OT--Which is better? 95 degree humid heat or 105 "dry" heat?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael b

Reaction score
That may be pushin' it a bit but what I'm really trying to find out is if it's true that places like Arizona may be really hot in the summer, but because of low humidity feels better then somewhere where it is more humid. Like the old saying: It's not the heat, It's the humidity"

Anyone experienced both types of summer weather? My Brother lives in Louisiana (sticky) & he says if he could move anywhere it would be Arizona--- I live in Kansas where it gets fairly humid in the summer & I have heard people from the Arizona/New Mexico region comment on how the heat here feels worse then it does in their home states. Considering relocation so I thought I'd do a little research. Thanks.

My parents live in Zona, it is true, 105 dry is definitly better than 95 humid, but, 117° is freaking HOT July/August temps in zona!

That's right, spfarmer.

Here are all the benefits that dry has over moist air:

- dry air is cooler on the skin than moist air

- perspiration evaporates quicker in dry air than in moist air, therefore if you have less sweat rolling off you it seems that you are sweating less and are more comfortable.

- dry air is less insulative (as spfarmer said), and therefore it cools down quicker at night, is cooler in the shade, and its easier to break a heat wave with a rainshower or one cooler day

Go with the dry heat, humidity makes it soooo much worse. Take it from a guy raised in Houston, now living in the Mojave desert.:)

Give me hotter'n hell & air so thick you can cut it with a knife....

[Broken External Image]:

"THE SWAMP...where only GATORS get out alive!"

I've been to the worst of both. Summer in Houston vs summer in Phoenix. Trust me, the Phoenix sun was HOT, but if you stood in the shade, it was quite comfortable. In Houston, it didn't matter where you stood, you sweat your arse off!

Arizona heat wins everytime.

As a person that has suffered the 95+ degree humidity in the Houston area for most of my life, I will definately concur that even 110 feels better in Arizona or NM.

I grew up in the South and now live in Arizona. The summers are much better here. It always seemed pointless to dry off when you get out of the shower in the South. 5 seconds later you were sopping wet again.

Agreed. Dry heat over humidity any day. I was born & grew up in So. Cal, then moved to Memphis.... I miss California summers.

The ONLY benefit I've personally found is that my allergies are better here in Memphis. I didn't expect them to be... I figured coming out to where there's more greenery and mold would make them worse. But something about the humidity keeping my sinuses from drying out has made my summertime allergies WAY better than they were in California.

Might be something to consider, if you're prone to that sort of thing.

My answer is dry heat.

This is from the NIOSH website-National Institute for Occpuational Safety and Heath

Under conditions of high humidity, the evaporation of sweat from the skin is decreased and the body's efforts to maintain an acceptable body temperature may be significantly impaired. These conditions adversely affect an individual's ability to work in the hot environment. With so much blood going to the external surface of the body, relatively less goes to the active muscles, the brain, and other internal organs; strength declines; and fatigue occurs sooner than it would otherwise. Alertness and mental capacity also may be affected. Workers who must perform delicate or detailed work may find their accuracy suffering, and others may find their comprehension and retention of information lowered.

Just a thought, Hot dry heat is far better if you have abused your body as a younger person,I have crashed many racing motorcycles & almost have to go from Can to winter in arizona,it is a great relieve not wake up hurting

Where only Gatros get out alive? Not lately.... HAHAHA

War Damn Eagle!!

"Besides the impressive noise and intensity level inside Jordan-Hare Stadium on gamedays, the Tigers are just downright hard to beat at home, too. Auburn boasts a .798 winning percentage at home over the last 65 years." (Even higher over the last 10 years)

Latest posts