Handgun questions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Taurus 9mm semi-auto. A little smaller and lighter than the average 9mm. I have a paddle-type hip holster that works well under a sweater or Hawaiian shirt, an ankle holster that I use most, and a pocket holster (it's like a sleeve and sort of conceals the outline of the gun if it's in my pocket).

I have a Ruger P95 that I always carry on my person, it is only a 9mm, so it is more fro deteriant than anything, In the Sport Trac and the Mazda 3 I have a .45 1911. In the house I have a 12ga 7mm .30-06 .30-30 and 9mm rifles.

Even with all of that, people have still broken into my home.

If you do carry, use it not to mame or injure, but to ensure the other party can't talk, sue or get back at you. Any one asking for your hard earned maoney or any scumbag who thinks you owe them some tax because you work and earn some money don't deserve to be alive. Just my $0.02 on the topic.

at any case welcome to the CCW. I'm in the process since my rear end accident (long story search the forms).

Regarding caliber: No common handgun caliber is a guaranteed fight stopper, whether it's a 22LR, a 45ACP, or a 44 Magnum. Far more important than caliber selection is a) that you carry it, and b) that you know how to use it. Pick a gun accordingly.

It's an inside joke among gun writers that while they all like to recommend hi capacity, large caliber semi-autos, they themselves are usually carrying j-frame sized 5 shot revolvers, usually 38 special, because like most people, they have other priorities besides planning their day around how to conceal a Colt 1911 or a Glock 23. We all have that problem. Can't tell you how many people I've met who started with larger guns and kept downsizing until they got to something that weighed less than 1 pound and fit in a front pants pocket.

Regarding use of deadly force: You shoot until the threat is stopped. You are not trying to kill the assailant. You are trying to stop the attack. Whether the assailant lives or dies is not something you can easily control when firing in self-defense with a handgun. You aim for the middle, and you keep shooting until the thread has ended or you are out of ammo.

Non-lethal weapons, in my opinion, are best left to experts who are trained in their use and who have backup on the way. A taser incapacitates someone for seconds. If the assailant manages to knock the probes out, or isn't incapacitated, you may then be dealing with someone who you really pissed off, and you don't have a firearm when you need it.

My 2 cents.

Caymen, which gun you carry is nearly as personal a choice as what shoes feel comfortable on your feet. You just won't know until you've shot it and carried it. Read as much as you can, see if you can find a gunshop/range that rents guns. Take Teresa along as well. You have to practice, and practicing with different guns will help you form an opinion. It's a fun date night, too. Lots of couples go to our local gunshop for recreational range shooting.

Very good post Rich I think you really summarized the whole thing best.

Date night at the range made me chuckle at first and then I thought about how many times my wife and I had gone target shooting in a gravel pit when we were dating, so probably if there was a range around here we would have gone.

Caymen if you really intend to carry the firearm concealed very often make sure not only that you like the feel of the gun in your hand but that you can find a comfortable way to carry it (ankle hoster, inside the pants holster, a jacket with a built in holster, a fanny pack etc), you are right that it is serious purchase and you want to make sure that you get one that will serve your purpose well. Obviously the smaller the gun the easier it is to concel and carry but too small and it will feel awkward in your hand and of course you give up firepower. You can find some really nice compact 9mm semi-autos and while it obviously doesn't pack the punch of a 45 it will get the job done.

As others have said you shoot until the threat is gone and if you are doing it right by the time you KNOW that there is no longer a threat you probably have emptied your clip.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing to consider is the safety, by that, I mean the weapon having a safety or not. If it is going to be floating around a purse, then I would think a safety would be important for obvious reasons...

I carry the Sig and it has no safety. The first trigger pull is 12 pounds, after that, it is just under 3 pounds. Plus, the way I carry it, you can not accidental get to the trigger as the weapon must be elevated slightly before you can get to the trigger area.

No matter the choice, you need to PRACTICE a freaking ton... Not solely to become a decent shot, but so that the actions required to draw and actually operate the weapon become second nature.

My point, if you wife handles the gun only every now and then, when it comes to needing, she will pull the trigger four hundred times and nothing will happen either because the safety was on or there was no round in the chamber.

When you NOT in a situation it is easy to think, when the pressure is on, it is easy to not think...

A local shooting range may have some different choices that you can rent or try out. They will probably charge you or make you buy their ammo for it at inflated prices, but it's well worth it. You don't want to go spend $200-700 or more on something that's not what you feel comfortable with.

There are handguns that feel great until you fire them. My father-in-law has a nice .380 that my wife loved... until she shot it. The slide has a long stoke for a .380 and there is not a beavertail so it caught the webbing on her thumb and drew blood. Two shots and she was done with it.

What feels good to you may not for your wife. I have a Hi-Point .40S&W that I personally love to shoot (it's a BUFF so not something for CCW) but since it's heavy my wife doesn't like it. My CZ-82 however is a different story. Both of us love that gun and when we get our CCW's, that will probably be her carry piece of the ones I have now.

My home defence gun is going to be my Hi-Point. My shotgun is a bird gun with a long barrel so it's unwieldy inside. My rifles.... uh no:

M1 Garand (30-06)

M44 (7.62x54r)

M91/30 (7.62x54r)

M59/66 (7.62x39)

AK-47 (7.62x39)

K31 (7.5x55)

Mauser (8mm)

Just remember... all firearms have the ability to be lethal. A BB gun can kill. Some are better than others. I've seen reports of .22's killing squirel hunters more often than 30-30's.

Most important thing is know the basics:

1) Know your firearm and it's proper operation

2) Know your target and what is beyond

3) Practice. Often.

Rich said it well. You don't need a big ass heavy caliber gun to stop someone. The same people that drive big trucks to make up for small genitalia buy big guns. A 9mm may make a smaller hole but will still kill a person. Also, remember most shooting incidents occur with 10 feet. That's why peace officers spend a lot of time on the range shooting at close (7 yards and under) targets. At close range just about any caliber is going to be deadly.

It's more important that you learn how to use the gun. It's like using a fire extinguisher. Sounds easy but at the time you'll actually be using it, you will be very frantic and tense. If your buying a weapon for security be ready to use it under extreme conditions.

I carry a Fobus holstered Glock. It has no external safety. I am not comfortable carrying with one in the chamber but it is a confidence in myself issue. The gun simply can not fire unless the trigger is pulled therefor no external safety needed.

I carry a 9mm Smith & Wesson Model 908s. Its small and compact enough for both you and your wife. I also carry a Smith & Wesson 38 cal revolver on my ankle. My advice to you is go to a local gun shop ask questions and pick up a few pistols and get a feel for whats comfortable to you and your wife. If you have any other questions shoot me an email. C-ya!

Hi Caymen,

I've been a cop 25+ years, I am also a Federal Firearms Licensed (FFL) gun dealer and a police and NRA civilian firearms instructor. All can be verified online.

I'm telling you what I tell rookie cops and civilians getting a CCW. First carry gun, go revolver. Believe me, as big and strong and brave and tough as many of my students are...when it is an "OH S**T!" situation your brain goes into overload and unless you practice and qualify regularly under induced stress combat scenarios, it will take all you've got to even remember you have a gun. Trust me, please.

Get a revolver. Simple, Works. Not complicated. No buttons or slides or safeties to mess with. Point and pull. If round one is a dud, pull again. Not affected by pocket/clothing lint, lack of attention, etc. to the same degree as a semi.

Later, go for a semi if you like. My first off duty gun was a Colt Cobra alloy revolver. Now I carry it and/or an HK P2000sk off duty...but I've been on the job a quarter century.

Also, if you are with a loved one or adult friend and you are incapacitated in a life/death situation, you can handoff the gun and anyone can fire it.

If you drop someone while CCW and you're carrying some tricked out semi with hot ammo, even in a 100% righteous self defense shooting it will come up that your gear reflected your inclination to get into a firefight, whereas a little .38 special snubbie revolver looks pretty damn innocent when presented to the jury in a wrongful death civil suit. Oh yea, my advice is ALSO to tell your insurance agent to add an umbrella policy to your homeowner's, renter's and/or auto policy. It is cheap, and I guarantee somebody will sue you if you drop someone, however justified.

My recommendation for a first gun is one of the lightweight Smith and Wesson revolvers that have a shrouded hammer or are hammerless. The lighter the gun, the more exotic the metalurgy, the more its gonna' cost. Use factory ammo, don't go +P, +P+, ++PP++, Ludicrous Load, etc. Any cop will tell you it's shot placement first, ballistics second.

Email me if you want to discuss. Holsters is a whole 'nuther discussion. I've got literally every style holster known to man. All have pros and cons, based on your needs, body shape, climate, etc.

Good luck with your lessons and purchase. Think hard about this, and if you can REALLY take a life. We all say we could drop someone who threatened us or our loved ones, but alot of times people freeze and the bad guy gets them. Train and practice practice practice.

Take care.

Last edited by a moderator:
Use factory ammo, don't go +P, +P+, ++PP++, Ludicrous Load, etc. Any cop will tell you it's shot placement first, ballistics second.

Would you recommend using a heavier projectile with slower velocities for CCW?

Thank You Eltee, Very informative. I really did not want a revolver because of the increased size. But you now have me thinking about it.

This is not something I want to carry with me everywhere. I know it sounds crazy, but I really do not want to pack heat every time I go somewhere. I mainly want it as a precaution when traveling and for my wife when it gets dark.

The idea of a revolver has got my intrigued.

Tom

Caymen, Eltee brings up a very good point. This goes back to what I was saying as far as all the training or hands on experience you will need simply because when the Oh Sh** factor does kick in, if it is either not EXTREMELY simple and or you do not do the action as second nature, you will more than likely never get a single round off.

This is the sole reason that we qualify 8 times a year at my office. You can go 20 years and never need your weapon, but when you do, you better be able to use it...

LaRue,

I am really liking that little revolver you have. I like the price too.

I just can not justify spending $700.00, or more, on a handgun. That is alot of green.

Tom

Eltee, I agree with you 100% about revolvers. I've had a peace officer license for around 25 years. The 357 revolver was my first and only gun for almost 20 years. But cops quit carrying revolvers. It got to the point that when I would go to the range to qualify, I was completely out of place with my revolver. The timed exercises were for semi's with large clips not revolvers and speed loaders. I was forced to switch, but that 357 was the most comfortable gun I ever had.

Latest posts