OT: Was 9/11 Really That Bad?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Rogers

Reaction score
Don't shoot the messenger, I didn't come up with the title. I am just repeating it.

This was an op-ed piece for the LA Times. I wonder if such a piece would run in the NY Times?

Read more by clicking the link:

Leave it to the liberal LA press to come up with that one. I wonder if anyone out there still has their balls or have they all had them surgically removed? :rolleyes:

If you actually read the article, you'll see that the guy is trying to put a historical perspective on the attacks and on our reaction to them. The author is a history professor, so his perspective compares these events to other wars in history.

Beyond that, I'm not quite sure what the hell he's talking about.

What I do know is that people living in the here and now don't really give a damn about history. What they want is to be able to live without fear.

Short and sweet for me: You don't reason with a rabid dog. You chase it down, you cage it, and you put it down.

The day of 9/11 was not "a war" and cant be compared to any war. It was a well planned single act of terrorism. Yes it could have been worse if the 4th plane hit its target but I don't know of any other historical events that are close enough to make a comparison. I am also not a historian. Just my 2 cents.

Ask the people's families who died what they think! Lost a cousin and almost lost a very good friend to that day.

This professor needs a reality check.

Pete

It is no worse than the bombing of Pearl Harbor.

I guess if they called that bombing an act of terrorism, more people would be upset.

The author has a good point though. I am not trying to make 9/11 less then it was, it was a terrible tragedy, was that incident used as a tool to enforce stronger control over the American people?

Did we really over react. Many people in history has suffered more then those affected by the attacks on 9/11, yet they still go on with life.

Tom

I'd say it's comparable to Pearl Harbor, 'cept that Pearl Harbor was a military target so in a way you can't blame the Japanse for wanting to attack it.

I grew up and still live in a small town in western PA, but two people I grew up with were very close to the events of that day. One popped up out of the subway when the WTC started collapsing and ran the other way, another friend was in the Pentagon when it got hit. Both are okay.

9/11 is also my birthday, so I get more agitated than most people because the party is kinda ruined for the rest of my life.

I love to challenge the Liberals by saying that when you heard four planes got hijacked and crashed on purpose, you knew who did it. You KNEW who it was. And they can't deny that.

If it was up to me, on 9/12 I'd have nuked Mecca every day for a week just to prove a point.

I got a thread locked on another board populated mostly by Lefty womenfolk over the weekend when I said I heard that Muslims were boycotting an airline or two, so those ought to be pretty safe airlines to fly. Just calling 'em as I see 'em.

If it was up to me, on 9/12 I'd have nuked Mecca every day for a week just to prove a point.

Couldn't agree more. Over-reaction? Hell if I'd been in charge, every damn muslim country would be a nuclear wasteland.

Just wait until the terrorist get their hands on a nuke (and I'm sure they will eventually). Then we will see how overreacted we were.

I'm pretty sure the Iranians already do but they're having problems with the ignition system and a delivery method from what I hear.

It's tough to win a war against people who want to die anyway.

JohnnyO what makes you so different than any terrorist leader you claim wants to drop a nuke, you advocate the same thing, should you be in jail? the people you should be afraid of are the Russians and Ukranians they are the ones giving the crap away and being irresponsible...

Joseymack

I didn't know nuke bombs had ignitions!

Terrorist can "run" their nukes all they want, it's when they figure out how to detonate them that I am worried about.

;)

Hell if I'd been in charge, every damn muslim country would be a nuclear wasteland.

That's nice. That certainly wouldn't be a huge terrorist act against millions of perfectly innocent people or anything like that.

Ask yourself which would leave the whole world safer for the survivors: mass extermination of all muslims as you propose, or selective extermination of just the ignorant, hate-mongering xenophobes from each culture (you included).

Professors have to publish; that's part of how they get graded by their peers and bosses. Unfortunately, much of what they publish is rubbish. Same thing here. The moronic babblings of man who is out of touch with reality and even believes that what he writes is important.

JohnnyO what makes you so different than any terrorist leader you claim wants to drop a nuke, you advocate the same thing, should you be in jail?

That's nice. That certainly wouldn't be a huge terrorist act against millions of perfectly innocent people or anything like that.

They started it. I didn't do anything to those people except pay good money for their oil. All I'm advocating is fighting back....harder.

the people you should be afraid of are the Russians and Ukranians they are the ones giving the crap away and being irresponsible...

Very true.

Ask yourself which would leave the whole world safer for the survivors: mass extermination of all muslims as you propose

I never said that. I just said I'd make their holy city radioactive for 1000 years or so. Payback time.

or selective extermination of just the ignorant, hate-mongering xenophobes from each culture (you included).

I not a hate-mongering xenophobe. I don't hate on anybody because of what they believe unless it involves killing me (and you). You sir, do not understand this enemy however. Being that they are quite happy to die for their cause, the only way to win is to eliminate the threat. As many as that takes. I am okay with pre-emptive self-defense. They'd do it to us, given the opportunity.

If that DOES involve killing millions in the middle east, I'm okay with that. I could push the button and sleep well at night. Better actually.

Last edited by a moderator:

Perhaps I should re-phrase my original statement to say all countries that have muslim extremist need to be nuked. (Which is most of them). If you have an idea on how to just kill the insurgents then I'm all ears, but I think Iraq has showed us that's impossible.

Ask yourself which would leave the whole world safer for the survivors: mass extermination of all muslims as you propose, or selective extermination of just the ignorant, hate-mongering xenophobes from each culture (you included).

I only hate those that hate me and that wish me harm. If you came onto my property and tried to harm me or my family then you could expect retaliation. Simple as that. I know every muslim's not crazy but there's no disputing the fact that there are a vast number in the mid-east that are and as long as their country is harboring them then I have no mercy for any one of them.

Somebody cue the banjos...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GdzThgveHwQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GdzThgveHwQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>