~ NEW MOD - Functional Fender Vents

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D Potts

Reaction score
Well these are about as functional as I can get right now....More to come! *THIS IS ONLY TEMPORARY!

Here is teh process:

Take a Trim removal tool wrapped in a shop towel. Pry the Fender Vent from the middle top...then slowly slide the trim tool around the edge. There are two Clips at the top and two at the bottom that hold this piece on (along with some 2-sided tape)

BE VERY CAREFULL TO NOT BREAK THE CLIPS!!!!!

I then took a pair of pliers and snapped off the fake grill from the inside of the vent housing.

Replaced that with a GUTTER GRILL found at home depot for $1.39.

Cut the gutter grill with a pair of tin snips in all the locations of the clips. press it on tight!

There are a few pieces of Tape covering some holes within the fender...remove those. This will allow more air to flow from the engine! (Thus cooling the engine bay a little more)

Re-apply some double sided tape to the vent and replace it into your fender.

BE SURE to throw on some black paint on the passenger side Antenna (Orange wire).

All done. AGAIN, this is only temporary till I get what I REALLY want done! Stay Tuned!!!

PICS:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't hook them up, Make sure the rain water can run out and drain so it does not rot the fender from the inside out...

Looks good...

Todd Z

There is a Huge gap inside the fender where the Wheel well plastic attaches just for that reason. To let the water drain. Its like FOrd built all this in ....and then at the last min decided to not make them functional!

I will be looking into cutting the inside of the fender out, making a passage from the engine bay. But that is gonna take some more research and development!!! Its kinda hard cutting on a $34k truck, not knowing how it will turn out!! As it sits now there are 4 holes drilled into the fender/engine bay...ford did this and its stock that way. This does allow SOME Hot air to escape from the engine bay!

I am working on a way to use the stock plastic grill....just need to make it free flowing. I have an idea and I will try to have it doen by the ens of the weekend. I'll post pics and keep you informed!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good work and pics . I thought of drilling out the the vents until I discovered that the outside hole is way off the engine compartment to do any good to exhaust the engine heat from under the hood . althought your pics are giving me ideas...

I just looked at your vents again.

I'm taking back what I said about them looking great.

They look AWESOME! Now I need to figure out a way to do the same to my '02. :lol:

ok, i dont thing i have see anyone install a set of these on there gen 1 trac, anybody know? i would love to be the first but i cant cut a hole in my fender right now.

I don't think these are drop in on the gen 1 due to the curve of the 07 fender......

But there are vents out there that will cut and fit....

There are also the stick on ones....

Todd Z

Latest posts