Vice President Dick Cheney accidentally shot............................

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or share a pizza with Bill Clinton.

On the fortunate side, Monica didn't end up in ICU from that shot to the face and shoulder.

Our national sales tax GST, has created a huge underground economy, if you

pay cash and do not want a receipt you can buy alot of things and have alot of services

done under the table (you pay no GST). Home renovation is a huge problem for the

government.

GWAC - Also an enormous underground economy in the US, especially barter and cash sales. Taxes of any kind encourage people to find a way to avoid them.

Under the Fair Tax, it is impossible to buy any item at retail and not have the taxes collected. The taxes are paid to the buyer of an item and then "rebated" to them when they sell it. Under either system, there all kinds of tax dodges. I work with a lot of independent contractors and, when I ask the price they as if I am sending them a 1099 at the end of the year.

One of the beauties of a consumption tax is that illegal or hidden income is taxed when the person buys something with it. Another is the dramatically lower cost of compliance and the freedom of economic choice. By freedom of choice, I mean that I don't have to consider tax consequences for nearly every business and estate decision I take. That will result in an enormous spurt of economic growth.

How does it work for renovations or the plumber coming over and you paying cash and the

plumber not reporting anything.

Maybe I missing something, is it just goods or is it for service also (plumber).

our 7% national sales tax (going down to 5%) is for goods and services. (except

financial/groceries and house purchases). The plumber comes over you pay 7% more

onto of his hourly charge, so what happens you pay cash, you pay not tax, he does

not declare it and the plumber pays no income tax. Everyone wins except the Government,

which is another benefit. lol

How does it work for renovations or the plumber coming over and you paying cash and the

plumber not reporting anything.

Maybe I missing something, is it just goods or is it for service also (plumber).

It doesn't except for the parts and supplies that he has to buy. But seriously, does anyone really think that paying cash for any service results in that being reported? Home much of the tip you leave in cash is actually reported to the IRS from restaurants? Cash is 75% not reported. Check, credit card, etc is.

MikC-

I hope it did not sound as if I was against the flat tax. By far the opposite. As an economist, I can tell you that I am one of the biggest supporters of the fair tax.

As far as the people who do taxes, the IRS etc... when was the last time you saw a buggy whip maker? Let alone three or four per town? They were a casulty of progress.

Which takes me to my point....

Pro is the opposite of Con.

Do we really want Progress going to Congress?

I am not making that up either. I live 40 minutes from the largest Amish settlement in the USA. There are alot of Amish that drive buggies and they need whips to get those horses moving.

Holmes County is the Largest. Then we have Middlefield, Ohio in Geauga County that also has a large number of Amish families. We also have a few scattered in Stark County and Wayne County.

Tom

Ahhh yes, the Amish. Now I understand.

Ok, so maybe Babie Buggies would have been a better example, or maybe Home Ice Delivery Man (Or does Schwann's still count??)

Wow, this story died a quick one. Almost lasted one full week in the media frenzy.

Seems that the media and anti-administration zealots are a lot like little kids on a sugar high; they bounce around a lot and are hard to calm down, but it typically doesn't last long.

TJR

Yeah, Time and Newsweek seem like they've been left in the dust with their cover stories this week. No one else is really talking about this anymore, but they're still hanging on, trying to make this into a bigger issue than it really is.

Time's cover headline and Newsweek's cover photo really show you where their bias is and how they're trying to spin this subject.

Here's another reason this seems to have died out: The media and Dems couldn't make this into an issue that would make the Bush administration look bad. So they jumped on another bandwagon: The current U.S. port sale to arabs. Just look at how many Dems are now supposedly against this, and slamming the President for saying that he's for it.

Here's another reason this seems to have died out: The media and Dems couldn't make this into an issue that would make the Bush administration look bad. So they jumped on another bandwagon: The current U.S. port sale to arabs. Just look at how many Dems are now supposedly against this, and slamming the President for saying that he's for it.

Another possibility. We are told the government cant do this, can do that, etc. Do we really know the truth about anything we hear? Could, I know I am streaching here but honestly we don't know for sure, the Bush administration told the media to STFU?

Tom

I doubt it, Tom. Because if that were true, why hasn't the Bush administration told the media to "STFU" about every other controversial issue that was potentially harmful, or was spun to look harmful, to the Bush administration. Examples:

1. Abu Gharib

2. Gitmo

3. Secret prisons overseas.

4. FISA wire-tapping program.

And the disclosure of the last two I listed were major violations of national security by revealing highly classified information. So the gov't probably could've shut the press down, and even proscecuted them on these two, but they didn't.

Here's an excerpt from a Washington Post op-ed running today about the press. The full piece is linked below.

Since the war on terrorism began, the mainstream press has had no problem printing stories and pictures that challenged the administration and, in the view of some, compromised our war and peace efforts. The manifold images of abuse at Abu Ghraib come to mind -- images that struck at our effort to win support from Arab governments and peoples, and that pierced the heart of the Muslim world as well as the U.S. military.

The press has had no problem with breaking a story using classified information on detention centers for captured terrorists and suspects -- stories that could harm our allies. And it disclosed a surveillance program so highly classified that most members of Congress were unaware of it.

In its zeal to publish stories critical of our nation's efforts -- and clearly upsetting to enemies and allies alike -- the press has printed some articles that turned out to be inaccurate. The Guantanamo Bay flushing of the Koran comes to mind.

In their never-ending effort to make President Bush look bad, the press are like moths fluttering from one flame to the next, attempting to create or exploit things into bigger deals than they actually are.

Last edited by a moderator:
In their never-ending effort to make President Bush look bad, the press are like moths fluttering from one flame to the next, attempting to create or exploit things into bigger deals than they actually are.

Personally, I feel Bush can look bad all by himself. LOL

Tom

I don't agree with you on the President, but you are correct -- there are many on this earth which make it a habit of making themselves look like fools. :lol:

The President and other public figures have the camera focused on them nearly all day, so it is likely that any mistakes will be recorded to be scutinized and made fun of. We just have to realize that none of us are perfect, not even our President. Life is tough at the top.

Latest posts