3:30 AM. With that being said, when I leave for work, my wife also leaves the house to take care of business to run the household. Sure, the area we live in is not as bad as the neighborhood I grew up in, but the scumbags do travel from one side of town to another.

With winter on its way, it is getting dark as early as 5PM, so she can find herself out at night without out be out late.

Tom

Tom, this is what I carry in my truck. Mine doesn't have a "pull tab" on the hammer. It is what a lot of SC state troopers carry on their ankle. I paid $325

[Broken External Image]:

In most states, if you qualify on a revolver for CCW, that's all you can use. If you qualify on an Autoloader, you can use autoloaders or revolvers.

Personally, being a bigger guy, I prefer larger frame autoloaders. Glock 22, Sig 226, Springfield XD40, Kimber, Llama, etc. either in .40S&W, .45GAP or .45ACP.

If you're of smaller statue, Springfield XD9 or even something Surplus like a CZ-82 or PA-63 Makrov are good.

9mm is OK, it's not as good of a defensive round. Same with 9x18 Makrov. Devensive rounds are commercially available. Most CCW classes may warn about using your own reloads with personal defence rounds. There have been recent cases where estates of bad guys sues the good guys and the estate lawyers make a big deal out of the reloads trying to make you look like you wanted to shoot someone and the bad guy was just an innocent victim.

Personally, I would not go smaller than 9mm, even for your wife. .380 or .32ACP have to have good shot placement. Bigger rounds like .357 and .44 you take a chance at over-penetration and well.... that's really bad.

Caymen,

It might be cheaper (depending upon the price of gas in your area) to just buy and carry a can of gas with you...since that worked for your brother. :lol:

Here in Texas, you have to attend the training classes and use the type of weapon you will be licensed to carry. If you qualify with an automatic, you can only carry an automatic, however if you qualify with a revolver, you can carry either a revolver or an automatic.

I think automatics are a better choice for personal safety and concealment purposes. The smaller calibers are easily concealed and their 8-10 shot magazine provides a lot of firepower. That's important when you are in a highly stressful situation and you may not hit your target with the first few shots...10 shots gives you a lot more opportunities and even if you miss with all 10, the crook is probably running from the hail of bullets.

Good automatics are made by a lot of companies like Sig-Sauer, Colt, Walther, Glock, etc. I even have a small 22 automatic that you can hide in the palm of your hand. It does not have the hitting power of a 45 but my wife and my daughters have no fear or problem using it and it puts out enough lead that accuracy is not that important.

...Rich

Have you thought about a taser?

Pulling a gun is one thing but would your wife want to shoot someone? At least with the taser you won't have to give it a second though about using it. Also, if it is taken and used on either you or your wife at least you will not be permanently injured.

I'm not against guns or people owning them but this might be a better option. Just curious, if the town is this bad have you thought about moving??

George

From my unstanding, in Ohio when you get your CCW permit, you can carry any legal handgun you want and as many of those hand guns as you choose at any time. I have not gotten any paperwork on the permit, just looking at guns to decide if I really want one.

I grew up around guns and I respect them for what they are and do not see them as a toy. For me, they are a serious purchase that is not to be taken lightly. They are a responsibility that is very serious.

Tom

The gas can trick worked for Billy Jack--so of course it'll work in reality.

Why go for a guaranteed non-lethal weapon? Stun Guns require actual physical contact with the aggressor, making it very dangerous. and useless against multiple adversaries. Not to mention that stun weapons have a very questionable effectiveness.

Tasers cost an arm and a leg to get new cartridges for, and they have what, a 15 foot range at most? Still useless against multiple opponents, and the projectiles can miss.

If you train with a firearm, you can shoot someone non-lethally, and still have the advantages of a firearm (over a taser), such as the ability to have lethal force if the need arises.

If lethality is a concern, get a 9mm handgun. Good luck killing someone with that...but it might scare them off.

Utah has the same - you do not have to license to carry a specific model/style.

How are you planning on carrying? Are you looking for a pocket gun, a shoulder holster, side arm? Depending on how you feel comfortable makes it easier to suggest something.

I personally carry one of two sidearms - Springfield XD or my Kimber CDP - both are .45's. I don't carry it that much anymore, but I also use to carry my .41 Deringer in my front pocket.

I think for CCW you want something small, that limits your choices as far as caliber. For a man I would go with 45 ACP if you can get it in a smaller handgun. Some have said to get a revolver opposed to an automatic, less chance of problems. 38 special is always a choice, or get 357 magnum. Then you could use either 357 mag or 38 special.

Don't forget about home!! Shotgun is best there.

WARNING about Kel-Tec (one of the links). Didn't they years ago get into trouble for something - I can't remember what it was that got them into hot water. If it was them.

Caymen,

I hope you get a gun that suits your needs. Did you see Boston Legal last night? No one else has mentioned it, specifically, but as the discussion turns to "non-lethal" protection (stun guns, etc), I think of last nights episode and the general rule that I understand police have. That rule being that if the need arises to discharge your gun, you do so with deadly force, unloading the entire magazine on them. Seems to me that approach and mentality has a lot of merit to it, and if adopted by civs would hopefully mean that people only discharge in true, dire, life threatening scenarios.

Good luck.

TJR

I want a smaller gun. Of course, I would have to feel it in my hand before I buy.

I am not scared of my town. Growing up in the hood, I was able to deal with the "brothers". Just if I get into a "situation" I will be the guy walking away, if not, I will go down putting some lead into some scumbag.

Some of the crime is what the gangs call "hood tax". You give them your wallet and if they decide to let you live, so be it. There has been two murders in the past few months.

I highly doubt I would ever need it, but better safe than sorry.

Tom

if the need arises to discharge your gun, you do so with deadly force

Exactly, you do not shoot to wound, mame or disable. You shoot to eliminate the threat. Any less and you have opened a floodgate for litigation and possible criminal charges. If you're not justified in killing the offender, your're not justified in shooting at them.

As a police officer, I encourage everyone that can get a CCW permit to get one, even if they don't intend to actually carry ... (familiarity with a firearm is always good, even if it's to just understand the mechanics of a firearm, or even to protect your home/family) ... as the adage goes, better to have it & not need it than to need it & not have it.

Besides my duty weapon, I have 2 other handguns for off-duty ... for concealment, I have a Berretta model 84 (13 round .380 cal.) ... if I go somewhere where i'm likely to need something more, I have an H&K USP.40 cal ...

In home, I keep other things, but no chance concealing them in public ;)

Latest posts