Update on Supercharged Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a reason why you would have gone with a lower-horsepower model?

A couple of hours ago, I'd have said that you could NEVER have too much horsepower...and I don't need no stinking traction control either... Half of that is still true.

My GTO has the LS2. I bet the LS1 guys would probably be snippy if I went over there talking about the tremendous power. hehe

I already have my cold air intake on the way. I'm seriously thinking about NOT changing the muffler, I can't imagine that any aftermarket company could make it sound any better and you get at most 3 horsepower from a cat-back system on a GTO, so I can't see paying $500+ for it. It's got the PERFECT sound.

At the time, the 400HP model wasn't out. Had I known about the 400HP, I would've waited. Not that I think it would've mattered, there are only two Pontiac dealers close, the first one, who I delt with first, lied to me, gave me a huge run around, and everything else. I coulda gotten what I wanted, but they wanted me to pay $800/month for it. The second dealer is a Pontiac/Buick/GMC/Mazda dealer...I went look at the RX-8 (looks good, but lack power), and that dealer gave me a complete run around as well. Denying rebates, not wanting to deal, that sorta thing. So i wasn't wanting to stick around and try to make a deal on a GTO.

I agree, the stock exhuast note isn't bad, but the stock exhuast piping is. Lots of crimps and restirctions. I always wanted to get the side-dump exhuast because I didn't like the single wimpy looking pipe out the back...but the '05s have dual pipes and a decent looking rear fascia, so other then headers and a high-flow cat, I wouldn't change much. Maybe stainless piping, but maybe not.

I couldn't really even IMAGINE a supercharged GTO. All the traction control in the world wouldn't be able to keep THAT beast on the road.

This dealer was pretty cool. I have always had trouble with GM dealers in the past, they don't seem to want to deal as much or cut me any slack if the price comes down to a few bucks. This dealer and I were about $2700 difference between what I wanted to pay and what they wanted to sell it for. I stuck to my guns and they gave me all of that $2700. They'll probably sell my trac for over retail anyway, so really, they weren't cutting me THAT great of a deal, but they sure acted like they were. It's amazing what you can accomplish when you let 'em know that you've already driven their direct competitors car (in this case, the Mustang GT). hehe

I'd like to drive a super/turbocharged GTO, but I would not like to buy the tires.

From what I hear, the GTO suffers really bad from heat soak, so power is great while it's cold...but not so after a few runs. The magazine that had this GTO didn't have it intercooled, and I think it was a centrifugal 'charger and not a roots...regardless, they used nitrous to try to bring the intake temps back down. It worked, but still had heat soak.

I'd like to see a twin turbo version with a huge honkin' intercooler and radiator, with the turbos mounted mounted low and forward, just aft of the fog lights to keep thm cool, and can't forget the large capacity oil cooler and extra capacity remote mounted oil filter...the more oil, the better. Gotta have some huge 13" wide rear wheels and bubble rear fenders....yeah, that'd be nice.

It would be nice alright! I remember my Trans Ams pulling extremely hard throughout the RPM range and through all 4 gears (they were automatics), but not as hard as the GTO. There was never a time where I felt I could relatively easily lose control on dry pavement. I just wonder how many "kids" out there got one of these for their 16th birthday and wrecked it within a week? It's going to take some getting used to, even after driving the squirely supercharged trac. The trac was quick but at no time was I able to overwhelm the tires so greatly that there was no coming back (ie. spinning the car on around in a turn). I got this car sideways with the traction control ON. I'm fairly sure without the t/c on, I'd have gone on around. Once I get used to it again, this car is going to be a BLAST to drive. I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to a non-performance vehicle.

A wee lil car that is stupidly fast. ;)

I actually have had it on for more than 4 weeks, I was going into my third month and 2500 miles. I think the trac was on its last leg. That engine just doesn't like over 300 horsepower (which is fairly obvious, since it's designed with 200). I honestly don't think the trac would have made it four more weeks, probably not 4 more months and definitely not 4 more years.

The GTO does not deserve that name. It might be fast, but it is not a GTO. The new Mustang deserves to be called a Mustang because it looks like one. Take the horse off the front end and ask someone what it is. they will know, by looks alone, it is a Mustang. The GTO would be confused with a Grand Prix or even a Grand Am.

That is why I say I don't think the GTO deservs that name.

Tom

If you even HEAR the GTO, you will immediately be able to tell it apart from a grand am or a grand prix. If you ride in it, or get left in its tire smoke, you will absolutely be able to tell it apart from a grand am or grand prix. A car as large as the old GTOs just wouldn't be practical in these days of $3 dollar gasoline. As it is, the GTO is really not considered practical, but it's FAR more so than its older brother.

I can almost guarantee you that 5 minutes behind the wheel of the GTO would probably cause you to change your mind about the GTO being able to live up to the name...it's THAT great.

I am talking about the looks. It does not look anything that could be a GTO. A Corvette looks like a Corvette. A Ford GT looks like a GT40. A GTO does not look anything like a GTO.

As I said, it might be fast and a blast to drive, but it isn't a GTO.

Tom

I can ASSURE you that it's a GTO...it's written all over the car! hehe

However, if you're using that logic, last generation's mustang wasn't really a mustang, nor was any from 1970 until this year. ;)

I never said they were, then again, the Mustang continued to evolve. The GTO didn't. The Mustangs in the 70's werent really Mustangs. They had a different name, Mustang II.

Tom

I think you may overanalyze things even more than me Tom, and I had considered myself hopeless a LONG time ago. hehe

Instead of GTO, they should have named it "FUN", it would be a bit more descriptive. :cool:

There you go. LOL

The new GTO is something GM really needed to jump start thier performance cars since the death of the Camaro/Firebird.

The really sad thing is GM is considering going to design the new GTO into a 4 door. What morons.

Tom

Yeah, I saw a picture of the proposed new model, it's fugly. I hated it the second I saw it. Maybe GM will smarten up and not do something so stupid to the GTO. I will have to agree with you that it won't be a GTO if the next model looks anything like the one I saw the other day.

The same goes for the new Dodge Charger. A 4 door, get real. Imagine the Mustang going to a 4 door. I would just freak out.

I am really wanting a GT 500. That would be simply awesome.

Tom

Yeah, the GT 500 should be very cool...and FAST.

My dad had a charger when he was younger. He doesn't like the new chargers either though, he doesn't feel that they stayed true to the charger name (he's an overanalyzer too). The SRT-8 is about the closest thing to the original charger, and even that's not a very good version. Personally, I think we need to bring back the El Camino or maybe the GREMLIN. haha

The original GTO looked like a LeMans. The 'Cuda looked like a Barracuda. So what if the new GTO looks like a Grand Prix, it falls right in line with history. You've got a nice, sedate, small car with a small engine. Then comes along a car very similar looking, but with a huge motor and a mean exhuast note.

Ford simply went with the "Me Too" route with the styling of the new Mustang. "Hey, everyone else has a retro looking high volume model, why not us?"

A modern Vette looks nothing like the '53. The '53 Vette didn't have a V8 in it either. So what? Although a modern Vette with metal stone guards would be soemthing else. Many would consider the greatest Corvette ever made, non limited production models excluded, to be the '67 427 FI. The C6 looks nothing like that car. Why should it? Who says the only way to have a performance car these days is to look like something that's already been done before? Oh....right.

There ARE some old styles I might not mind seeing again. '67 427 would be one of 'em. Others are the 69 Camaro (with a modern engine/drivetrain that would be one majorly sweet car), GTO Judge, '71 Barracuda, '70 charger, '71 challenger with a modern 426 hemi would be up there as well. There are DOZENS of cars I'd like to see be reincarnated...just with modern parts (same bodystyle).

Latest posts