Was fun while it lasted

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, you shouldn't have to replace them. However, Ford spends 3-5 bucks on the shocks how good can they be? Well remove one and push on it and you will be amazed how it compresses with very little effort. Replace them and you will wonder why you didn't do it the first week you had the ST. It 's a HUGE difference!

If I have to spend a little more to make it more safe it's worth it.

Here is a lame analogy...500K house has 7.00 door locks. I guess you shouldn't have to replace those either when you bought the house because they must be safe compared to a 200.00 commercial deadbolt lock.

He had to clip the curb to get the rear end weight unsettled. 15 MPH spin on water I find hard to believe can cause that.

Walter, I was traveling on a highway at a reasonable speed (doing around the speed limit on a 65mph stretch), and hit a pothole with the left front tire. The ST side-stepped about 3 feet into the passing lane after it hit the pothole. Several other incidents like that happened to me, typically when hitting minor road imperfections at higher speeds, or even at lower speeds when cornering and turning in a slight radius and hitting small bumps in the road. The ST just liked to shimmy and side-step as if all four tires were losing grip with the road.

When discussing this before on this board several here asked "what did you expect?" and "I try to miss potholes, don't you?", and otherwise questioned if it wasn't me that was the issue since they never had such problems.

Well I can only speak for my experience, but the reality is that after several instances of this side-stepping, I replaced the OEM shocks at 9K miles with Rancho RSXs, haven't changed my driving habits, and haven't had a single shudder, bounce, shimmy or side-step of note in the last 14K miles.

TJR

I can vouche(sp) that with new Monroe Reflex Shocks, 9.5" Wide Falken Ziex Tires on 20" Wheels, EE Swaybar, Lowered, you can do a pretty sharp corner (60degrees or so) in an ST at 60-70MPH without flipping ;)

Flipping in my opinion is always the drivers error in 1 shape or form.