What is the fastest you've ever driven a car in mph

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Um the fastest I ever have driven... Hmm... LOL Was in my friends 1993 Honda Accord that was all souped up. I got it up to 150mph, and I shouldn't say it... But was racing a Camaro at about 3am after a night at the bar on a highway here in MD. And yes.... I was drunk driving. LoL. Didn't get pulled over and didn't crash.

145 in my mom's camaro z28 that had a corvette lt1 engine in it .. it had a governor, so the speedo would go to 145 and then bounce back to 130 ... funniest part of the story is that the car was my moms! ha ha

Well mine doesn't compare to some of yours. I had a a 1973 Chevy Malibu Classic that my Mom got new when I graduated high school. It was white with a white and blue interior, plus I had a CB with a 102 inch steel whip antenna that was arched and clipped to the rain cutter. At the time it looked a lot like the Kentucky State Police cars, especially the unmarked ones. In 1976 when my new bride and I were coming back from Kentucky Lake, I saw a police car sitting on one of the roads that cut up through the hills. I looked down at my speed and I was doing a little over 85 mph. I didn't push on my brakes or slow down. I waited till about 5 miles down the road and very slowly lowered my speed to what was posted and didn't say a word of it to my bride. I guess he was either sleeping or thought I was an unmarked Ky State Police car, since he didn't follow me. Needless to say I kept the speed limit the rest of the way home. I heard over the CB many of the truckers also thought I was an unmarked Ky State Police car. Some of my Dad's friends who cops or ex cops, when you see a cop and you are speeding don't push on your brakes right then. You will have just admitted you were speeding.

I had a 68 camaro in the early 70's that I went only 105 . . .

I had my '01 track up to 95 . ..

I have had my '08 to about the same. Just no place that I personally feel safe to do any faster. . .

138 MPH ... in a 1976 Maverick no less... :blink:

I built the 302 myself to put in a mustang, using ford motorsport parts. Then the 250 straight 6 in the maverick (our every day driver) took a dump, and I figured what the hell.. Bought a 73 Grabber for $50.00 for parts to get brackets, braces, etc.. and did it in a weekend. 60 MPH before it redlined in 1st, over 100 mph before redline in second, and I have no idea the top end.. and it got a helluva scratch between shifts... It got really scarry at high speed, the darned thing was basically floating.. It was a GREAT sleeper though.. I LOVED sitting at a light and have a kid pull up in his dads I-Roc Z..

I was 20 years old, and it had 4 wheel DRUM brakes. (No power assist) I got WAY too many tickets, and my wife had our new baby boy, so it was time to grow up and sell it. The guy I sold it to wrapped it around a telephone pole about 6 weeks later. (Still miss the car though)

Dave

1975, Jacksonville, FL. Phillips Highway between Emerson and University Boulevard. Me - 1971 Boss 351 Mustang (Holly 750 double pumper, aluminum intake, 3" headers), him - 1970 Pontiac GTO 455 (unknown stats). Time - Approximately 2:00 AM. We lit them up at Emerson, my speedometer was pegged hard at 120 mph. He said his was pegged at 140 mph. We were still accellerating. We stopped at University (for the traffic light), he lost, I won. He wanted to go again, I thought about it, then backed up (I was going to turn off), lined up along side of him and then out of no where, 4 Jacksonville PD units converged on us. A few minutes later, another officer showed up and let us know that he saw us go by, just a pair of blurs and a sliver and orange streak! Seems he called us in on his radio and had us intercepted. $600 later ($300 for the lawyer and $300 to the court), I decided to sell off the Mustang and get a truck!

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Once,,, my daughter was attacked by a dog. After taking care of the dog, I was able to pick her up and threw her in my vehicle and go to the hospital. I was between 110 and MPH.

End result, she is fine and has a few minor scars..

My bigger feet is speed on water, topped out at 112 knots chasing some "Tangos" while deployed over seas

112 knots is equivalent to 128.89 mph.

We cruised around at 60 to 80 knots pretty much always. But it is a bit hairy nearing 100 knots..

Good time though...

130 when I had my GT Stang and so far now 145 in my Vette equiped with the factory crapp year run flats. It still has plenty on tap left, just didn't like the way it felt at such speed with the crap years and I let off.

154 mph at Mid-Ohio Sports Car course(Porche 911 at a driving school), and about 125mph on an interstate in a Charger RT(with a 440 6-pack).

[Broken External Image]:

I touched this car with my own hand this past spring. Its the worlds fastest production car (if I remember right, not really a car guy). I think if I would have tried to drive it, a sniper would have shot me from the rafters of this building.

The fastest I ever went was about 150-160 in a friends Audi S4. That was his graduation present from his parents.....yeah sick isn't it?

The fastest I ever drove was about 140 MPH in my 1989 Taurus SHO. I had to slow down so the rust would stop falling off.

Brett

On a public road, I've had my Toyota Matrix XRS up to about 110mph before I ran out of road.

In a previous job, I had a chance to drive an 8-cyl Lincoln LS on a test track. Got it up to about 120 on a 2 mile straight. Not the car I would have wanted to do that in, but it was still fun.

Rocks

My Suzuki with a 1.3 L Turbo Diesel can do 160 kph, so the fact the Mazda 3 was so limited, is pathetic.

You can thank the insurance companies and lawyers for that one.

Me, 135 MPH.

Tom

I hit 140 on the back straight at Road Atlanta in a 1991 E34 M5 with a Dinan Stage III package during a BMW track day. Loved that car.

As for the ST, I have only hit 103....at least that's was the GPS said my top speed was for the trip.

130mph in my '82 Mustang GT. It would do that any time, any day, all day, no problem.

105 in a Chevy Corsica 4cyl. Governor actually cut in. It refused to go any faster, even though I had plenty of pedal left.

98 in my GMC stepside with the 4.3 v6. Governor hit so hard I thought the engine had died.

Somewhere the far side of 120 in my 1970 Galaxie. Don't really know for sure, since the speedo was one of those flat ones that the needle rode behind. Once it reached the end, it disappeared! The built 390 had plenty of power, but it was pushing a real brick. Cop pulled me over and wrote me up for an expired inspection sticker. He didn't have time to clock me!

About 95 in the Trac. Not very many places to run that fast around here. Not bad for almost 160k, though!

168 MPH in this truck............ AWESOME 25 laps, by myself.... and 146 in my 1970, 454 Corvette

135 in a 71 Torino with a 351 Cleveland engine.

[Broken External Image]:

I thought the front end was actually going to get airborne.

Latest posts