Got a ticket today...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We all know speeding is just a 'gateway' crime to bigger and better. Next Jeff C will be removing tags from mattresses and pillows, writing below the line that states 'For internal use only', and it will not stop until he tries to slip through the 10 items or less line and a 'rentacop' at a Super Wal-Mart man handles him (had to play it up for Caymen). At this point, one of the elderly greeters will see the good in Jeff C and push to have him get the help he needs.

It will be a sad but true story and one that you can expect to see as an after-school special.

JT#14

p.s. When are people going to lighten up? 80+ posts on a speeding ticket and words such as 'I hate cops as much as the next' - please with that - do you really 'hate' the cops. Who really hates anyone? I do have a list but it is short - < 5 and oddly, none are cops and I would call it more of a disdain than pure hate.

3 Sport Tracs, being towed behind my Escalade, on the way to my home in Beverly Hills

Dang Gary.. No need to Dis the Sport Tracs.. TOWED behind an ESCALADE? And you are suggesting the Escalade can tow 3 of them? I think Henry Ford just turned over in his grave.. ;)

EDIT .. Sorry Ken.. 82!

Last edited by a moderator:
until he tries to slip through the 10 items or less line and a 'rentacop' at a Super Wal-Mart man handles him

I am a "rentacop" at Target :lol: and I doubt I could simply be "handled" lol. At one of my self defense training courses we were going over "transport" and one of the ways they hold you the instructor (a former marine) was saying they could hold anybody on their knees. I volunteered, was put in the holding position, stood up, and lifted both people (one in each arm) off the ground, lol.

And believe me, I wouldn't try and steal a thing from Wal-mart...I know several of their AP members, they don't have to wear uniforms...(some days I don't either).

Could point Travis. I hear a lot of so-called Christians that toss around that "Hate" word. I'm trying to remove it from my children's vocab. They toss it around too much as well. But they are kids, and need to be taught better.

TJR

Eltee,

Let me get one thing straight. I would never stand in the way of an officer doing his duty. If needed, I would also house a police officer, offer him coffee, or anything else.

I know there are good cops and there are bad cops. I do not disrespect police officers. I do not call them names like pigs.

It is sad to see a police officer pulling a guy over for speeding while I drive home only to hear gun shots from gangs.

In my parent neighborhood, three houses have been burned down by arson. Have the police increased the patrol in that area to make thier presence known? Not at all.

Near where I live now, the Arby's up the street has been robbed 3 times in the last two months.

Crime has gone up and nobody is doing anything about it.

Being a person of the general public, what would you think about it?

Tom

Do you mean "Pittsburgh area" state police? I ask, because I thought it was a state-wide law that only state police can use radar. All local law enforcement uses other means???

Correct me if I am wrong on that one please.

Tom,

I scanned the replies, but did not see a response addressing this. The PA legislature allowed municipalities to enforce speed limits with radar/laser. Montgomery County, and specifically Lower Merion Township, has been for a while now. They use a tripod laser unit and, at the top of the next hill, have a sobriety checkpoint setup where they wave the speeding vehicles over.

Being courtous to a police officer can be subjective in your own mind. Iam sure there are bad cops but I never experianced one. I have once experianced one that was a smart ass. His partner the one I was dealing with was a gentleman. I have always treated a cop the way I prefered to be treated (respectful without cowering) and they returned it in kind. I have even used humor, not the smartass kind. That type of attitude has got me warnings when I deserved a ticket

My experiance is first,words and body language go along way, when dealing with the police. Even if you get one that is a jerk.

Good or bad I respect what they do. I couldnt.

Thanks Adam.

I guess Bucks County is a little behind. I still see most enforcement done with road paint markers and timing devices. However, there are probably officers that are using laser/radar that I simply don't see.

TJR

Redfish, not necessary for the body cavity search ..REALLY! ha ha!

Í am not against cops..I'm just against bad cops ;)

GM - go in peace expert fishing person, I trust you, nice catch

Caymen -Thanks for the coffee offer, but no thanks, I now find that their is one person on earth that has determined I am jaded.

A couple of rumors that need dispelling.

1. Moving violations = Profit to the jurisdiction. At least where I am, traffic enforcement is not a revenue generator. Avg. cop with 5+ years gets paid about $80-90,000.00 per year. Add $40,000.00 in pension, med/dental benefits, and other MFB's (mandatory fringe benefits). Add the overhead involved in maintaining a policeman on the job i.e., certification, training, workers' compensation coverage, supervision, infrastructure, etc. Add the cost of supplies and equipment inc. buildings, vehicles, maintainance. Add the cost of insuring any city function. Add the civilian infrastructure needed to process citations, people from clerks to judges. Now, all that goes into the issuing of a citation, and a significant number of those citations are dismissed or the fines are reduced or there is school or service in lieu of fine. Anyway, in our area we don't do it to get rich, we lose money but it is for public safety.

2. Quotas = It is against the law (in my area) to establish quotas. Certainly there is an expectation of performance, but we, as cops, do not get microwaves or cash prizes for having the most tickets.

3. Fun and pleasure = while traffic stops can be challenging and exciting, pulling over your average citizen for a mover is generally not fun. He/she's mad, everyone in the car is glaring at you, you risk getting hit by a car, it can be cold or rainy, etc. Plus, you never know when that deadly "Jack in the Box" is going to pop up and try to shoot you because the guy who ran the stop sign just robbed a 7-11 and homey is hiding in the back seat with a Glock. Not to mention the frequent yelling (accompanied by spit spray) and berating we get.

4. Cops should fight "real crime" instead of wasting time writing tickets. Stop by any E.R. one night. The trauma centers have more people fighting for their lives or suffering tremendous injuries from motor vehicle accidents than from shootings, stranglings, knifings or beatings. Sure, I'm writing a ticket while some thief is kicking in a door to burglarize a house, or gang bangers are having a wild west shootout in the hood, or the guys in hoodies are selling rocks on the corner. Again, motor vehicle accidents cause more death, injury and property damage than those other crimes combined. Insurance should replace the loss of property, witnessing a drug sale won't get a conviction (you pretty much have to be involved in the buy) and we do allocate many, many resources to gang suppression.

There's more, but you get the picture. In my personal situation, the movers do not generate revenue, it is a public relations nightmare, it is risky, and it subjects us to abuse and stress.

Gotta' love this job!

Anyway, just a few comments from the "other side."

Peace

Haven't read all the posts but if it hasn't already been suggested, I would consider taking it to court and finding out if the radar had been properly calibrated. Yes, a technicality but if the cop is saying you were going faster than the radar is reading, then there is a problem and posibly people that ARE NOT speeding are being cited. I'd consder fighting it and check out what the consequences of losing are.

Also, I'm not a cop basher by any means, have had my share of citations, few of which I did not earn. However, "quotas" are always dispelled as a "myth," perhaps it has a different name BUT if a traffic officer is giving out fewer citations than others working the same area then he is considered to not be doing his/her job, which, in turn, brings about the "quota." Call it what you will, but quotas are real, maybe not in the typical sense but real nonetheless.

SOP at the beginning of every shift is to calibrate your radar and document it. The radar will tell you if it's not meeting spec. In the old days, we used an actual tuning fork, now it is a bit more automated.

Part of academy training includes a certification course in traffic enforcement and use of radar (if your agency uses them). What happens is you become a certified (expert) witness in court for that specific discipline. Besides, after a few months/years the judges / traffic referees get their own sense of which cops are honest and which tend to B.S. but challenging the calibration of the radar and the proficiency of the radar operator is not usually successful unless you get a Barney Fife cop...and they ARE out there.

Considering that Barney only carried "one bullet, in his front pocket, just in case of trouble", I have difficulty picturing him with a radar gun.

Latest posts