My Job2 w/Chrome Package has arrived!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We pass durability wheels (i.e. chrome) all the time, TRUCK wheels, plastic or no. That's the TRUTH, dawg. Wish I could take you to the proving grounds.

Reality - opinion, take yer pick.

No doubt it passes whatever limitations you set because you set the stop points, Homie, but reality dictates those are disposable in 5 years of real world service.

Send some of those hubcaps down to the proving grounds at Laque Corrosion Research Center in Wrightsville Beach, NC, for say, 6 months and see what condition they come back in.

Fact or Fiction, you decide.

Both of you guys make really good points. This is the first set of chrome plastic that I have ever owned so we'll see how they hold up. As soon as I start seeing noticeable discoloration, fading, cracking or whatever i'll be at the dealership getting warranty replacements (at least for the first 36K anyway).

Look at the history of chrome F150 wheels. THAT'S FACT, not some fiction from some makeshift mom'n'pop "research center" dollar shop what have you.

Just take extra care with them and they should be OK for awhile, in fact before you get your tires rotated I would take them off, and put them back on after rotation yourself to make sure they don't get thrown around and beat on.

Nice truck, Nice color.....Enjoy

R,

Ford has blown so much smoke up your ass your actually believing your own diatribe...

Can't blame you for taking up for your company you work for, I do the same thing, but save your salesman dribble for gullible lemmings that will believe it.

Let it go Homie....

F150 vs. chops.

Fair and balanced. You decide.

End of discussion, SIR.

(You brought it first, I would personally not resort to namecalling and expletives, but I guess customers are entitled to their random musings and OPINIONS.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Chrome on plastic always cracks or starts delaminating after a few years, no matter what you try to do to protect it. Of course, the very thin layers that they now put on steel or alloys don't hold up nearly as well as the chrome of the 60s and 70s--that stuff could be polished and buffed forever and not be worn through.

Still, the best bet for chrome is on metal, and keep a good coat of wax on it for protection from the elements.

There's always danger when speaking in generalities, Chops. It's like saying "all Presidents are bad...and "cheap". Not all plastics are the same, in fact there are some that equal durability of some steel/alloy (without the corrosion issues).

The chrome-clad wheels that a number of Ford programs are implementing perform significantly better against corrosion , than the chrome plated alloy wheels. The backbone wheel, which the chrome claddings are adhered / attached to meet / exceed the severe wheel durability Ford requires. The Ford durability requirements, far exceed the requirements that the aftermarket wheels are required to meet. Much like an alloy wheel, chrome plated or painted, if the wheel is impacted by a strike through (i.e. pothole), the chrome plated of painted alloy wheel may exhibit a deflection. Much like the chrome-clad wheels, a severe strike-through the backbone wheel and cladding may show deflection. Both types of wheels, chrome-clad and chrome plated are required to meet / exceed the wheel durability requirements.

Chops, you can call me a liar, or whatever allegations you ever want to make, you're just not completely learned and educated on the issue. (Notice, I don't use the term "ignorant" b/c no one would intentionally desire to be so.) I'm not the kinda guy to be going around calling complete strangers liars and smokers b/c I have respect for people, but you sir are a prime example of NO CLASS. Rather than being a source of information, you've proven to be a source of confusion. And THAT is what hurts everyone in the end.

Go back to ur mom'n'pop shop.

R,

Tried to send you a private email.

It came back :

<[email protected]>:

Remote host said: 550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable

Giving up on 65.54.244.168.

I guess you have a pseudo account. How about sending me an email? My account is good.

It's OK, R,

really,

I'll be gentle, I promise.

Please don't be scared.

Just want to settle a miscommunication, offline.

:)If not now, some other time?:)

i am trying to order ST LTD V8 with chrome option

QUESTION?? WINDOW STICKER SHOWS 795 PRICE

BUT THEN UNDER THAT SHOW "BLACK CROSSBARS/CHROME RAIL

FOR ANOTHER $590 - IS THIS RIGHT

Does that mean the Chrome Option is $1385 ??

HOLY SXXX - Think I might have to opt out of the option

thanks

bill in decatur ga

Bill, I don't think that's right in regards to the extra charge for the crossbars/chrome rails. I don't have my invoice or window sticker with me so I can't confirm why it's listed as so. My suggestion would be to have your dealer enter your order requirements into the computer and review the invoice print out that it gives. He can do that without actually placing the order.

wrong post

Latest posts