Ted Kennedy passed this evening at 77

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never waited for him to die to say he was a scum bag. I always thought that, and that this was a perfect time to voice my opinion.

I never waited for him to die to say he was a scum bag. I always thought that, and that this was a perfect time to voice my opinion.

That's just it, Gary. It's not a perfect time to say that--in fact, it's likely the most inappropriate time possible. If you had made comments like that anytime while he was alive, I might disagree with your opinion, but I'd have no issues with you saying it. Same goes for if you had waited a week or two from now. But to choose this moment to do it is completely classless and inappropriate.

How I really feel about all politicians is that they are all self serving liers, be it Democrat or Republican, who only care about getting money and votes. If our elected officials really cared about this country they would work as an elected official for minimum wage. This IS supposed to be a country "By the people and for the people" (not quoted exactly); NOT a country by the politician and for the politician. MY judgement is that people have got to get their collective apathetic heads out of the sand and take back this Great country from the politicians. And, do it peacefully.

I didnt like the mans politics. But Im not spiting on his grave as some the left might think. My condolances to the family. It is a lose to the country.

My hope is he is replaced by someone moderate. Dem or Rep. Yes Im a conservative but I never pull a straight ticket.

I think it is a**inine for the left on this board to continualy attack conservatives. I have been here since '04. I have watched, the left attack conservatives most often. Including name calling.

I would like to list a few names but I wont. You know who you are. I dont understand your need to attack. When someones politics are different.:(

Rodger (& Georgia) asked:

Can you please enlighten me as to the facts on this?

Sure, Rodger.

First of all, the Federal gov't has no Constitutional authority whatsoever to be involved in public education. The NCLB act put in place a myriad of mandates/requirements to which local school districts have to adhere, but didn't provide the funding to enable them to do so. Also under this law, schools have to achieve/maintain certain Federal accreditation standards. If schools lose the accreditation, they lose Federal funds. These accreditations are based upon standardized test results. Now of course no school wants to lose funding, no matter the source; so there's tremendous pressure on staff to ensure that students score high on the tests. NCLB also mandates certain certification criteria which teachers have to maintain, often based on student test results. So teachers are "teaching to the exams". As a result, students in many localities are learning how to take tests, and not really receiving a quality education. Again, no Constitutional authority for any of this. It should be something regulated at the state and local level.

And of course, being a Federal program, there's a plethora of paperwork/red tape to complete to ensure compliance with the mandates.

Being in the Special Ed field, my wife and her students are not subject to many of the NCLB mandates. However, there are still some of them that she has to deal with, and she often assists her non-Special Ed colleagues.

The bottom line is that this law should've never passed. Public education something that, per the 10th amendment, should be left to the state and local gov't's.

This law is just one example of very poor domestic policy during President Bush's tenure in office. The teacher's unions don't like it either, but try to blame Bush solely for the failings of the act by not fully funding it. However, it's Congress, not the President that writes the Federal budget. And this bill was touted as a "bipartisan" accomplishment between Bush and Kennedy, to EMK should bear just as much of the blame for its failings, and the fact that it should've never become law to begin with as President Bush.

A quick "report card" on NCLB is at the link below. The same site also contains a bunch of other info on NCLB.

Ah, yes. The classless conservatives on this board once again rear their heads; this time to spit on the grave of someone who, whether you agree with his ideology or not, made this country a better place through his years of devoted service to this country. Sad, but unfortunately, around here, it's to be expected.

Get some class, people. Everyone's families and supporters deserve some time to mourn and remember their loved ones at the time they pass away, without comments being made like these. By acting like this, you're no better than that Kansas preacher who protests at military funerals by saying that this is God's way of punishing homosexuals

The only thing that was inappropriate was your first post that stirred the pot, as usual. You can check back to the year 2000, I have posted maybe once or twice during one of these mud slingings. I never said anything about you, or never called you a name. If you don't like someone's opinion, just say that and stop the name calling. BTW, I'm not a conservative, and oh yeah FO!

Here comes the "Kennedy Health Care" bill. Now they have a name for it, but they have to wait til he's diefied with a state funeral.

buzz

And, yes, I did have my free PAPA JOHNS pizza today.:)

Right or left, a drunk driver killed a woman and got off totally free.

That is the only fact I can base my feelings on regarding Senator Kennedy.

Absolutly! Here is something interesting to think about. The people really didn't care or they would have voted him out.

In the end, the voters are to blame for anyone in political office. We can vote them in, but we can also vote them out.

Tom

I'm too young to remember Chappaquiddick (I know the story, don't need someone to tell it), so I guess that never formed much of my opinion of Kennedy. Politically, I never liked the guy, but he was a good Senator, at least in the fact that he sponsored alot of legislation and the people of his state consistently elected him to office. He seemed sincere in his convictions and a desire to do the right thing for the country. Even though I didn't agree with what he stood for in many (most) cases. I'll at least give him the respect he is owed due to his office, and that to his family who, however you may feel about their politics, has been influencial in the country like really no other family has ever been.

Personnally, I'm not comfortable with many of the things that have been said about Senator Kennedy in this thread. I'm not really comfortable with those kinds of comments being said about any of our elected officials. (Though, I will admit, I have slipped myself on that at times, particularly about our current President, who anyone who knows me knows I am not a fan of. Doesn't mean I'm proud of that).

I'm not going to call out anyone who has made those comments though. Not my place to tell you how to think or behave. I don't think that anything has been flat out lies, in which case I would call you out. Beyond that, you can say whatever you want. Doesn't effect me at all other than to effectively effect my opionion of the people saying them.

A small soapbox.

Rocks

Well if you were around, you would have a different out look on this.... At the time he was running for re-election, that is reason it was sweep under the table. If he would have been held responsible for his actions, he not have been in the Senate. You pull a stunt like that and see what happens...

he was a good Senator, at least in the fact that he sponsored alot of legislation and the people of his state consistently elected him to office.

The thread established that he sponsored a lot of bad legislation, and that the people of his state consistently elected him to office because of his name and family reputation, not due to his deeds and character while in office.

So I'm confused as to how you can claim he was a good senator with reasons that were already rebuked?

For the record, when I'm criticizing those of you who have made inappropriate comments--I made many of the same criticisms to and about people who made similar inappropriate remarks about Reagan in the days immediately his death as well. This isn't about politics--it's about good taste.

KL,

I didn't agree with the legislation that he sponsored either, I also think that it was bad. But I'm guessing that the people in his statre who voted for him had an entirely different opinion of that legislation, which is why he was re-elected. He was working for them, not me. That is how he was a good Senator -- he represented his state in the way that they wanted. This is why they re-elected him. T

hat the legislation was bad and he was elected because of his family name are only "established" in this thread because you say they are.

Fast Eddie, until you have any idea at all of what you're talking about, stay out of it....

Last edited by a moderator: