Was fun while it lasted

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casey Everhart

Reaction score
Stock Good years + water = bad times

[Broken External Image]:

Turning into a parking lot, little too fast (about 15mph). Back end hit some water. Went sideways and next thing I know was upside down. Nobody was hurt thankfully, the 2 guys in my truck thought it was awesome. No other cars or anything.

Dont think I'll get another trac unfortunately. Looking at Jetta's, but going down to probably pick up a BMW 325i today.

Replacing the tires and shocks should be done immediately after driving off the lot. It is truly a lifesaver.

Glad no one was hurt. Use that Gap insurance.

Turning into a parking lot, little too fast (about 15mph).

To go clean on to the roof, I think closer to 30MPH..

Sorry for your loss

Glad your OK..

Todd Z

I bet one of his wheels caught a curb. If that happened in a slide, he could roll even at 15 mph.

Back in 2000, I rolled a Corolla at less than 30 mph These cars don't normally roll. I had a blowout on a curve on a gravel road and went into a 180-degree spin over an embankment. Sometimes it is just a fluke of nature and everything is timed just right for a rollover.

It's just like the Dale Earnhardt crash. It looked like a normal NASCAR crash from a distance, but we all know it wasn't. Sometimes it is just your day to go. Fortunately, for Aaaron and his buddies, they get to tell the story. Others aren't so fortunate.

I keep seeing everyone say to replace the stock shocks and tires right away but I just cant bring myself to get rid of shocks and tires that have less than 10000 miles on them. Is it really that big of a safety issue? If that rollover really happened at 15mph then I guess there is a concern but as Todd Z said I doubt it happened at 15mph, unless there is another factor, the picture may not show all but I dont see a curb or uneven ground there. I am considering new shocks maybe in a few months if I find a good sale but cant see buying new tires yet, I dont have that much money to burn. Just curious what has anyone got for a good deal on shocks.

I keep seeing everyone say to replace the stock shocks and tires right away but I just cant bring myself to get rid of shocks and tires that have less than 10000 miles on them. Is it really that big of a safety issue?

Yes. I listened, like you, and said the same thing. Not going to throw away perfectly good shocks and tires. WRONG! At ~30K, I had the ST on a lift while changing my oil and the stock tires were dryrotting and cracking on the INSIDE side wall. I could put my fingers well into the cracks. I immediately bought new tires and put new shocks on shortly after and the difference is amazing in the handling of the ST.

Well got the police report today (I'm a claims adjuster so I know the routine for insurance). Police estimate based on measurements, and skid marks the truck was doing approx 20 to 25mph. Cause of the accident was the rear end losing traction in water. No gross negligence or wreckless driving (whoo!) I still know that I'm at fault, instead of trying to turn, I shoulda just drove by and turned around.

Oh well, gonna miss my track.

As for the questions about the tail lights, I'll probably grab them off if I can. Doubt it though. They were the non apc lights (which I liked better anyway).

Firedog. At least consider replacing the shocks. It will make the truck handle much better. I promise you won't regret it.

TomT I have no doubt it will handle better and I wouldn't regret the ride but right now I have to choose between diapers and formula or Trac Mods so there really isn't much of a choice there. Not that I'm strapped for cash but hard to justify it right now. Hopefully in a few months when my wife goes back to work I can get to those mods.

The only possible way I can see that happening at 15MPH is if you lost control AND hit a curb or ditch almost immediately and that caused the flip. Aaron, can you give more info?

I lost control of my ST last winter. Was on dry road, driving up a hill and hit black ice. She swerved, and the backend came out and around, and I went off the road onto a small grassy bank. I was doing between 30 and 40 when it happened, and went around about 120 deg before coming to rest (that was after some fish tailing). I might even have been going faster...I think we tend to underestimate our speed on such events.

Never felt to me like the ST was going to roll though.

Oh, and my ST was fine.

TJR

'02 with 75,000 miles, stock shocks and replaced OEM tires at 70,000. Guess I'm on eof the lucky ones. That's not to say that I didn't have any close calls, but I've had them in every car I've driven (two of the cars the "close calls" ended up with the engine in my lap).

That sucks Aaron. I am sorry to read the news. I am glad everybody is ok. As mentioned above, good luck in the future. Hopefully you can get everything off the ST you can. Maybe make a few bucks.

Tommy

you shouldnt have to replace shocks,sway bar and tires on a new or low milege vehichle just to make it safe to drive. I have reservations as to if all this stuff is realy nessary to make the trac safe. I have towed a boat all over including a one way trip from vermont to SC (1100 miles) made several road trips with family on all types of weather and road types with no safety issues due to suspension quality. I also dont drive like a blooming idiot either, It's a SUV not a porche 911 targa. The sport portion on the name is strictly pertaining to the styling of the vehichle only guys.

Latest posts