OT: Standing Up For What's Right - Against Circuit City and the local Police

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TJR, keep in mind that the Bill of Rights describes your relationship with the government, not with a retailer.

You can sign an agreement with another private party and agree to wave certain privacy and property rights. If, at the time of checkout, you fail to live up to your end, you are in breech of contract. The other party does not have the authority to compel you to comply with the contract. That's a matter for the state to address in a civil court, if it comes to that.

The store can simply decide they no longer want to have a relationship with you as a customer and ask you to leave, and in that action, they are entitled to have the force of law back them up (tresspass statutes). If they can't provide the police with reasonable suspicion of a theft, that's pretty much the only remedy they can pursue in the present tense.

Rich said:
TJR, keep in mind that the Bill of Rights describes your relationship with the government, not with a retailer.

Exactly! I was thinking that same thing and meant to make that point. A retailer asking to search your bags (even if on a whim) isn't unconstitutional because they are not the govt.

TJR

Was the request to look at the reciept in the store or parking lot? Withing to confines of the store is one thing, the lot is another.

Tom

I'd say you guys have too much time on your hands... but i just wasted 5 minutes of my life reading all this too..lol... Can I have that time back please..

Pointless arguement..

Can we get back to talkin about tires, intakes, lifts, and zabtech please..lol

:D

griff, more than any other post in this thread, yours alarms me. It means you don't appreciate that these are the very cases upon which your rights are protected or lost. While it is unlikely that this case will become the law of the land, it is possible. And if it does, it could have an impact on whether or not, someday, you or someone you care about gets charged with a crime and/or incarcerated by the government.

I know it's a long leap to that point, but these issues are the very bricks and mortar that allow our system of laws to function, and hopefully function to keep us free.

Was the request to look at the reciept in the store or parking lot? Withing to confines of the store is one thing, the lot is another.

Why? The receipt is his, given to him as a record of his transaction, and remains his inside the store, outside the store, in the police cruiser, at the police station, the city lockup, when he gets home, etc.

Rich,

I was speaking in context to your a TJR's post.

Rich said: Quote:

Exactly! I was thinking that same thing and meant to make that point. A retailer asking to search your bags (even if on a whim) isn't unconstitutional because they are not the govt.

TJR

Regards, Tom

Tom

As I stated before the USA is not a police state. It may just be me but I read between the lines on some of the statements here that are pro-law-enforcement. I feel that some folks just dont want to give up the authority they never owned in the first place. Doesnt make you a bad person. It does indicate a possibilty of being a control freak.

Iam not against any form of police. I wouldnt want there job. I know it can be tough and disapointing at times with some of society they deal with. But I have personaly watched the authority go to the heads of some I know. The control issue was almost like a drug when I listen to them talk when off duty. Dont get me wrong Iam not stereo typing the police.But they must hold there selves to a higher standard when dealing with civil rights.We have too many civilians willing to give in, especialy since 911.;)

I just don't see the point in all the arguing and name calling.. the convo always looks like this when you talk politics or religion.. Rich, I agree that you have made some very good points, and I wasn't refering to your comments at all... Just the arguing.. I was just trying to make light on the subject.. not stand up and say i don't have an opinion.. My post wasn't intended to lead anyone to believe that I don't appretiate the cases that determine my rights... Just to get someone to crack a smile. ;)

I'm not sure if this merits mentioning or not, but I will anyway--one point that may have some bearing is the actual definition of when the "transaction" between the customer and the store starts and ends. If you define the transaction as ending when the customer receives the receipt and the bag of goodies, then the items are the customer's property at that point. (Regardless of whether the store then has the right to inspect the bags before the customer exits the store--that's a whole different discussion.) However, if you define the transaction as ending when the customer exits the store AFTER clearing security, then one may be able to argue that until that full transaction is complete, the bag, its contents, and the receipt remain the property of the store. Refusing to undergo the security check results in the transaction being voided, as it was never completed. And therefore, the "customer" proceeding further out the door from that point would be construed as theft. At that point, all the "probably cause" clauses people have mentioned thus far become effective.

I realize that this isn't likely the case from a legal perspective, and it isn't the case from anyone's practical perspective--but it does go to show just how important the definitions and semantics on situations like this can be...

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are tresspass demands relative to their property.

Granted. But that doesn't in any way cause it to not invalidate your claim that, "They cannot make demands of you in regard to your property." That's still a false statement.

fkent, while you are correct that we only have his version, he has gone out of his way to provide references on who he is (previously published articles about his professional work), as well as the citation number, the names and badge numbers of the officer and supervisor, the location where the event took place. Everything that happens within the legal system will be a matter of public record. His reputation will be on the line when the public gains access to whatever materials are generated from this case, including his testimony, and that of witnesses for or against him.

That's good enough for me.

Whereas it makes me all the more suspicious. If he has all these publications about his professional work, you would think that he has done well enough in his life to have made a reasonably decent living, with reasonably decent pay. But if that's the case, why did he need daddy's money in order to make a measly $300 bail? Something doesn't ring true here...

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill, it's a lot easier to have a relative bail you out with cash than have a bondsmen come and bail you out. Unless he had three hundred dollars in cash on him, he can't bail himself out. Courts don't take credit cards or personal checks for bail. Cash or bond.

Granted. But that doesn't in any way cause it to not invalidate your claim that, "They cannot make demands of you in regard to your property." That's still a false statement.

Actually, they can demand whatever they like. He has no obligation to satisfy the demands of another private party. The only way he would is if a court ordered him to comply with the demand.

Regardibng the transaction: The commercial and contract laws I have studied suggest the transaction is completed once both parties have received their respective value. Exchange of payment and goods is all that is needed.

Actually, if the cashier didn't directly hand the goods over, and instead had an employee walk the bag over to the checker before delivering them to the purchaser, it would probably be perfectly legal to inspect the merchandise. Until the buyer takes possession, the transaction is ongoing and not complete.

Wow, this thread has taken on a life of it's own. To Rich Stern, TJR and others I still maintain this situation was handled badly by all parties involved and they all bear some of the responsibility for what occured. In my original post I was mearly pointing out that under some circumstances a person can be arrested for failing to identify to a police officer. Mr. Stern, I respectfully have to disagree with you on Brown vs. Texas. The supreme court did not find the Fail to Identify law unconstitutional, because it is still on the books and in use, but they did find Brown's subsequent conviction on that charge unconstitutional and reversed his conviction. I would have to agree that under those circumstances in Brown vs. Texas the police were not able to show probable cause to believe a crime had been committed. In Righi's situation though, he called the police to the scene because he believed an offense was occuring, his being restrained against his will. Once the officer arrived and began his investigation Righi was obilgated to provide identification to the officer as a witness/victim, not necessarily his driver's license. However, once the police arrived the situation obviously went down hill and not to Righi's liking. Now, since he was arrested will he be convicted on the charge he was arrested for? That's a whole different debate.

This is probably where a lot of us will have to come to the conclusion we have to agree to disagree if this is right or wrong. Was the arrest legal? Is this a violation of constitutional rights? Who is responsible? Who will have to pay? We can debate this for days with differing opinions and no clear answer. But, that is why we have courts to decide these issues. There is certainly nothing wrong with anyone standing up for what they believe is right. That's one of the great things about living in this country, we can have and voice our opinions. Someone in an earlier post said America is not a Police State. They are absolutely right. And were not, because we have these kinds of discussions and debates. We have a say in how our Government works and what is and is not acceptable. As long as we continue to do more than give it "lip" service we will remain a "free" country.

From a personal and professional stand point, I doubt Righi will be convicted. I think what bothers me personally with the whole episode is his accepting donations for his "legal fight." Maybe this is a "principal of the thing" issue, it just doesn't sound like to me. While there is certainly nothing wrong with Righi standing up for what he thinks is right, I still think there were better ways he and the others involved could of handled the situation. Once again it will be interesting to see the outcome.

Alan and NDSportTrac,

Don't try to to equate your experiences as Security Forces with being in Law Enforcement or being policemen. The rules are very different in the civilian world.

In reality, much of the Air Force Security Forces work has little if anything related to Law Enforcement. Yes, you are required to know a bit about the UCMJ, but since the merger of the Law Enforcement, Security Police and the Military Working Dog career fields, most of the emphasis in training you guys has been focused on Air Base Ground Defense, Force Protection, etc.

Your job is very important to the military and I respect what you do, but wearing a badge and driving a car that looks like a policeman's doesn't make you one.

So my three years of civilian experience as a officer in Florida dont count? Please dont try and bring up points about people you dont know or a job you just googled and typed what you read about.

Time will tell -------------

Some money hungry lawyers will jump on this case and demand $$$$ for compensation from CC or the city. If Righi is true to what he feels, he should not take a penny.

Terry

Mike, I specifically stated:

The Texas law you are referring to was found to be unconstitutional when applied to someone who is not reasonably suspected of a crime. Specifically, the court considered it a violation of the Fourth Amendment.

(note the italicized emphasis)

Once the officer arrived and began his investigation Righi was obilgated to provide identification to the officer as a witness/victim, not necessarily his driver's license.

By his own account, he did exactly that.

I hope you are not suggesting that the officer in question acted properly by arresting Righli. I cannot fathom any legal justification. It was a trumped up charge by a pissed off agent of the government, a plain old-fashioned abuse of state authority.

Righli has updated his blog as of today. It's worth reading the additional details. He's apparently not in it for the money. He's describing how much has been raised and pledged to donate the balance after legal fees to the ACLU.

Crap I just wrote this great big long response but screwed up and lost it. I dont have the time to do it all over, so I'll do a Reader's Digest version. Here is my thoughts from a police officers point of few. In my state store owners/employees do have the right to detain suspected shoplifters, whether in this case they had a reason to suspect him as a shoplifter is open to debate. Also in my state the law requires that someone provide indentification to an officer if they are subject to an investigation, or driving a motor vehicle, and a few other circumstances.

While it is true that the a person not driving does not have to provide a drivers license it is also true that an officer has the right to detain a person to verify their identity and someone providing their identity only verbally and refusing to provide their physical ID that they have on them would certainly raise a question to any officer or any reasonable person for that matter that may not be their true identity. The officer would be justified in detaining the person to verify identity, the simply solution to which would be to fork over that license of course. This is only the case if the person is a suspect, material witness, etc in some sort of investigation (from a traffic offense to murder).

I am unclear on which happened first, the officer asked for the license or Mr. Righli was determined to have committed no crime, it is posted both ways, Mr. Righli words seem to say that the license issue came first and then the bags and receipts were inspected and he was cleared of wrong doing. At the point where Mr. Righli is no longer a suspect his requirement to satisfy the officer on his identity is gone. That is a key question here to me. If it was me and I asked for ID first, while he was still a suspect, and he refused I would have explained to him that he would be detained until I was satisfied of his true identity. If and when I cleared him of any wrongdoing he would have been sent on his way (reluctantly because I would still have been concerned with why he possibly might not want me to know his true identity).

As far as the Circuit City employees detaining him if they thougth he might be a shoplifter then I believe their actions, as I understand my states law, were justified although maybe not smart. However if they were just checking receipts randomly then maybe not, there is no case law that I am aware off that addresses exact to what extent they can detain and what level of suspicion they must have. I am very interested in seeing how this plays out.

I shop at Sam's Club once in a while and they check the receipts and carts of everyone leaving the store.

Wow this was still quite long but not as long as before. I agree with other posters that everyone played their part in the bad outcome of this situation. Sometimes things just go downhill fast. I know I have certainly been on calls where I start out thinking that a certain thing has happened and/or a certain person has done something and then it turns out completed different. However, I can only reach a conclusion after an investigation and Mr. Righli certainly did not help out with this investigation, whether right or wrong constitutionally, things would have probably gone much easier and faster if he just gave up the Id then they could have quickly moved on to finding that he did nothing wrong and determining why the employees thought he did, if they had any reasons at all.

No Rich, I cannot condone the officers actions. I think he exercised extremely poor judgement and handled the situation very poorly, along with everyone else in this incident. It may very well have been a POP (pissed off police) arrest, which under the circumstances with the charge the officer filed, will be extremely hard for him to justify.

As to Brown vs. Texas I guess it's a matter of interpretation because I again have to disagree with you. Brown's conviction under the Fail to Identify law was held unconstitutional, not the law it self. Our conclusions are the same, I think we're stating it differently. In Righi's situation, he did give the officer his name but not his address or date of birth, which in this case would be required or he could have been arrested under the Ohio "Stop and Indentify" law cited in his blog. He said he would have given the information if the officer asked him to. Unfortunately for the officer, he apparently wasn't familiar with this law either.

We know the officer used poor judgement, arrested Righi and charged him with an inappropriate charge. Was it "plain old-fashion abuse of state authority?" We don't know what the officers "intent" or reason for the arrest was. The key is when the receipt was provided to the officer, before or after the arrest. I know Righi said it was before his arrest. If it was in fact produced before the arrest and the officer got "pissed off" and made the arrest, you have a strong case for abuse of authority which would be hard to refute. However, if the receipt was obtained after the arrest and the officer made the arrest because he believed Righi had taken something from the store based on what the store personnel told him, Righi's refusal to show the receipt and provide sufficent identifying information, then the arrest itself was not unlawful, no matter how inappropriate the charge is. It doesn't mean the officer wasn't wrong and can't be held accountable for his actions, it just means the officer can't be held liable for any type of criminal misconduct (abuse). It doesn't rule out other civil remedies.

If you will remember from my original post I said, "I've been in law enforcement for 30 years and it's amazing to me how many people "know" the law when they really don't." This incident kind of proves my point. The Circuit City people were citing law they didn't know. Mr. Righi stated he was only required to give his name, which is wrong. Although he was right about not having to provide his driver's license. And lastly the police officer was apparently not as familiar with his state's laws as he should be. His bad. TJR, in one of your replies to my original post you said, "identifying yourself *AND* providing indentification are two differnt things." I beg to differ with you. They are exactly the same thing under the requirements of law. True, you do not have to carry some form of identification such as a driver's license unless you are engaged in some activity that requires it, such as driving. But, if while your walking down the street wih no identification card and an officer has a lawful reason to question you and askes for identification and you give him your full name and date of birth, you have just done both. You have identiied yourself and provided indentification all in one fell swoop.

This incident should have never happened. But it did. There is absolutely nothing wrong with anyone standing up for their rights. I would encourage everyone to do so and never be afraid to ask questions when they think something is not right. But I still think it was handled badly all parties involved. Just my two cents worth.

What I have found very interesting and enjoyable in all these posts is all the people expressing their differing opinions. While I don't feel like I've lost any of my liberties or had my constitutional rights violated or suffered a serious invasion of my priv

Ok I got some more time:)

I have been in the public safety field in one way or the other for 12years, the last 8 as a police officer and now Deputy Sheriff and like Mike H I find it very interesting to read all of the different opinions on here. I do not develop any animosity toward anyone for it as everyone interprets things different and has different opinions.

I like Mike also would not have felt my rights infringed upon in this circumstance really but it would have never got to this point with me anyway. In fact a couple years ago I was walking out of a Sears store when two security officers approached and asked to see my receipt and what was in my bag. I complied immediately and was free to go on my way in 30 seconds, case closed. However, I then entered into a discussion with the security guys and identified myself as a Deputy and was told that they rotate around from store to store and try to make a difference in what little time they have at each store. In my situation I had walked around the store for a while after purchasing my items looking for my wife, having not found her I decided to go wait out on a bench, very innocent actions. They had been watching on cameras and found my behavior a bit odd, rightly so in my opinion. No big deal to ME, but others, like Mr. Righi would have felt differently and that is fine.

I do agree that the officer in this situation probably did not handle the situation appropriately and I'm betting that looking back now that officer feels the same, even if he isn't verbalizing that. However I am very reluctant to Monday morning quarterback him, I wasn't there, I dont know exactly how it all went down. Could this have been a pissed off, power hungry cop? Sure. But I find it much more likely that the officer felt that he was doing his job based on his understanding of the law and the situation at hand, maybe he made a mistake.

My motto, passed on to me from a former lieutenant of mine who just passed away last month, is that a good cop upholds the law not by the book but based on the spirit of the law. In this particular case it seems as though the officer may have been a little too focused on what he atleast thought was the law on the books and maybe not what the spirit of that law is, that is what the law was designed for. If it were me (probably based only on what I know now) when/if Mr. Righi was cleared of any wrongdoing related to the Circuit City offense he should have been set free based on the "spirit" of the law but again I wasn't there and each officer and/or department does things different. Here we can "unarrest" people, someplaces you cant or if you do you will be ridiculed by your superiors and/or your prosecutors officer or worse civil rights people because they have you basically admiting that you no you were wrong.

Mr. Righi has every right to fight for what he believes and we will see how it all plays out.

Please dont try and bring up points about people you dont know or a job you just googled and typed what you read about.

NDSportTrac

I don't have to Google anything about the military. I have been in it for 20 years, and had many close friends in the Security Forces career field. My Step-brother also was a Security Policeman in the Army. My grandfather was in civilian law enforcement for 40 years, and also was the Jailer for his city towards the end. I had numerous friends in law enforcement in my home town as well, before I joined the military.

Yes, Security Forces personnel do some law enforcement duties, however I know that most in this career field are out in the trenches fighting the GWOT and supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom. There is not a huge demand for someone to enforce traffic laws, investigate murders, and take shoplifters into custody in the controlled environment of a military base.

The job done by security forces is difficult and dangerous. I never said it wasn't. I never stated that you aren't professionals, because I know you have a lot of training and are professionals. However, there is no longer a Security Police specialty in the USAF. This means you have a general knowledge of many areas and receive more in-depth training on the job. The Air Force decided they didn't need anyone in such a narrow specialty for a good reason -- we don't have a huge problem with crime in the Air Force.

This is not the same as someone in the civilian world who has gone through a police academy and has to deal with a much different environment in a city with gangs, drive-by shootings, prostitution and the like.

I did not disrespect you or Alan in any way. I simply stated a fact.

Latest posts