Looks Like The Laws of Supply and Demand Are Working

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom

trusting people is the foundation of a happy fullfilled life.

99% of all people are honest, maybe you have just run with alot of bad apples.

Tom

Never even close the doors in summer except for the screen doors, never lock the cars.

In all fairness i live in a gated community with a gaurd house manned 24/7, only one way in, one way out.

Caymen said:
Don't you see the sign. The best companies are not unionized. Why? Because the good companies don't treat thier employees like crap therefore there is no need. If those companies treated thier empoyees like crap, they would be union and not on the list.

Just trying to dispel this notion that without unions employers would and do mistreat their employees.

Now it is more clear that only some, bad employers would mistreat their employees if it weren't for unions.

My question remains: Why would anyone WANT to work for such employers and companies?

TJR

Roger

You grew up in the same hood my wife did, back in the day am certain you can understand what i said above, sad those times are gone.

Is nice to not have to secure the perimeter at nite, nice to sleep with the doors open

times have changed.

Caymen,

It sounds like these people that have "no other choice" would be competing with illegals for jobs (as Rodger says) if employers were able to exploit their workers without unions.

I find it so, so hard to believe that there are people in this country that truly have no other choice, and they are in a position in their lives that they HAVE to take jobs from the worst of the worst employers that aren't even fit to hire illegal aliens.

And, even if that is true...doesn't that say something about the people that "have no other choice?"

Frankly, I think that when someone finds themselves in a situation in which they have very few choices, it's often because of the BAD CHOICES they made prior.

TJR

We have been on a 9/80 work schedule for several years. The company is split up into three "teams", A, B & C. The schedule goes something like this: the A team works nine hours per day, Monday through Thursday of the first week and eight ours on Friday while the B team works four nine hour days and they are off on Friday. During the second week, they switch with the A team working four nine hour days and the B team working four nines and one eight. The pattern repeats every two weeks. This way each team works 80 hours every two weeks and they have off alternating Fridays. If you are non-exempt and you work on your Friday off, you are eligible for time-and-half OT. If a holiday falls on your Friday off, you can take either the preceding Thursday or the following Monday as your 9/80 day off. For example, this year the 4th of July fell on my Friday off so I took Monday off giving me a four day weekend. Yesterday was again my Friday off. ;)

The C team works normal eight hour days, five days per week. Obviously, not many people prefer the C team option.

With the company split this way there is always at least half the company working on Fridays. Our customers would not likely appreciate a lack of support on Fridays.

It's great system and I am surprised more companies have not adopted it.

I find it so, so hard to believe that there are people in this country that truly have no other choice, and they are in a position in their lives that they HAVE to take jobs from the worst of the worst employers that aren't even fit to hire illegal aliens.

Continue to stick your fingers in your ears singing "La La La" over and over.

be it a career choice that was made in the past, a choice made to stay with one company because of something else, a community you are unabloe to leave, or many other reasons are why people continue to work at places.

The good employers keep unions away. The bad employers become good employers because they have security guards (the union) in place to make sure everyone plays fair.

What is wrong with that?

Tom

p.s. take your fingers out of your ears. Until you have dealt with the manufacturing field for many years, you can never truly understand. Working for a summer as a helper is not the same. please do not insult me with the old spew you throw out of your mouth.

Never Tom, no need to, when you got 40 ,70 yr olds looking out the windows all day, because they have nothing to do, you have protection.

other night I get a call about 10ish, your garage door is open, thx

Bill,

When you leave your lockdown complex to buy food, clothing, or anything else, do you lock your doors?

Tom

You can conserve all you want...China and India will buy up the slack. Prices are high based on futures speculation. Short term solution drill domestically. Long term... alternate fuels, nuclear, wind ,solar and battery technology. Right now we give billions to countries that hate our guts. Not a very good foreign policy if you ask me.

Good for you.

I lock my doors all the time. I lock my car door, I lock my house door, I lock all doors.

Why? Because I do not trust many people. Too many crooks out there.

Tom

I had to deal with union workers back when I was working the airport bagroom systems...both the electrical and milwright unions.....every installation was a PITA and on one job, we had to fire the entire group in order to get the system up and running ontime.

For an 8 hr shift, we prob got about 5 hrs of work out of them for the amount of time they went on breaks and lunch and how long it took them to come back each break.

While working a job at the DFW airport, an 'electrician' told me he never even stripped wire before and that he was a carpet layer before this job. WTF I responded and said "So, you just show up at the union hall and say you want to be an electrician" and he responded, "yeah, sort of".

I don't think unions today are what they were years ago....seems now they just want to get paid more to do less and if someone in the 'club' doesn't like something, they go on strike.

While working a job at the DFW airport, an 'electrician' told me he never even stripped wire before and that he was a carpet layer before this job. WTF I responded and said "So, you just show up at the union hall and say you want to be an electrician" and he responded, "yeah, sort of".

Then he was not an electrician, he was earning while he was learning.

Either that or you made that story up. Skilled trades like plumbers and electricians have an apprentice program. You do not walk off the street and say "I want to be an electrician" and walk away with a piece of paper that says you are.

Tom

Latest posts