OT: Was 9/11 Really That Bad?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyway, since both the Dems and Republicans spend like drunken sailors anymore, if the govt runs a deficit when more tax revenue is coming in (it is), then the problem is that the bastiges in Washington are spending too much.

Cannot and will not disagree with you on that one.

Remember, war spending makes american military contractors / companies make money.

Not all of them. I work for a military contractor and we are getting contracts cancelled and the money is sent to Iraq so Haliburton can charge the government another $150.00 for a case of pop!

Tom

Caymen,

Regarding your debt clock, what's another trillion amongst friends.?

I think the US should just do a one-time tax collection to zero the national debt. It should be like a margins call. By year-end 2007 (actually Apr 15 '08) all families have to pay their $28K per member directly to the government. Those that can't pay are considered illegal immigrants and shipped offshore. Use next years budget for security and defense in keeping the poor-folk out.

What a better country it would be!

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
BUMP, and an update:

Above I made the claim that many see Bush as anti-separation of church and state because...

...Bush pushed the limits on separation of church and state by providing federal funding to faith-based, charitable organizations.

I ran across this news story today and it reminded me of the debate in this thread, and the fact that a few here said I was all-wet in that claim (note, I only claimed that some see this as a controversy):

Bush's Faith-Based Program Debated in Court

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court debated on Wednesday whether taxpayers can contest the use of government funds for church-related activities, with examples about presidential travel to address religious groups and bagels served at prayer breakfasts.

The theoretical discussion came in a high-profile case related to the perennial issue of keeping faith out of state matters as mandated by the U.S. Constitution.

The administration was urging the top court to limit the right of taxpayers to sue over government funding of religious activities as a way to derail another larger question over whether President George W. Bush's federal program to funnel federal dollars to religious groups is unconstitutional.

In considering the question, Justice Antonin Scalia asked if a taxpayer could sue over a hypothetical trip by the president on Air Force One to speak to a religious group, with the U.S. government picking up the whole tab, including the cost of fuel and security guards.

"The whole trip is about religion," Scalia said during arguments in the case brought by a Wisconsin group called the Freedom from Religion Foundation and three of its members.

Chief Justice John Roberts made up his own example in questioning the attorney for a group that wants to proceed with its constitutional challenge to Bush's program to help religious groups get federal funds.

"I don't understand under your theory why any taxpayer couldn't sue our marshal for standing up and saying 'God save the United States and this honorable court.' Her salary comes from Congress," Roberts said.

The whole article is at...

Last edited by a moderator: