Craftsman Tools Lifetime Guarantee

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, there seems to be a bit of miscommunication on my part with what I presented. I did not walk in to sears thinking that I had a right though I have used that word above. I did not walk in and callously demand new tools. I asked if I could exchange them due to the rust. I did not get all huffy and puffy and pissy. There were a bunch (more than five) clerks in that area, most said it was not a problem, one said they needed to confirm it was ok. The manager came, I presented what I had and what I thought was ok by the policy. I did not raise my voice, get excited or threaten to sue. I did say they were going to lose a customer and that is often a last resort statement as it was in this case. Maybe not the best card to play, but the manager was less than pleasant from the onset. The tools (let me edit at this point, they were only sockets nothing else) were rusted due to an error on my part. This does not mean I left them in the rain, in the middle of the yard, while I was in the house with a beer and the football game. You can get the same effect working on a car in the rain which I have done many times. Yes the tools still work and yes I will continue to use them. I presented this scenario for feedback which, again I have gotten. None of which agreed with me, which is fine and gives me a different perspective than what I had. Hence why I posted.

Scott, thanks, as always your input is invaluable and your closed-mindedness towards the scenario is jaw dropping.

Last edited by a moderator:
The way the policy is worded, Ed is completely in the right for expecting a replacement. The policy clearly refers to his satisfaction (not Sears interpretation of his satisfaction).

If Sears wants the marketing benefit of such a policy, they have to pay the piper when the piper comes calling. If they don't want the expense of living up to their word when given to a customer, they need to change the policy.

I have to agree with Spiff here. That's the reason Craftsman tools cost 2-5 times as much as other tools. If there's ever a problem, you're supposed to be able to bring it in, no questions asked. I personally use Matco tools because where I worked, that's all they used and I got a discount when buying through them. Same policy as Craftsman, but the Matco truck drives up to the business twice a week, so if something happens, I bring in my tool and the guy gives me another off the truck. If only they'd come to my house, then I'd be set, lol.

Ed,

Like Rich Stern said, "If YOU are not completely satisfied" is what counts. I suspect that some Sears employees are applying their own interpretation. You may need to go to another Sears store.

...Rich

Sorry Spiff, Just got to this thread. I agrre with you. You should be able to replace them if the tool being "rusted" doesn't meet to your satisfaction. If they didn't want to do that type of replacement, it should be in the WARRENTY!!! Also, rust can WEAKEN the strength of the metal used to make the tool and it could fail and injure you. (I know, I know, petty. But it could happen);)

My hubby does this all the time. They don't take them when they are rusted. Just clean off the rust. My hubby found a Craftsman tool rusted and in the ground at the dump one day. He cleaned the rust out of the tool and took it back without any questions.

Someone was right earlier when they said that the rust proved misuse. It's like if you left your power tools outside in the rain and they magically didn't work anymore. Technically, it would still be within the 30 days and it broke so you could return them right? Wrong. Take care of your tools, overuse them and then you can get free ones for the rest of your life.

As somone who works for a tool supplier I did hear that Sears changed their policy because of an inside tool theft ring that was going on inside the company. I guess they were stealing the broken tools and giving them to freinds and family to bring back again for new tools. (not sure if this is true.... just word of mouth):D

Thats why I do 1 of 2 things.

Just break the dam thing, OR bring it to Home depot where the exchange any sears tool for there husky line.. ( a least Here they do)

Todd Z

I believe I would have taken a few minutes with a brillo pad to clean off the rust rather than drive all the way to Sears.

Jeff C - Craftsman tools are generally less expensive than other "professional" tools, especially those delivered on a truck.. For example, basic 3/8 ratchets - Craftsman $ 16, Matco $ 68 and Snap On from $ 38 to $ 100. Yes, I know Matco and Snap On are better tools, but I would love to find a brand that is as good as Craftsman and costs less. Seriously, I am not trying to be a smart ass, I would buy them instead.

ok ok ok, i know this is gonna sound kinda dumb but a lot of the decision on wether or not to accept the return comes form the manager in charge. whithin 30 days full refund on anything at all withoutr question. as for the craftsman tools with a lifetime replacment policy then the policy is if the tool does not do what it is intended to do then it is broken. so whn you go to the counter to replcace the parts dont say i want to replace this becasue it is rusty. say i want to replace thsi screwdrive becase i wont fit into screw heads becasue the end is rusty. somthing like that. sears became a real hard ass when it came to stuff like this ever since them merged with kmart. real cheap ass bastards. the reason i know all this is becasue i work for a sears auto center in NH.

Justin

I liv CT and have replaced many rusted Craftsman hand tools with no problem. It states customer satisfaction guarantee. I simply stae, if asked, that I am not satified with the finish. Enough said, replaced for free.

The issue is not whether the tools are still functional, or who was at fault. The issue is, does the Sears guarantee, as worded, entitle Ed to a new tool?

Without a doubt, the answer is yes. The policy language is clear. YOUR satisfaction. If Ed decided he didn't like the shape of the tool handle, or the feel of the tool, even if nothing else was wrong with it, he'd still be entitled to a new tool. That's because Sears made a representation about the product which becomes a binding contract when you buy the product.

If a dispute over this matter ever made it to a small claims court, all you would have to do is tell the judge that you aren't satisfied with the product, show him a copy of Sears policy, and make a reasonably convincing case that you were the original purchaser. The only leg Sears would have to stand on would be if they could show that you were not the original purchaser of the tool and, therefore, they never made a contract with you.

Now, of course, few people would drag Sears to court over a $50 tool. And that's what Sears is banking on. They hope they can guilt you out of fulfilling their commitment by saying you are being unreasonable or the policy is no longer in effect. Sorry. One party cannot unilaterally change the terms of a contract.

Is it unreasonable to expect the other party to honor a contract they enterered into with you?

I think not.

Ed, take your tools back to Sears as many times as you like. They wanted you to buy them and told you they would replace them when you weren't satisfied. You are in the right.

I used to work for Proto Professional Tools in Quality Control. I have some of these tools that are over 30 years old and no rust. I bought a set of Craftsman Deepwell metrics and they started to rust in my garage (very damp in the winter) in a year. Looking at the level of plating done that not all Craftsman Tools are manufactured the same; some of the more expensive sets are definately better. I would expect that satisfaction would mean that it would not rust in a year. They need a good nickel plating before the chrome.

A side note, even though I worked for Proto, Snap-on was considered the target competition, they are the best as far as finish is concerned.

And this is right from the Sears website, their explanation of a warranty:

Warranty

A Warranty is a contract between the purchaser of a product and the company that produced the product that details the components, duration, and circumstances by which a defect in the product will be remedied.

LOL!!

Where's the defect?

On Judge Judy next month:

"Your Honor, I am suing Sears for new tools because I'm not satisfied. There's nothing mechanically defective with these tools, but my dog urinated on my Craftsman sockets. I didn't immediately clean them and now due to the alkalinity and PH contained in said urine, the tools have started to rust. I want to infer, "without a doubt", that Sears is responsible for creating Pi$$ Poor sockets cause they said they warranty forever and ever regardless how I misuse them. I rest my case"

Could the defect be a bad plating job causing rust to develop?

I don't think Ed said that he left the tools in a bucket of salt water or he let his dog urinate on the tools.

Tom

Personally, I think Ed is asking for replacement tools when they should not be replaced, but many factors can come into play here.

He is not satisfied with the tools because they rusted.

There may be a defect. The defect could be a bad plating job. Just because the defect isn't a broken tool, it is a defect none the less.

Another main point is this. Customer satisfaction. We complain and moan when someone buys a used trac with 100,000 miles and has problems. We complain to Ford about it. The warranty period is over. You buy something with an assumed risk. A vehicle out of warranty is that. It is out of warranty. Craftsmen tools cover abuse. No hand tool, unless it those POS tools made in china, should break under normal use. We put breaker bars on our sockets, put a 4' extension bar on it and have all our friends stand on it to break a bolt or nut loose. If that isn't abuse, I dont know what abuse is.

How would letting your dog urinate on the tool or getting some salt water and placing it in the water abuse when overloading the tool isn't?

Is it up to the manager to decide what is covered and what isn't? We scream when we take our Trac into the dealer with 20" wheels and complain about a vibration at 100 MPH. The service manager says dont drive that fast (the legal speed limit might be 65 MPH, why are you driving 100?) and the dealer can not guarentee the wheels aren't the problem.

We can not expect the shop to assume that the wheels are perfect. The mechanic has a troubleshooting guide to follow. With any problem you have, you check the easy things first. Vibration...wheels need balanced. Once the wheels are proven it is not the problem, then you proceed with the next step. You don't replace the most expensive part hoping it is the problem. Why should the dealer balance aftermarket wheels? Without knowing for a fact the wheels are balanced, the dealer has no reason to proceed.

The same goes with the tools. They are developing rust. Is the rust within specs? If so, show me a chart that says the rust is acceptable.

It doesn't matter if we spend $30,000 on a car or 30 cents on a tool. If it is guarenteed for a certain period, it should be covered. Once the warranty is over, you are on your own.

The tools are covered under warranty forever. Rust or not, the manager should not be the one to decide what is covered and what isn't when the warranty says "complete satisfaction".

Tom