Craftsman Tools Lifetime Guarantee

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fudged Undies

Reaction score
So I went to sears Friday night to swap out some of my tools. They got wet and rusty/rusted and since they are craftsman and have lifetime guarantee I figured they would exchange them, no questions asked. To my surprise, the "manager" (read: jerk on duty), said they would not exchange them due to rusting. I asked if this was a new policy since they have a lifetime guarantee I didn't see why it mattered that they weren't brokent but were rusted. He said they changed policy about a year ago and would no longer exchange if they weren't broken. I was irritated at this point and suggested sears maybe losing a customer due to this play on words. He said he would do me the "favor" of swapping them since I wasn't familiar with the "new policy." I inquired a bit more about the "new policy" and he wasn't too happy about it and reminded me that he was doing me a "favor." Needless to say, I picked up my tools and left.

So now my question is, is anyone familiar with this policy. I'm currently looking for it online but I always kinda figured Lifetime gurantee should include tools not rusting. I'm under the impression that with so many other companies offering lifetime these days they'd be a bit more willing to accomodate but that wasn't the case. Maybe it was that stores policy or just that the dept. manager was a putz, as his attitude was less than pleasant.

We've had a discussion in the past about tools and for the most part the craftsman were favorites. I've been using them for 20 years but I'm not real happy right now with this bs. Anyone have any input, experience or suggestions?

If they got wet and rusted I do not think that is warrentied. That's misuse and not a fault with the tool itself. i would think the tools are warrentied against defects and unusual things beyond your control. If your tools got wet and rusted it's your fault for not drying them off. Sorry to be devils advocate.

i have to agree with joseymack,

i have returned many tool, mostly wrenches, when they twisted or broke, and

sockets that have stripped

but rust.

i wouldnt think so either.

but i keep better care of my tools.

Well this is what I have managed to pull up on the sears site.

Hand tools so tough, they're guaranteed forever.*

Did you know that the first Craftsman hand tool we sold back in 1927 is still under warranty today? So are all the hand tools we've sold since. That's what is known as having confidence in our quality. As the Craftsman Unlimited Hand Tool Warranty clearly states... If any Craftsman guaranteed forever hand tool fails to provide complete satisfaction, return it for free repair or replacement. Period.

Seems to me I fall into the bold. Take this into consideration, when you break a screwdriver or needlenose pliers, 99% of the time using them improperly, it's your (my) fault but they honor the guarantee. Interesting hair splitting.

Spaceman, you failed to mention if the rust made the tools useless (not fullfilling of their intented purpose).

If one breaks a tool, regardless how, the Craftsman warranty will replace it.

But if a tool is simply rusty, but works properly (assuming the rusted area isn't causing problems), then should Craftsman be obligated to replace it? If the answer is "YES", well then what you are saying is that blemishes (like rust) alone are valid reasons for replacing a tool. So if you spill paint on the handle of a hammer, get it replaced; get a knick in your rubber mallet, replace it.

What would keep people from returning tools just because they "no longer look like they are fresh from the store?"

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed TJR, and yes they do still work. I began writing that out but must have deleted it as some point. I don't disagree with your comments, the tools still work just fine and to some degree I did/do want some shiny new tools. I won't hide that, I think most of us have some Tim "the tool man" taylor in us. However, I come back to the guarantee and the part I bolded. If you abuse a tool and they exchange it, a tool rusting should be no different.

They got rusty and yeah, it's my fault. It was unintentional but nonetheless. A flathead screwdriver isn't meant to be used as a chisel or pry bar but is used as such. I also am not asking for replacement of all my tools just some of the 1/4" sockets that suffered.

I'm not expecting many if any to agree, but my logic is correct and moreover going by there policy listed above it's also accurate.

<a href="http://www.sears.com/sr/craftsman/whyCraftsman/cr_wc_qualityproducts.jsp"target=top>Sears linkey</a>

I worked in the tool section at a Sears in college and my manager had the same policy. Because we were in So Cal we had some regulars who would leave tools on their boats in the harbor and then want all of them replaced because they had rusted each year. The manager's logic was the same in that they were rusted not broken. Though I'm pretty sure that it wasn't an official policy written down anywhere.

Sears could easily argue that "Complete Satisfaction" in the operation of a tool is what is being provided. A tool is meant to serve a function, that is why it is a called a tool. A tool can perform that function in a completely satisfactory manner and be blemished in some way.

I don't think Sears is counting on part of the satisfaction you get from a tool is "how it looks"; but instead simply how it performs and functions.

What's would be next? Don't like the way your tool tastes? Smells?

Sounds like you have tool envy.

TJR

Okay, Spaceman, look at it this way, with this scenario:

Let's say you are a small business owner providing a good or service, and you have a sign on the wall that says:

"100% Satisfaction Guarantee."

Under the sign in smaller print it says:

"If you are not 100% satisfied please let us know and we will address your concern or provide you 100% of your money back!"

Okay, so, a guy buys a "widget" from you, uses it, then comes back later and says: "Hey, you know that widget, I wasn't 100% satisfied, I want my money back!"

You ask: "What was wrong with the widget sir, didn't it do what it was supposed to?"

He responds: "Sure, it did, I just am not 100% satisified! More like 95%. Not sure why I am unsatisfied by 5%, I just am!"

You then prod and try to get more information, but they guy just keeps coming back that he just didnt feel 100% satisfied:

Question: What Do You Do?

TJR

Ed,

I have gotten replacment Craftsman tools at Sears on numerous occassions, even tools that I abused and broke. I once added a 4 foot extension pipe to a 24" long, 1/2" drive breaker bar and stood on the bar to try to break loose a VW rear axel nut. It shattered the square drive and sounded like a shotgun blast. Exchanged it at Sears, no questions asked!

Honestly, I never though they would exchange tools just for rust, and I am suprised to hear that they ever allowed that. I guess if the tool is otherwise unusable it would be exchanged regardless of the rust.

...Rich

About a year ago my brother tried to replace a broken craftsman ratchet and some open end wrenchs that had spread open...he was told no can do..you missused these tools in an industrial enviorment..he doesnt use his tools at work..these were his home tools..even the manager backed up the salesman with the same BS...my brother is a big guy but very mild tempered, thought he was going to knock them both out..I talked him out of going to jail...they did not honor the warranty and niether one of us will buy craftsman again.:angry:

yeah i bought a Craftman tape measure 2 yrs ago and last month i was using it and i guess the spring in side broke .Anyways i took to sears and the service desk told me they cannot replace it. then i call anorther sears and they said sure it should be coverd so i went up there and they gave a new one;) so i 'd call another store

from now on why dont you just break your tools that are rusty then there wont be a problem.... just hit them with a hammer or misuse them purposely. Then they'll replace them.

Dallas

Star, thought about that.

Big D, thought about that too, but contrary to how what I presented above may sound, I'm not unreasonable. I think/thought I was within my "rights" under the lifetime guarantee they offer. Some here disagree and that was what I was looking for, what others thought. I seem to be in the minority, though by the letter of what I have found I think I am correct. I have no real desire to break them intentionally, but that does seem to be a reasonable solution since for the most part they don't seem to question abuse.

This is the reason we pay so darn much for things. People get so dang petty. You leave the wrench out, it rusts. Why should Sears replace it? I realize it says 100 pct satisfaction, but lets get real, it is still functional, they did their part. If I was in business like this, I'd give you your money back and say have a nice day. That way, you cant come back after leaving your new crap in the water to rust and cost me more money. I guess this is why lawyers get paid so much to write the small print, like "caution, contents hot" on a mcdonalds coffee cup....

I can't really add any more than what has been stated, just give another logical vote.

The tools aren't broken, they are abused.

The guarantee is for broken and/or defective tools .

Rust is not a defect, but a chemical reaction.

You can expect the tools to rust unless they are made out of titanium, which apparently they are not.

I always guaranteed complete satisfaction with my tool as well and now that I am married I have given the lifetime guarantee. It may take a little help from the blue pill but I will do all I can. :lol::D

JT#14

p.s. To date, no rust, you have to keep it in the right box. :p