What is the fastest you've ever driven a car in mph

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
About 35 yrs ago a friend let me drive his Mercedes 300 SL. Next thing I knew I was doing 150 mph. :eek: He just looked over at me and said; "It's your ticket". ;) Needless to say that I slowed down just a little. Just the fastest you've ever driven; that may or may not include a 1/4 mile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Car with the highest theoretical speed, or the fastest ever driven in any car?

I've not gone faster then about 105 behind the wheel on public roads, but have driven and ridden in a few cars that could come close to the double century mark.

I would have to say the theoretically fastest vehicle I have driven was a 1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT. It was my boss's demo at the time, so I never actually opened it up! Dealer tags would get a phone call REAL quick! :p

115 on Indiana State highways once driving myself and another time in someone elses car with them driving:

1. First time I was a teenager and my uncle let me drive his totally rebuilt 1963 Ford Falcon (I think that was the year). My uncle is a mechanic and stripped it to the frame and rebuilt and painted everything...it was Blue and White. Anyway, I still remember what he said to me when we got on a straight away, "put it to the floor and when you hear the motor start to whine (spelling?), just nudge the shifter and it will kick in and be careful because it will fishtail a little." Well, it did all that and in a hearbeat I was doing 115 and then he says, "better slow down so you don't get a ticket"!!!!! Not sure how fast I could have gone.

2. Second time my dad and I rode with a friend of his from one town to another about 30 miles away to get of all things a trolling motor for his boat. Anyhow, he was in a hurry so I peaked up over the seat once and saw that we were doing about 115 and passed a cop!!!!! Oh, did I tell you my dad's friend was a State cop and we were in his patrol car!!!! It was fun, but made me realize how much cops let each other get away with things!

I've driven a few cars with the potential to easily top 100, but have just never got on it like Porshe's and Vets.

Back around 1990, I was driving from San Diego to my uncle's in Ridgecrest, CA on CA-395 (two lane highway) in my heavily modded '86 Mustang GT. I decided to pass someone, and was doing about 135 when I went around the other car, with plenty of pedal left to go. I wish I still had that car, because it was a lot of fun!

About 1/2 a mile after I passed, a CHiP appeared in my rear view mirror with lights flashing. Long story short, the cop said he was going to be "nice" and write down 85mph on the ticket. It still cost me $160.

The fastest car I ever drove was my last ride....

a 2006 Stage2 ROUSH Mustang:

[Broken External Image]:

A buddy of mine drove a friends 2008 Dodge Viper and wrecked it....so I will only drive cars I own!

I haven't gone too terribly fast ~96mph in a 93 F-150, but 3 summers ago I was taking law enforcement classes and we had to spend 2 days doing the driving class in squad cars. We didn't have a chance to go too fast since we had a course to run and I would have killed myself going 100+ on it. But one of our tasks was to practice a straight line backing after doing a reverse slolam. My co-driver and I were trying to see how fast we could go in reverse, after all I was perfect in every test (the only one not to hit a single cone or finish too slow). We found out 40mph in reverse is the fastest the crown vics will go, but you can punch it and apparently hit a passing gear in reverse.

I pissed a lot of people of since I could do no wrong on the testing. One of them was a test where you had to drive ~40 yards, pull into a parking spot, back out, drive forward (towards the start line 40 yards and back the car into a parking spot that only had 6" clearance on either side of it. You had 45 seconds to finish this task. The instructor came over to time our practices, I of course had to go first, I screeched the tires from the start and he was telling me "go go go", so I started to do everything faster, when I was all done he said "good job...16 seconds" 20 seconds was the closest anyone else could do. I would do that weekend all over again.

Knew a guy back when I was in school with a 66 Chevelle SS with the 396. He gave me a ride home one night. Not sure what speed we reached because my eyes were closed the whole time. Just know we made the normally 90 minute trip in about 30 minutes. :wacko:

125+ in my friends Dodge Conquest Twin Turbo (can't remember model year). North on I-5 from LA to SJ. After 125, I was too scared to look down at the speedo . . .

Fastest car I ever rode in was a buddy's '68 Mercury Montego ex-Highway Patrol car. I saw 125 on the "certified accurate" speedometer.

The quickest car I ever rode in and drove was his brothers '69 Camaro SS with a built 396, 4-speed Muncie rock-crusher. Don't know what it did in the 1/4, but I'll bet it was somwhere in the low 12's.

I wasn't driving, so I guess it doesn't truly count, but my college roommate and I were consistently clocking 144mph in a Mercury Sable most of the way from southern Georgia to just outside Chicago coming back from spring break in 1992. (The Sable's spedometer topped off at 120, so we were judging our speed by clocking our time between freeway mileposts. 25 seconds per mile = 144 miles per hour.)

The fastest (theoretical top speed) and quickest (0-60) vehicle I've ever driven is my current daily driver, a 2003 Lightning. Car and Driver rated it at 147 MPH, although owners have often clocked them at a little over 150 via GPS. Stock 0-60 time for 2002-2004 models is supposed to be around 5.0-5.2 seconds. I've never tested mine at a drag strip, and have never driven it over about 110.

The fastest speed that I have actually driven is about 135 MPH, first in my 1965 Mustang ca. 1973, then in my 1990 Probe GT about 18 years later. Both were totally maxed out at that speed. The Mustang felt like it was going to go airborne, but the Probe felt solidly planted.

Best gas mileage at supralegal speed: 35.3 MPG in the Probe GT on a trip during which I held a steady 85 MPH for over an hour.

Oh, and I've had the ST up to about 90 once. It felt solidly planted, but the steering felt really twitchy.

Latest posts