Got a ticket today...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JeffC. I would write a letter to the department complaining about the officer's actions if you feel he was abusive. Some departments will address that letter by sticking it in the officer's file and using it for future raises or promotions. It just depends on the department.

Caymen you obviously have had some difficult times with police in your past. It's to bad and I hate bad cops as much as anybody but until you have experienced what they go through you would never understand it what it's like to be a cop. They have to deal with the absolute worst a--holes of our society every day and our courts are not doing their part to support them That drug dealer you claim they passed up? He probably was just thrown in jail the week before and is back out on the streets. Until we actually get tough on crime in this country, ie: lock them up for good and permanently get rid of the repeat offenders and really dangerous ones, then your going to have a frustrated police force.

He probably was just thrown in jail the week before and is back out on the streets.

You are correct. The real question is why was the drug dealer back out on the streets?

Does it have anything to do with the fact that if the police are instructed to nab speeders because they make the city money while the drug dealers don't?

I believe that is a concern. They have enough officers for nabbing speeders. They never have enough to catch shoplifters, drug dealers, or wife beaters.

Tom

My point was it becomes futile for a police officer to arrest someone just to see our courts turn him loose the next day, over and over. How many times does a criminal need to be arrested?

Kevin L. "have yet to personally meet a non-jaded police officer " Hello, my name is Bob T. good to meet you. You can now scratch that off your list. Have a good day.

Cayman "I pay thier wages" for 28 years I showed up on every call at anytime day or night. For the first 18 years I worked I never had a weekend or holiday scheduled off. Worked 60 to 70 hours a week and got paid by you for 40. If you figure the income tax I paid I actually paid my own wages for about a couple of months each year. But I still showed up anyway. Your welcome.

No one is happy about getting a violation and having to pay. No one should be treated disrespectfully in a situation as above. But, their are systems to take care of bad officers. As a supervisor I removed a lots of officers because of verified complaints. Time complaining is best spent writing and talking to those in charge.

Redfish,

In the line of work I am in, I pay my own wages for abouty 4 months. Whats your point?

Your attitude shows you are jaded. Kevin L is right. You lose.

Tom

I didn't see that response to my comment on jaded police, but in light of it, I should amend my comment, and say that by "personally meet", I mean encounter in a face to face situation.

Even guys training to be police officers that I have met are disturbingly jaded, and they haven't even started yet.

Redfish.

I agree with you, there are a few that ruin it for the majority. Having gone through the training, the police are there for your safety and to protect the city/state in which they live and work. The only people who I have ever heard of complaing about he police are the ones that did something illegal in the first place and are upset that they get caught. I was pissed when I got a speeding ticket, but ultimately it was my stupid fault and I deserved it.

Ticket quoata's are supposed to be illegal and unconstitutional, but it sounds like they are a reality and from what I've heard they are more like "target goals" than quota's. I think thats what some departments are calling them to get around the rule.

Even guys training to be police officers that I have met are disturbingly jaded, and they haven't even started yet.

You won't get any argument from me about that. The sad truth is that departments are really hurting for police officers and most have greatly lowered their standards to attract new officers, particularly minorities. You might as well get used to it. There's more criminals then police officers and nobody wants the crappy job any more.

Where's Robocop when we need him?

The sad truth is that departments are really hurting for police officers and most have greatly lowered their standards to attract new officers, particularly minorities.

Funny you mentioned it, he was a minority. He was older than dirt and had more white hair than my 82 year old grandpa with glasses like the bottom of coke bottles...

Like I said, I'm not going to fight the ticket because it will likely result in me losing and then paying court costs as well. I have not taken any driving class, so I will likely go that route. Do I have to show up on the court date to get driving class, or can I take it ahead of time and get it all worked out. As I said, the court date comes up during the Louisville meet...

In most places, you can call and tell them you have plans for the court date, and they'll move it back a week or two.

Perhaps I should bring a bunch of K40s to Louisville and do a "group buy" there.

On that note, I wonder how Jerica likes hers.

The way I did it was I called them ahead of time (or mailed them a slip of paper that the officer gave me) to let them know that I was taking defensive driving, and they gave you a certain deadline to take the class by. But it might be different where you are

Andy

In 28 years I never had one officer I met talk about a qouta. I worked in 9 different states and once out of the country. I probably worked closely with at least 30 different law enforcement agencies. However, officers were instructed to spend time in certain areas relating to traffic problems. I worked at one time on a high volume parkway. You could easily track violation notices vs accidents and fatalities. Deaths go up when violation notices were low, deaths went down when violation notices were high. It was pure and simple when I worked on the parkway, do your job and make some people unhappy or work accidents. We had officers that would write 2 tickets a month and some that would write 150, but no supervisor ever said write more or less. They did however, note accident numbers.

Whether there are "quotas" or not in effect is irrelevant to me. I do my best not to speed, and if I get caught speeding, I take my lumps. If I did it, I'm guilty. Period. I'm not too proud or arrogant to admit that. What cracks me up is that a couple of local officers have a bullseye on my truck. They know you can't get it on laser, so they take it as a challenge when they see me coming.

They know you can't get it on laser

Really? You have some kind of "stealth technology" going on there?

FWIW - I work for a State Police agency, so I've heard all of the "myths." I've also heard all the "bad cop tales." Yeah, there's a few bad apples in every profession. The point is, most cops are working to make the highways safer for everyone. Ya wanna drive fast? Take it to the racetrack or out in the dirt folks! Don't endanger me or my family with your on-highway antics.

Most people frustration is this. Cities complain about never having enough police officers. They can not hire enough.

Lets see why that is.

Are they unable to hire enough at the rate they want to pay? If that is the case, raise the pay rate. If you do not have enough cops to safely patrol the streets, protect my investment. Rid the streets of drug dealers and hookers. I used to get sick and tired of driving home seeing 10 cop cars on the side of the road doing a speed sting where one officer runs the LIDAR/RADAR gun and names off what cars to pull over while the officers wait for command to go get em. I then drive home and find two crack heads fighting in the middle of the strret. Call the cops and they have no officers available at the moment.

Would you rather have a guy going 10 over the limit or two people fighting in the middle of the street with kids around. What if one, or both, of those guys pulls out a gun.

Ironically enough, at the average price of a 10 MPH over the limit fine at $100.00, 8 cops can easily catch over 40 speeders an hour.

Profit for the city?

$4,000 per hour.

How about sobriety check-points at 4 in the afternoon? I could understand between the hours of 10 PM to 3 AM. 4 in the afternoon?

One recent one found one guy that blew UNDER the legal limit (In other words, one beer after work) of .08% out of 1000 cars stopped. They issued a citation to that guy. The officer said he was highly intoxicated and was unable to speak coherently. He took it to court and won. The camera showed NO imparement at all. H spoke in normal sentences.

I was glad to hear the outcome.

I was sad to hear it cost that man over $3,000 in legal fees. More money was lost in missed time from work. He will also have that on his record for the rest of his life.

He did not break the law. He was well within the legal limits. He had to pay to clear his name.

Does anyone see anything wrong with it?

Cops are like servers. They are only as good as the cook is. If the cook prepares the meal quickly, the server gets a nice tip. if the cook screws off, the server gets the shaft.

Cops are only as good as the boss that tells them what to do. Unfortunatly, too many cops do not care about the people that they are to serve and protect.

As I said before, that man was arrested for a DUI. He was not legally drunk. The officer said he was. He took it to court and won...rightly so!

It still does not change the fact that he had to spend money out of his own pocket to defend his name for a crime he did not commit.

I can not say this about anyone here, but it will take me 6 weeks to make $3,000. that is if I can save every penny. Figure in having to pay expenses and having $100.00/week left over per week in saings, that cost him over 6 months to regain those costs.

The man was not guilty of anything. He was following the law.

He paid the fine without doing the crime.

Put yourself it that man's shoes. how would you feel about it?

Personally, I would be angry.

Tom

p.s. because of the DUI (now called OVI) laws, he was not allowed the sue the city, state, feds, or the officer to recoup his losses.

Latest posts