OT: Standing Up For What's Right - Against Circuit City and the local Police

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the shopper in question was trying to make a point. And the point is very valid.

The law of the land is that you do not have to identify yourself to the government unless you are reasonably suspected of a crime. You have a right to be secure in both your person and possessions, and your identity is part of those things. You have a right to be anonymous with respect to the government, to move freely without interference, unless government has a valid reason to believe you have commited a crime.

That brings us to the suspicision of a crime.

There is no law anywhere in the U.S. that says, when walking out of a retail store, after having (presumably) paid for one or more items, you must show proof of the transaction. Righi violated no law in refusing to do so. The store clerk's attempt to detain him by blocking his exit from the parking lot is an example of illegal arrest and imprisonment. This was the only crime commited.

The officer, upon arriving, can certainly ask for anything he feels he needs, but he is not entitled to it. Righi had no legal obligation to state his name or provide his license, because he was not reasonably suspected of a crime. He wasn't operating a motor vehicle, so the context for giving a drivers license isn't there. Even if he had been, the stop would have been an illegal search.

The officer has an obligation to act based on suspicion of a crime. He didn't. Had the store clerk said "I saw him shoplift an MP3 player," the officer would have had much more leeway. But in the absence of some piece of actual evidence (such as a witness statement) of a crime, the officer has ZERO business detaining or questioning anyone.

And, to prove the point about why it's important to nitpick this stuff and stand up for your rights: The officer's using the obstruction charge is a GROSS abuse of government power. "I have no suspicion of anything. I can't prove anything. I'm just pissed off that this guy is forcing me to respect his rights. Let me charge him with something."

And that, Alan Beaulieu, is why rights need to be guarded jealously. The founders of our nation stated quite clearly that power in the hands of government often becomes corrupted. And the b.s. obstruction charge is a microcosmic example of how sometimes, unfortunately, police abuse their power. It's common for the police to not even know the proper application of the law. And who can blame them? It's freakin' complicated! Sometimes the judges even apply the law incorrectly.

There are many fine police officers out there, doing a difficult, dangerous job and trying to do it well. The fact that it is difficult and/or dangerous does not release them from their obligation to respect the rights of citizens.

I don't see how it is illegal. If a police officer sees you carrying a handgun in public, which is a privilege NOT a right as many would have you think, then they can spot check your permit, identity, etc.

Depends on the location and circumstances. In some states, it is absolutely your right to carry a gun openly, and an agent of the state IS violating your rights by stopping you unless he or she has reasonable knowledge that you may have committed a crime.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rich,

Great post.

Yes, in "some" states a person may openly carry a gun without special permits...but I think those are few, aren't they?

My point is that gun ownership is a right, but it is a right that comes with restrictions and regulations; and as you say, they vary from location to location and state to state.

As far as your interpretation of this 'incident', you are spot-on.

TJR

Rich,

I agree, great post and explaination.

However, the original post is from a blog, not a legitimate news story, some facts must be missing. If the loss prevention department is following the customer out of the store and asking for a receipt the obvious inference is shoplifting. The blog does not state that as the allegation but why would the store call the police otherwise.

If we are to assume CC employees are alleging shoplifting then the cop asking for a drivers license is unrelated to the operation of the motor vehicle (which he wasn't anyway) but to ascertaining identification. Since we do not carry national ID cards (yet) this is the most common form of ID people carry.

But since we do not know all of the facts it is hard to judge what is right or wrong. I don't think we should stand for the government trampling our civil liberties but I would pick and choose my battles more carefully.

When I first read the post I suspected this had more to do with racial profiling and a customer getting fed up with getting hassled when he shops more so than someone consciously exerting the rights.

Thanks Rich, You put it in the words I couldnt. I was getting hot headed over it.

Alan, I do have alot of respect for law officers. I support many of their events and charities. I have a few in the family even.

I carry my gun with me almost every day in plain sight under "open-carry" in Georgia. I've been ask about it by cops, but never once ask to see my ID when I wasn't operating a motor vehicle.

Mostly cops at the gas station or work just ask what kind of gun it is or why I carry it. I have had a few friends harassed though.

TJR, being persnickety, the Constitution says "keep and bear arms." You can look up the word bear in any dictionary, and I think you'll find it generally means "carry on one's person."

We can get into 2nd Amendment, regulation, and court decisions discussion (don't think we need to, though). But I don't believe an American citizen bearing arms can be construed as a privilege in any context. While I accept that our society feels the strong need to (rightly or wrongly) legislate behavior in pursuit of social harmony, and that some regulation may be necessary, I defer to Thomas Jefferson, who wrote, "No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms."

Fkent, even if he had been suspected of an actual crime, in many states, he can still refuse to identify himself without criminal penalty for the refusal.

And, even if he is suspected of a crime and arrested, he has a 1st Amendment right to remain silent. That includes not giving your name. He has a right to legal counsel before answering ANY question, and he can still choose not to answer if he thinks it will incriminate him.

Some states do have misdimeanor statutes on the books that allow you to be be fined for not giving your name. But the Supreme Court has ruled that you are only in jeoplardy of guilt for such statutes if reasonably suspected of a crime. And such a statute can never supercede your basic civil rights. They can fine you, but they can't compel you to incriminate yourself.

Rich Stern NAILED this one!

Thanks Rich.

Maybe someday these sheople will wake up and realize the value of the freedoms and liberties that our fathers and grandfathers fought and died to defend. The liberals and political correctees are surely destroying our country and getting the sheople to voluntarily give up their rights.

Rich,

Your points are understood. I personally would rather show the receipt and be on my way instead of suffer the ordeal he went through (assuming the blog is even close to what really occurred)

There comes a point when you have to be practical. Refusing to show the receipt, refusing to show ID and once arrested refusing to identify yourself until you get a lawyer is a costly and time consuming endeavor.

Theoretical constitutional discussions are very interesting to me as is theoretical physics but I am not going to jump into a black hole just to make sure I get torn apart and prove Stephen Hawkins right.

Sounds like its not only has happen at CC, but also at BB. I've always wondered at only these 2 stores, they are the only ones to act like this... link below

When I worked in retail a long long time ago, we were told to be very sure that someone had stolen something before we stopped them or we could be sued for false imprisonment.

I agree, this is a case of "pick your battles". Depending on my mood, I'd probably play along but then again I might not. Most likely I'd play along, show them that I hadn't stolen anything, then call my lawyer/golfing partner when I got home and sue the bastards. That's being an even bigger prick. :D

When asked for ID when I'm not driving, like at the bank, I'll often give my concealed weapons permit instead of my driver's license just for kicks. Hey, it's got a photo. I haven't had the cojones (or the time) to try it at the airport yet. :cool:

Sorry, but he deserved it.

It may not have been right, but he deserved it. Don't act like a dick and you won't be treated like a dick. (Modern interpertation of The Golden Rule)

My opinion only, no flames.

FKent says:
If the loss prevention department is following the customer out of the store and asking for a receipt the obvious inference is shoplifting. The blog does not state that as the allegation but why would the store call the police otherwise

If you believe the blog, and there is no reason not to (or to for that matter, but still no reason not to either), then it was Righi who called the police, not the store.

Personally, I don't think Righi's story sounds fishy or that there are "pieces missing"...I can believe it happened as he blogged it.

P.S. Costco requires that you show your receipt and they visually inspect your cart on the way out of the store.

TJR

I had the good fortune to be in Boston this holiday weekend, and read something on the new Holocaust memorial the city erected near the harbor, just over the Big Dig site:

First they came for the Communists, but I was not a Communist, so I said nothing.

Then they came for the Social Democrats, but I was not a Social Democrat, so I did nothing.

Then came the trade unionists, but I was not a trade unionist.

And then they came for the Jews, but I was not a Jew, so I did little.

Then when they came for me, there was no one left to stand up for me.

--Rev. Martin Niemoller, 1945

This quote may be a little over the top, considering the circumstances of the incident in Ohio, but the point remains: When someone's civil rights are trampled, even in a trivial way, the worst thing we can do is accept it as a meaningless inconvenience. Even if we don't personally care to be hassled as Mr. Righi is now being hassled, I urge you not to undercut him. He is, in effect, speaking out on all of our behalfs, by saying "I do not accept arbitrary trampling of my civil liberties."

If the men who wrote the Constitution were alive today, I assure you they would all be willing to stand up for Mr. Righi in this case. What he experienced is exactly what they did not want Americans to have to live with or submit to.

Alan and NDSportTrac,

Don't try to to equate your experiences as Security Forces with being in Law Enforcement or being policemen. The rules are very different in the civilian world.

In reality, much of the Air Force Security Forces work has little if anything related to Law Enforcement. Yes, you are required to know a bit about the UCMJ, but since the merger of the Law Enforcement, Security Police and the Military Working Dog career fields, most of the emphasis in training you guys has been focused on Air Base Ground Defense, Force Protection, etc.

Your job is very important to the military and I respect what you do, but wearing a badge and driving a car that looks like a policeman's doesn't make you one.

Another case of a police officer overstepping his/her authority.

That is the problem with people today.

One of my favorite quotes are from Benjamin Franklin.

Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security.

We allow Police to essentially harass us for any reason, all in the name of security, we deserve neither.

Fight the good fight.

Tom

Rich,

Here is another memorial, which I visited last month in Auschwitz-Birkenau. 1.5 Million were killed at this site.

[Broken External Image]:

Latest posts