Missing Boy in the N.C. Mountains Found Alive.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Palmer

Reaction score
CNN is breaking the story now.

Bottom line, he was found alive and in good shape. They say he is home with his family already..

Always nice to hear some good news...

Extremely good news! But he has not yet been reunitied with his family.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Thay is good news..The boy scouts is a great org.. My 12 yr old nephew was a problem kid. My brother got him involved, a few years ago and himself also. That kid is like a new boy..:D

Anyone else find this a little fishy? His favorite book was about a boy that survived in the woods. He wanted to sleep in at camp instead of participate with his troop. He walked off and happened to bring his mess kit and food. He was found within 2 miles of his camp and you know the helicopters/searchers scoured the 5 mile radius.

Just odd to me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he was found alive, but I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out that this kid was purposely hiding. I would surely hope not though. A lot of $$ went from taxpayers pockets to this search. He was found alive, so it was well used, I hope.

Regardless, the searchers did an amazing job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jenn, although I have not read all the data out there just yet. It does sound a bit fishy. His father commented that it was his favorite book and he was sure glad he read it.

No matter the case, glad he is safe. But I sure hope it was a legitimate "missing child" issue over him doing what he planned on doing or something like that.

Glad he is safe. I too find it odd. Did I read it right he left his medicine at home and left his jacket at the camp? I went over the story really quick. His parents didn't check to see he had his ADD medicine?

I'm glad to see he was found alive. I followed the story of the little boy that was missing in S. GA (I live about 40 miles away) last week and later found dead, really didn't want to see another kid found dead. It breaks my heart to see things like that.

In the evening news, the boy ststed that he was going home. He was upset because some of his special friends didnt show up...

Fast Eddie, That's what I heard this AM.

The boy's father said he was trying to head to the road to hitch a ride home because he was homesick.

Which might explain why he had provisions and probably didn't respond to those trying to find him a few minutes after he determined missing. In all probability, at that time, he was still within shouting distance, but ignored them...because he was going home.

TJR

Being an Eagle Scout with 3 years of Summer Camp Staff behind me, I'm glad to see that the boy made it and that *hopefully* some of the experiences in the Boy Scouts helped him survive.

One thing's forsure... he's earned his Wilderness Survival Merit Badge.

To me, and I'm obviously biased, Boy Scouts are a life saver for so many people (not just getting lost in the woods but keeping kids heads on straight) that I would love to see more boys and young men involved.

It's one of the few places that I wouldn't think twice about sending my kids off with another adult for a week and not worry about their "purity" if you know what I mean.

God Bless this family. Now hopefully they keep their heads on straight from here on out.

R Shek, I'm going to react to your "wouldn't think twice about sending my kids off with another adult for a week" comment and a few others.

IMHO, the kid earned nothing and the leaders dropped the ball. If the kid was special needs (some here have claimed that), wasn't included in the reindeer games (he stayed back at camp and didn't hike...introvert maybe?), and no one sensed him being homesick and literally a flight risk, then a lot of things went wrong.

BSA is a great institution, but like so many large organizations they are only as good as the local chapters, packs, troops, etc.

I have two boys in BSA now and was a Cub/Webelo leader myself for 8 years and a Boy Scout and Cub Scout myself when young.

When Scouting works it is everything you say, and the overwhelming majority of the time it works.

But there are some bad experiences and disasters waiting to happen in scoutings with certain troops. Parents have to be involved and make sure their kids are in the right pack and troop, one that fits with them, especially if their kids have special needs. Parent SHOULD think twice, at least at first, when selecting a pack or a troop.

Also, I'm not sure I understand what you meant by: "not worry about their 'purity' if you know what I mean."

We have a Court of Honor tonight, BTW.

TJR

"not worry about their 'purity"

I know what he means. The BSA do not allow Gays to participate. Though it has been studied that Gays are no more likely to be a pedophile than someone straight and in some studies, straight men are more likely to "play with kids" than a Gay man is.

Too bad so many people have that "since someone is gay, they must be a pervert" idea's.

Tom

BigBear.

Ok, I'll touch this one.

I agree with the "In A Perfect World" thought process that I think that Tom is trying to convey.

And, if it was that way and I KNEW there were no concerns or issues as far a an openly gay man sleeping in the tent with my son then I could sit home comfortably and say. "It's all good, he fine and having fun etc etc etc".

That said, we will never know those types of things for sure. And, I would be lying if I said I would have serious reservations if I thought for one second the pack leader was gay and he would be sharing the tent with the children, mime or any for that matter.

Is it right to think that way? Probably not, but the the reality is, it is how I would feel.

I have no personal issues with gay people, male or otherwise. In the field I work in, I come across them in most cases several times a day. I have been hit on by several gay men, once again due to the field I work in. I simply tell them that I am married and I am happy with my marriage as it is. They understand and do not get all defensive. I have seen others tell them nasty comments and to get the "F" away from them. This only creates hostilities and problems on down the line sine we work with them 5 days a week, 2 to 4 times a day.

But like you, bottom line, not only would I be uncomfortable, I am pretty sure my child would not be at that camping trip.

I think he decided he didn't want to be accused of being a homophobe all day long. I don't blame him.

BTW, CoastieJoe....since when did men of any age sleep with boys in tents at Cub scouts or Boy Scouts?

In all my years the men and the boys always slept in seperate tents.

TJR

Fred, gotcha.

I find the term “homophobe” offensive and really not helping the gay agenda. I think it does just the opposite of what it intends. I assume it is intended to be a label that defines those given it as having a mental defect...a phobia, and is also considered to imply ignorant, hate filled intolerance.

The gay and lesbian population would do better to recognize that for many, homosexuality is a morality issue. Morality and social norms are defined by society and change over time. Vilifying those that are slower to change with the times, or think along the lines of the majority and not with the shifting minority no doubt sounds a rallying call, and forces many in that majority to "dig in their heals" and to be vocal about making sure things don't change.

Understanding the attitudes of both sides is better than vilifying each other, IMHO. Telling people that they are wrong for feeling the way they do doesn’t really institute change.

TJR

Latest posts