Looks Like The Laws of Supply and Demand Are Working

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainTrac

Reaction score
I wasn't sure if this should be in the "Fuels" or "Oils" category, so I just threw it into "Off-Topic".

It finally appears that the market is responding to the economic laws of supply and demand. Just like it should. As both individual consumers and businesses all over the country have been taking steps to reduce fuel consumption, prices have fallen for the third straight day. And all this has gone on without any gov't intervention... Amazing.

Oil tumbles for 3rd day following natural gas

Jul 17 01:54 PM US/Eastern

By ADAM SCHRECK

AP Business Writer

NEW YORK (AP) - Oil prices fell sharply Thursday following two days of declines, dragged down further by a massive sell-off of natural gas.

The slide accelerated amid growing concerns about the weakening U.S. economy.

Light, sweet crude for August delivery was down $4.08 at $130.52 a barrel before midday on the New York Mercantile Exchange. Prices have fallen about $14 in just the past three days.

"This market is acting much different than it has during this entire bull run," said James Cordier, president of Tampa, Fla.-based trading firms Liberty Trading Group and OptionSellers.com. "I think it's because the fundamentals are finally turning from extremely bullish to slightly bearish. But slightly bearish is enough to tip the market."

Natural gas futures for August delivery fell as much as 8.2 percent in the day, the biggest one-day drop in nearly a year. Natural gas fell 13.8 percent on Aug. 20, 2007, according to Nathan Golz, researcher at Wachovia Securities in St. Louis.

Prices for the key heating, cooking and power generation fuel have tumbled more than 20 percent since their peak before the Fourth of July, and are now trading at their lowest point since April.

The Energy Department's Energy Information Administration said in its weekly report that natural gas inventories held in underground storage in the lower 48 states rose by 104 billion cubic feet to more 2.31 trillion cubic feet for the week ending July 11. That is despite the fact that supplies are 2.1 percent below the five-year average for this time of year.

Oil prices fell more than $10 over the previous two days on growing concerns that inflation and other economic concerns could reduce demand for crude. A surprisingly large gain in oil and refined fuel inventories in the U.S. prolonged the sell-off, because it suggested more supplies were heading into storage rather than consumers' fuel tanks.

The price for a barrel of oil briefly dipped below $130.

Reports of a pre-dawn explosion that damaged an oil pipeline in Nigeria's restive south—the sort of threat to supply that has helped fuel crude's recent rally—did little to prop up prices Thursday.

A Nigerian military official said the blast on a pipeline owned by Agip, a subsidiary of the Italian energy giant Eni SpA, "affected output," although he did not say by how much.

Col. Chris Musa, head of the Bayelsa State military, also did not say how severe the damage was, and declined to comment on what might have caused the explosion or whether it had resulted in any casualties.

The company said a sudden drop in pressure led it to halt production on pipelines carrying 47,000 gallons of oil a day.

Attacks on oil industry infrastructure in the past two years have slashed oil output by almost a quarter in Nigeria, Africa's top crude producer.

At the gas pump, prices held steady at a record $4.114 a gallon, according to auto club AAA, the Oil Price Information Service and Wright Express. Diesel rose to a new record of $4.845, up more than half a penny.

In other Nymex trade, heating oil fell 6.62 cents to $3.7748 a gallon, while gasoline futures gained slipped fell 9.92 cents to $3.1802.

Brent crude for September delivery fell 51 to $135.30 on the ICE Futu

I was just looking at this on a website I found that, with a 30 minute delay, tells you how the commodities are doing. I was going to wait to see what happens with it tomorrow, then I was gonna post up about it. Great minds, huh?

Here's the link to the site I found. Don't remember where I got it originally.

Keep conserving and the price of crude could go alot lower, as will the price of gas.

If gas gets back down to say 3 bux a gal, do not do the typical american knee jerk thing and start using more.

keep conserving and drive it lower.Than conserve even more.

The oil companies have all figured out how to raise prices permanently and keep usage high. Raise prices to astronomical levels until people start using less, then back off about halfway. $3.25 a gallon looks pretty good right now, but two years ago it would have horrified any of us! They'll drop prices back to make us feel better, and we'll start buying gas again just like before, but they're still higher than they used to be!

I never thought I would say this. I wonder if some things would be cheaper if they were nationalized?? Like the oil industry for starters..

I agree the only way to keep prices down is to use less. Here's something amazing. Did you know California uses more gas than China?

Bite your tongue, Eddie! Name one example of where gov't has controlled an industry and/or provided a good/service cheaper and more efficiently than the private sector.

If you need examples of how horrific this could be if the oil industry was nationalized, just take a look at either Amtrak or Social Security. Talk about a Charlie Foxtrot!

Two days is hardly a sign of prices coming down. Lets us see what happens in a week or a month.

Tom

Don't be so cynical, Tom. It's gotta start somewhere. You can help this process by calling your Congressman/Senators and tell them that you want them to support increased domestic exploration and production.

And sign the petition at the link below.

I agree with Tom, way too soon to tell if this is the beginning of a trend, or just a pause before continuing to climb...

Here's how to have everyone conserve -

4 day work week.

Utah government is going to it.

Ok, so on that off day you may use more but maybe not. You may pump more money into the economy (3 day weekends give you a lot of time to either travel or work on that honey do list - OR just sit around and drink beer).

I've seen this far to many times, go down for a couple of days and then BAMM, something totally crazy comes up, out of nowhere ofcourse, and it wipes those price drops out with another record price.

CHRIS

I agree with Tom.

If gas goes sub-$125, the investors will pour money into oil just as they have done. What you see now is profit-taking, not the effects of conservation. If someone bought in at, e.g., $75 barrel, it's a great time to pull profits.

Agree with Eddie to a point, has to be some regs put in place.

I honestly think green cars and people cutting back is having a possitive effect.

More people biking to work and using public transit is having a positive effect

more people slowing down and driving less is a positive effect.

SUV sales have tanked we do not need SUVs.

more people biking or walking two miles to the market or local pizza hut will be Positive, less fuel used, more calories burned, better health.

To a point I am glad americans are being pushed against the wall, we have had it to good for to long.

Is time to do something, and it will hurt,but you will get over it.

Train Trac, I will agree that quality control from the government could be a problem.

As far as biting my tongue, ouch it hurts..:lol:

Travis,

While the 4 day work week would save a person on gas, you CANNOT give away the 40 hour work-week our fathers and grandfathers fought for. Watch what you ask for...

Frank,

4 days a week at 10 hours a day equals 40 hours.

Honestly, I would prefer to work a 36 hour work week.

Tom

My company has us on a 4 day, 32 hr work week and plans to close down the plant one week per month. :(

Latest posts