Will Bargain Gas Hurt Your ST?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I travel through Utah I always use 85 octane. Never seen a problem in 5-6 trips across the state north/south and back.

Last edited by a moderator:
For all you Citgo haters, be aware that Valero gas is just Citgo renamed. It's still owned by Venusuala and their dictator Chavez.

I don't buy gas from Citgo or Valero for that reason.

...Rich

Valero is the largest independant and only has refineries and gas stations. they own no reserves or get into E&P, so they buy from all the major oil companies. although in general valero is the biggest refiner of low end tar sand crudes and condinsates (fancy words for cheaper oils) mostly from Canada (which is the country the US imports the most oil from - not middle east). That is why their costs are generally lower than others.

I buy what ever is cheep..... Only thing Is I notice a slight and I mean slight MPG gain with Exxon over the cheep stuff...

Todd Z

Up here in Canada it cost to much to run 93 octane that would cost a 3 to 5 cent a liter so we all run 87 octane. I think they should charge more for 87 octane and less for 93 to save the air and pollution

Correct me if i am wrong but dose that not mean the fuel will burn cleaner there for less pollution... The higher the octane the better it will burn... This is my thought or mabe i dont understand this whole octane thing... Please in lighten me if i am wrong...

Cheers

Keith

Anyone but CITGO..

As others has said, buying, or not buying, certain brands does not mean you are supporting, or not supporting, that brand of fuel.

We have a Marathon refinery near us. You can buy Speedway, Marathon, Sunoco, Citgo, or any other of the many nemes out there. In the end, you are buying Marathon gas.

Higher octane is HARDER to burn, but burns hotter.

Dingo, click the link below.

Tom

This is what you said?

Octane rating has no direct impact on the deflagration (burn) of the air/fuel mixture in the combustion chamber. Other properties of gasoline and engine design account for the manner at which deflagration takes place. In other words, the flame speed of a normally ignited mixture is not directly connected to octane rating. Deflagration is the type of combustion that constitutes the normal burn. Detonation is a different type of combustion and this is to be avoided in spark ignited gasoline engines. Octane rating is a measure of detonation resistance, not deflagration characteristics.

It might seem odd that fuels with higher octane ratings explode less easily, yet are popularly thought of as more powerful. The misunderstanding is caused by confusing the ability of the fuel to resist compression detonation as opposed to the ability of the fuel to burn (combustion).

Higher octane fuel does not burn hotter. It does not have more energy. It only allows you to have an engine running more advanced ignition or higher compression.

Tom

Around here the Citgo station is usually the most expensive anyway. There is a regional grocery store chain (Giant Eagle) who also owns a chain of convenience stores (Get Go). Use the shopper's card at the store and for every $50 you spend on food, pharmacy, gift cards, you get $0.10 off a gallon for up to 30 gallons. I bought so much food around Christmas that I had 90 cents off a gallon.

Rich..

you are corrct, sir..

I do Mobil, Sunoco or Hess... they use a large percentage of Canadian Oil.

It's a shame, because for years I was a fan of the CITGO fords of the Wood Brothers Racing.... Grrr

Fools. Last time I bought cheap gas at Walmart my back window quit working. How do you explain that? :blink: