Got a ticket today...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just out of curiosity, what can he walk out of the store with that is worth 2 grand?

A thousand items worth 2 bucks each, spread out over a long period of time.

Tom

PSP's (That problem has been solved as the case was fixed. It was broken but the company didn't deem it necessary to replace. They do now.) PS3's (same issue). Kodak digital cameras and memory cards, ones not in cases or under the cabinets, they run $180 each and he's picked up 4 of those. The company tells us not to change the display. Memory cards run $50 each, so he swipes 10 of those into his pants or jacket...little things running a few hundred dollars to a thousand dollars each time, but it all adds up. Basically my boss' boss is tying our hands because she's afraid of a law suit for wrongful arrest (no matter how much evidence we provide)...All I can do is watch, smile and tell them to have a nice f'n day.

There is a reason why LEOs are usually stern and abrupt. That reason is that they don't know who they are about to or are facing. People get nervous around the police. If the officer is downright stern it could get someone who is guilty of a serious crime to reveal some of his "tells" that could warrant further questioning. So next time you get pissed off at a cop for being "rude" think about how many cops catch drug runners, gun runners, murderers and rapists EVERYDAY by using that ONE tool.

Andy,

So everyone is guilty and deserves to be treated with disrespect? What happened to the Constitution? I was never impolite and I expect to receive the same courtesy I give them. If he ran my tag before he approached my vehicle, he would have seen someone with one ticket in almost 6 years of driving, no criminal record.

Oh, BTW, I had lawnmowers and yard parts in the bed, I doubt I looked like a hardened criminal.

Jeff,

A police officer has the right to beat you, treat you as a criminal, and consider you guilty on all charges.

If you go to court, the judge will address you as Mr. (last name here). He/She will treat you with respect.

Cops have too much power and those that let the power get to their heads should be removed from the force ASAP. Scumbag cops do nothing but continue to build mistrust.

I do not trust any police officer. I have been screwed too many times by dirty cops that are an embarrassment to the profession.

The latest one got life in jail for killing his unborn child. Cops should be better than that.

Tom

Jeff. There is a difference between being convicted and questioned. Is it not a police officer's job to capture and arrest criminals? It doesn't matter that you had lawn equipment in your bed and a clean driving record. For all he knew you'd decided to transport drugs or were on your way to murder someone or even that the lawn mowers WEREN'T stolen! Mowers are stolen all the time.

The Constitution is still in effect. A Cop's job is to arrest criminals and uphold the law. It's the JURIES job to try you.

Caymen, would you have as much distrust and disrespect for the officer or deputy who responds to your 911 call for an armed intruder in your home at 3am?

Imagine this country, your neighborhood without the local LE. Not a nice place, huh?

- Deputy Andy

Caymen, would you have as much distrust and disrespect for the officer or deputy who responds to your 911 call for an armed intruder in your home at 3am?

The armed intruder would only need the coroner to haul him away. I will take care of the intruder myself.

Andy, with all due respect, I have been falsely arrested, charged with felony willful flee of a police officer, not wearing a seatbelt (my car had automatic seat belts), driving with no headlights on, driving under the influence of drugs (at that time I got random drug tests for the FAA and DOT requirements and every time I was clean both before and after), and many other charges.

I had to take time off of work to fight these claims. The officer said my seatbelt was cut and that is why he charged me with not wearing a belt. Interesting, all the incriminating evidence they had against me showed that had to remove my seatbelt to get me out of the car.

I beat the case, but it is still on my permanent record. The line of work I do does not allow me to get into trouble of any kind. I can lose my job if I get convicted of a crime. Not just a felony..any crime. DUI, Stop sign, speeding, etc. I can be fired for it.

Can I really trust a cop?

I got arrested for being out past curfew. I was 18. I was puller over at 10:50 PM one block from my house because I was driving in a "drug infested" neighborhood. He let me sit. When it turned 11 PM, curfew time, he wrote me a citation for being out past curfew. Mind you, I could have walked him in less than 3 minutes, but since the officer held me until after 11 PM, I had to fight a ticket.

Should I trust police officers? If you were in my shoes, would you trust police officers?

If that is what the law is, I will take my chance with the bad guys.

Tom

I can't justify what other officers have done. I, obviously, wasn't there. However, if that's how you want to live life go right ahead. You'll be fine until you break the law - the fine men and women who wear the blue will be there. And even though you hate the police so much, they'll not hesitate to respond to your calls for help in the dangers of the dark night.

- Deputy Andy

The Constitution is still in effect. A Cop's job is to arrest criminals and uphold the law. It's the JURIES job to try you.

Terry v. Ohio & reasonable suspicion for weapons. Illinois v. Gates & probable cause for arrest. Yadda yadda.

The Constitution does not begin with the trial. Theoretically it begins with the police officer, but in reality it begins with the district justice/magistrate/magisterial judge/etc.

In unrelated news, in less than one month, I'll have that fancy piece of paper that enables me to say more on the above. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff C, You indicate that the cop disrespected you. Other than the supposed "laugh" when he handed you the ticket, I don't see the disrespect.

Frankly, I would have appreciated that he told you what you did and why he stopped you and that you are going to get a ticket than the "cat and mouse" tactic of "do you know why I stopped you?", then the "silence" as he goes back to his patrol car and you wondering what's up the whole time. That more common MO may be what you wanted, but the lack of that isn't disrespect in my opinion.

The laugh was over the line, I guess.

The rest of your rant is pretty pointless, IMHO, for reasons I already said. We can wish police would not target us and instead others committing more grievous crimes; but we can't really control that. As I said, we can control which crimes we choose to commit, though.

TJR

And even though you hate the police so much, they'll not hesitate to respond to your calls for help in the dangers of the dark night.

I would hope so. I pay thier wages. They better respond.

I have one question for you.

How many times will you let a dog bite you before you say you want nothing to do with a dog? Not all dogs will bite, I know this. But of all the times you were bitten, everytime it was by a dog.

Would you agree that your feelings are justified?

Tom

Like I said, I had my cruise control set and was going down a hill. I guess there's nothing better to do on a slow Sunday afternoon than raise revenue for the city.

Oh, our store was hit by the same guy again yesterday, and again, the police took 15min to get there...guess there's no revenue for the city for arresting criminals...

For all he knew you'd decided to transport drugs or were on your way to murder someone or even that the lawn mowers WEREN'T stolen! Mowers are stolen all the time.

So everyone being stopped for speeding should be treated like they're carrying drugs on their way to murder people? Howabout I wasn't paying attention to my surroundings and didn't see him sitting in the ditch until I was right up on him. The rant was more about the system that allows him to sit there and get paid for doing his "job" but when I call him to do his job he takes his sweet time getting there...

Oh, our store was hit by the same guy again yesterday, and again, the police took 15min to get there...guess there's no revenue for the city for arresting criminals...

Actually there isn't. Beating a criminal case is easier than beating a traffic ticket.

I have watched the cops drive past an active drug deal, but pull a guy over for doing a rooling stop.

I know rolling through a stop sign is bad. I do not consider it as bad as selling drugs with kids around.

Tom

Caymen said:
How many times will you let a dog bite you before you say you want nothing to do with a dog? Not all dogs will bite, I know this. But of all the times you were bitten, everytime it was by a dog.

So no one should like dogs by your logic as many people are bit by them and some are bad. You seem to be saying we shouldn't like or trust any dogs because it is dogs that bite...including that dog you cried for on this website when it died a year or so ago.

TJR

TJR, that is what you read. I am a dog owner. I have never been bitten by a dog.

I have gotten screwed by police more than once. Every time I got screwed, it was by a police officer.

This conversation has nothing to do with you, so butt out.

Tom

Caymen, I missed you being added as a moderator. Feel free to remove my posts if they are offensive to you. I've been stopped by cops many times and never been screwed over, persay. I've been bitten by a dog too. In each of these situations my actions caused the results.

Maybe the common denominator in you getting screwed over by police isn't the police.

TJR

Jeff, I do understand that you are not complaining. You always say if you do something you expect to pay the penalty.

There is NEVER a cop around when YOU need one That is always the case for anyone

Sounds like the State police in your area needs to be investigated.

the law is now: You have no rights,, and are guilty until proven innocent.

But the cops are never around...so

so if they are busy....an investigation would have to prove when adn where cops were at specific times of crimes. Cops have to call in and out to state where they are. But in small towns it might be a different ball game.

Sucks doesn't it???

about speeding tickets:

You DO have the right to view the read out of the radar device he used and have it printed out for you. and YOU DO have the right to inquire when the last time his radar equiptment was calibrated.

If it has been more than 6 mos....since that was done, that is reasonable doubt and not factual proof of anything.. And if he clocked you at 8o something and his radar says 72, if his radar gun had not been calibrated with in 6 mos (and believe me it's possible it hasn't) you could beat the ticket all together.

The thing is you have to have that investigated. (if you wanted to which I know you stated you were speeding)

There have been reports of some cops in some areas that use a certain radar device without the help of another device that is needed to be accurate ....Actually, folks in PA probaly know of this...as it was in the news paper just last week that Pittsburgh cops that used a certain device, and forced people to pay tickets ...now have to go back thru records (court was notified) and all of those people where this specific device was used ALL HAVE TO BE REFUNDED.

GM said:
But for what your real question is whether it's right that a cop can just hand you a ticket with out advising of why he pulled you over... the answer is (sarcastically) YES...

You seemed to miss the part where JeffC said the cop started the conversation by telling him exactly why he pulled him over and that he was going to get a ticket. I find that actually refreshing.

To review, JeffC said:
When the officer walked up, he said "The reason I pulled you over today is to give you a ticket for speeding. License and insurance please."

GM, you also said:
There have been reports of some cops in some areas that use a certain radar device without the help of another device that is needed to be accurate ....Actually, folks in PA probaly know of this...as it was in the news paper just last week that Pittsburgh cops that used a certain device, and forced people to pay tickets ...

Do you mean "Pittsburgh area" state police? I ask, because I thought it was a state-wide law that only state police can use radar. All local law enforcement uses other means???

Correct me if I am wrong on that one please.

TJR

Latest posts