Bad engine best option?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FixxerUpperer

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
So my 2001 4.0 sohc 6 cyl engine recently locked up on me.. considering buying a reman engine and dropping it in myself if I can find a solid one with good warranties etc.. but for the price I'd drop on a reman engine I seen this 05 sport track which is pushing 200,000 miles.. but danm near the same price or cheaper then most reman engines I've looked at (and no warranty unfortunately) but for the price I could have an entire other truck I could pull parts/pieces from (if these years/models have interchangeable parts and pieces)..trying to decide which one would make more sense cost wise and what your thoughts,opinions,tips would be.. greatly appreciate any advice you may have🤙🤘

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240430_202035_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240430_202035_Facebook.jpg
    927.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20240430_202026_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240430_202026_Facebook.jpg
    752 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240430_202013_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240430_202013_Facebook.jpg
    451.7 KB · Views: 0
I have a spare trac that is same year but 2 wheel drive and is a xlt and i used the painted bottom and leather heated seats etc, my trac i got in 04 was the base model 4x4, it is same color but in my opinion it is well worth having a spare trac, i have gave a few parts away.

Attachments

• 20201101_130718.jpg
    20201101_130718.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
So my 2001 4.0 sohc 6 cyl engine recently locked up on me.. considering buying a reman engine and dropping it in myself if I can find a solid one with good warranties etc.. but for the price I'd drop on a reman engine I seen this 05 sport track which is pushing 200,000 miles.. but danm near the same price or cheaper then most reman engines I've looked at (and no warranty unfortunately) but for the price I could have an entire other truck I could pull parts/pieces from (if these years/models have interchangeable parts and pieces)..trying to decide which one would make more sense cost wise and what your thoughts,opinions,tips would be.. greatly appreciate any advice you may have🤙🤘
There's a guy in Tampa Fla rebuilt only 4.0 ohc motors $1500. Guareeteens his work... you got to pull motor
He's doesn't pull motors anymore.
He's old 352 340 6208
He's rebuilt several for me
Still running

Id go with the truck if it has been well maintained. If the motors been taken care of, and you treat it right, it will probably go for over 100k more miles. Before you buy, make sure you listen for the timing "death rattle." Lots of folks try to dump their trucks when it first starts making this noise. It's worse at start up.

There's a guy in Tampa Fla rebuilt only 4.0 ohc motors $1500. Guareeteens his work... you got to pull motor
He's doesn't pull motors anymore.
He's old 352 340 6208
He's rebuilt several for me
Still running
Word! I'm in al/ga so not to Terribly far from Fl.. may have to give him a call and see because 1500$ is a solid deal if he guarantees his work🤙

Id go with the truck if it has been well maintained. If the motors been taken care of, and you treat it right, it will probably go for over 100k more miles. Before you buy, make sure you listen for the timing "death rattle." Lots of folks try to dump their trucks when it first starts making this noise. It's worse at start up.
That's what I was leaning too bc I've seen some of the trucks on here pushing 300,000+ miles but they've also been treated and cared for right.. hard to know how previous owners treated them but id def listen for that death rattle bc I know these engines are pretty notorious for that unfortunately and I hate to be right back to square one with a bad engine/timing chains/guides etc

Word! I'm in al/ga so not to Terribly far from Fl.. may have to give him a call and see because 1500$ is a solid deal if he guarantees his work🤙
And unfortunately I got the 4.0 sohc so idk if the 4.0 ohc would work for my 2001 long block I need

Just an FYI, I got my 2002 with about 160k already on it. I’m religious with oil changes, and exercise good preventative care and I’m currently sitting g at 323k miles. Being in NE Ohio, it’s hard to combat the weather so my cab and frame is on their way out due to rust cancer, but I’d drive that thing to Cali right now if I needed too! lol.

The rattle is usually just deteriorated chain guides which can be changed out without a full rebuild. Timing kits are around $300. The only draw back is the motor has to be pulled because the passenger side timing chain is in the back of the motor.

Just an FYI, I got my 2002 with about 160k already on it. I’m religious with oil changes, and exercise good preventative care and I’m currently sitting g at 323k miles. Being in NE Ohio, it’s hard to combat the weather so my cab and frame is on their way out due to rust cancer, but I’d drive that thing to Cali right now if I needed too! lol.
As an owner of 5 2001 st s and 2 sports all with 200k Fla no rust ...plus never seen a s/t go 300k.. without an upper half engine rebuild pulling the motor. Been go to junkyard once a month.. lots of rangers. /s /t there very very very rare 300k
your very lucky