Got a ticket today...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff C

Reaction score
No crying or complaining about the ticket, I was speeding, 72 in a 55 (he said he clocked me at 82 but it only registered 72) but my speedometer was never above 70 (cruise control, going down a hill). When the officer walked up, he said "The reason I pulled you over today is to give you a ticket for speeding. License and insurance please." (registration is on the temp tag which i have no doubt he ran to check)

He never asked me if I knew why he pulled me over, and I was nothing but polite, yes sir, no sir, etc. And he was a jerk telling me how dangerous my driving was and how people like me kill innocent drivers every day (there were 4 other cars, 2 ahead of me, 2 behind me, he cut off 2 other speeding cars to pull me over) Didn't say a word about my tint, exhaust, clear corners, or stereo. Went to his car, came back with a ticket AND he gave me a photocopy of the list of fines (is this normal?) which says to me that all it's for is money. He said "here's a copy of the fine amounts so you know how much you'll have to pay" and laughed.

Yeah, I'm mad about the ticket, but $100, big deal. I'm more mad about the countless other drivers I observed today on my drive back from my parents house: one guy cut me off on the high way (I was doing 60, he turned into the far lane of traffic on a red light from a side road and caused me to engage my ABS, horn, and middle finger). On the same stretch of road about 10min later 4 Hispanics on dirt bikes were riding 4 across the highway, slowing to 30mph, then speeding off, then slowing, then speeding off. After I sat on the horn and revved the engine, they moved over into the right lane. All 4 starred me down as we passed, and one swerved his bike towards my truck (I didn't swerve b/c frankly I wasn't concerned about my 4200lb truck against his 200lb dirt bike). I called the highway patrol and they told me all units were busy at the moment, though I passed one about 5min later sitting on the side of the road with his radar out.

It's just frustrating that the people who are supposed to protect us are more concerned about making money than they are about actual protection. Rant over...

A local cop here told me that they have what they call a "productivity program." If he doesn't write enough tickets, he gets in deep dookie-crap.

yep, one told me the same thing dingo. but jeff, how did you get your trac down to 4200lbs mine says 5200lbs im pretty sure?

did you do anything to lighten it up or is the door sticker just off. i heard somewhere that 13lbs equals 1 horsepower

Last edited by a moderator:
Johnny, he said I was doing 82, but the gun only registered 72 (BS!) and under "25 over" is the same price and number of points...

The cop is a liar. How can he say you were going 82, but the gun only registered 72...yea right.

The cop needs fired.

Tom

Here's a few from the list:

Wrong side of the road $122

Failure to yield right of way $112

Improper lights $112

Improper muffler $112

Littering $100

Obedience to police officer $102 (Yes, it says "obedience")

Failure to wear seatbelt $10

Open container $25

Yeah, it's clearly for MY safety that I not speed, it'd be cheaper to drive with a beer and no seatbelt...

I was working on Opelika.

on our way back to the hotel, we drove through a sobriety check-point. It was at 10 AM. We asked the officer if he was aware it was 10 AM and there was a better chance to find a drunk if it later in the evening.

He looked at us and said "This is Alabama".

Tom

TJR, I'm not complaining about the ticket. I'm complaining about the officer's conduct, as well as the system..he needs to be out stopping real crime, instead of getting speeders.

About every other day at work I'm making police reports in Opelika for shoplifting (talking $500-$1000, not the petty stuff). The most recent one, I got the subject's license plate, vin number, description of the car, picture of the subject, and video if the subject stealing. He's been in the store numerous times with a running total of over $2000, and the police never show up on time b/c they're "busy" even though the courthouse and police department are across the street (1/4 mile away).

What TJR is saying is that if an officer says you did it, you are guilty on the spot.

It does not mean that if the officer lies, does not used properly calibrated equipment, or chose to target those of color gives you a right to fight the ticket.

If the officer says you did it, you are guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

End of discussion.

You did the crime, you must pay the fine (or do the time).

Tom

Jeff C,

I feel for you, but be careful what you wish for. Everyone would rather police, govt, or any beauracracy for that matter deal with the most important/troubling issues/crimes, whatever. But who gets to decide which to pursue? For every "real crime" that you think is worse than your crime, others would disagree. The speeder that is not caught because a police officer is stopping a drug deal could be the speeder that kills some innocent family in an accident.

You and I don't get to pick the "real crimes" that police enforce. But we do get to pick which ones we choose to commit.

TJR

Wait, you let your store get robbed multiple times by the same guy?

Sorry, not robbed, but shoplifted?!?

I doubt that alabama is a nanny state, but even if it has nanny legislature, when the guy came back the second time, shouldn't you be administering some of your own "vigilante" justice?

Kevin,

Believe me, it frustrates me a lot. But he uses a knife to open packages, and per my company's policy, he must be handled by the police, not us. I call, tell them a known shoplifter is in the store and is in the act of stealing, and he is carrying a weapon, and they usually get there in 10min, just as he's leaving the parking lot...

While it's ridiculous, you stand no chance in court. You might try to whittle it down to a generic moving violation (i.e., "inattention to traffic control devices"), but you'll still pay something. It stinks.

All things considered, the fine is a deal. 78 in a 55 in PA is about $300 + 4 points. 70 in a 55 is about $225 + 3 points. You're in a decent position to fight, however, as the judge won't make it more expensive.

Sorry, I misunderstood.

If you actually did something against company policy, you'd end up like the pizza hut delivery guy who shot the guy who was threatening him with a gun, and then pizza hut fired him because he was in violation of their "no guns" policy, though a solo deliveryman cornered by a gunman has justification to use his....but the corporation seemingly protects the criminals. Losses are better than lawsuits?

(after that I gave up pizza hut)

I took "my store" as it being your personal business or something.

I have yet to personally meet a non-jaded police officer though, and the nationwide posts here of tales of the failings of the law kill my hope.

Just out of curiosity, what can he walk out of the store with that is worth 2 grand?

Latest posts