FLORIDA GATORS RULE

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Richard,

Yes i am a die hard michigan fan but i am basing my arqument off of the fact. Its not so much that Michigan didnt get in, its the fact that Florida got in when they dont deserve it. Sure, michigan is abetter team than Florida.

A neutral site wouldnt matter? Did you watch that game this year? They went INTO OHIO, and played the hell out of Ohio State. Forget the past years records. If you want to get technical, Michigan has won more games in the Ohio St/Michigan rivalry. Im talking about this year. Eveyone that knows about college football knows that the Michigan/Ohio St. game is a seperate game because of the rivalry and because of how great those games.

The BCS is based off of popularity. Michigan was robbed cuz they played their last game 2 weeks ago. Florida is not a number 2 team for this year.

Coach Tressle didnt vote because either he didnt want to play michigan agian or he has been a biased voter all year.

I did not know that Michigan and Ohio State was a rivalry game, so I guess everyone doesn't know.

I guess you know then, that practically every SEC matchup is a rivalry game. Auburn/LSU, Auburn/Alabama, Auburn/Georgia, I can't even begin to list them all.

Well whatever, I'm done arguing, and in less than a month we'll know.

LOL. The Michigan/Ohio State game is the BIGGEST rivalry in College Football. Why do you think it was so publicized the week prior and everyone started talking bout it after the 3rd or 4th week. How could you NOT know about the rivalry. Do you pay attention to sports or do you catch the highlights after the games and base your opinion?

Honestly, I could care less about Football. The BCS isn't perfect, but it isn't any more flawed then the Electoral College is.

Tom

Ummm, according to ESPN, Auburn/Alabama rivalry is the biggest with the "Iron Bowl". But they're just ESPN, what do they know.

How is that possible when the Michigan/Ohio St rivalry that has gone on for over 100 years...

The Iron Bowl might be the biggest rivalry GAME of all time

Alan,

I'm sure every Florida Gator's fan would disagree with you, as did the coaches who voted for Floriday as the number #2 team.

I am also talking about this year, but I am also talking about head to head matches between the teams and the same coaches. I am not comparing Jim Tressle to Bo Shembecler, or Woody Hayes. I am talking about the current active coaches of both teams and their records playing against each other.

Bo Shembeckler had his hardest games against Woody Hays and I think he won more of those games than Woody did. What happened 10 or more years ago when both teams had different coaches really doesn't matter, but the record of these same coaches going head to head for the past 5 or six years does.

But in the end, on any given day, either team can beat the other team. Lets face it, Michigan's and Ohio State's whole season is wrapped up in that final game of the season. It's especially tense when both teams go into the last game undefeated and the game determines who goes to the BCS championship game.

I think it would be great for the BCS to have a playoff game in mid-December, whenever there are two teams that are so closely ranked for #2. If Michigan played Florida and the winner plays #1 Ohio State, there should be no squabbles.

The problem would be, those who complain about who should play the loser of the playoff and where should they be ranked. I think there is just not enough time to get into playoff games in time to schedule who is going to what bowl game.

...Rich

Richard,

I agree with you about the playoffs.. I think it should be single elimination though. College will never totally get rid of the current system because of MONEY. Too much money involved with all the different bowl games.

alan, the thing is, they could still keep the bowl system, not lose that money, and still have the playoffs.

Think of this possibility: A coalition of five bowls--similar to the current BCS coalition. They rotate from year to year which bowl gets which of the following games. Eight teams are selected to be in the BCS, and are seeded 1 to 8. (Yes, I realize there would still be controversy about who gets in, just like each March in the basketball tournaments. But I don't think anyone would argue that any of the top four or five teams were denied.) In the first round (which, if they were to be played this way this year, would be held this Saturday, 12/9--all teams that wish to be playoffs eligible would need to have their season schedule done by last weekend)--teams #1 through #4 host teams #5 through #8. That's right, four schools get home playoff games! Can you imagine the excitement in the Swamp, or the Big House, etc., for a home college football playoff game??? The winners of these four games advance to the two semifinals--which are held January 1, and are two of the bowl games! The losers of the four quarterfinal games still advance, to two of the bowl games, also on January 1, which end up being more or less like the current non-championship BCS games. The two semifinal winners play each other in the championship game, about January 8, in the fifth of the bowl games. All other teams still get to advance to the other bowl games, in the exact same fashion as they do now, and those games remain just as completely meaningless as they are now. The bowl system is maintained, the mid-December break for finals is still maintained, the BCS bowls maintain their advantage over the other bowls, but you now have a legitimate playoff system in place!

IT WOULD WORK!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill,

That is awsome. I like how that works out. It would be a lot more exciting and would draw in more ratings. How the hell can the BIG WIGS in NCAA not think of this. Sure, there would be some controversy but if your in teams 9-12 then you wouldnt have much of a controversy to talk about because you would suck. LOL...

You know, I have thought about being characterized as a bad apple. I should embrace it. Therefore.... :D

[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:

Aye, arguing with a southerner that Florida is not as good as Ohio State or Michigan is like arguing that you shouldn't be attracted to your sister. Argue till you turn blue (and maize?), but those southerners will still ask their sisters to the prom.

Hey Tom Brady! What are your thoughts? "Anyone who has seen (Florida) play realizes it is a no-brainer. Florida is not very good. I watched that game (Saturday) night and that other (Arkansas) quarterback completed like three passes the week before. They have 18 guys out there throwing passes for Arkansas." (direct quote)

Can I interest anyone in a T-shirt?

[Broken External Image]:

The fun part of this is that I am a Penn State alum. Tough season this year, hindered by a wet-behind-the-ears (and somewhat crappy QB). And yet, through all of this, they lost to Michigan by 7. Had they had Michael Robinson this year, I think they would have forgotten Carr's "2 seconds" and Manningham's reception with his foot on the out-of-bounds line from last year.

You know, the more I think about Michigan's luck against Penn State last year, the happier I am that Florida made it. There are claims Urban Meyer whined to get into the Fiesta Bowl, and comments that Carr acted with dignity and remained silent. Seeing Carr cry for two seconds, though, shows that he whines as much as Paterno at a Big 10 referee. But I still don't like Florida.

See, you started off pretty good then you just let yourself go towards the end there. Being a Penn State fan you shouldve at least kept with the Big Ten. Ahhh quit talking about LAST YEAR man....this is 2006 :O)

:D

By the way, these shirts are hilarious. Most of the ones I had in college were Muck Fichigan and the like. Not very creative, and not very tasteful for anything but a tailgate.

Alan, you are not a very nice person. Instead of attacking others just support yours. Mentioning the rebel flag is a bit of a personal attack against me. You see, we minorities get a little offended when that sort of talk is thrown around. Avoid the personal attacks stick to commenting about football. Be happy that Michigan is in a big bowl game and God bless you.

STogiehog

Very true that no one wins. Oh and for STogiehog how about you be a little more cautious when trying to "throw that card" and automatically assuming that i would appreciate you saying the phrase "god bless you" to me. ANother thing, quit jumping on the bandwagon. The rebel flag isnt a symbol of racism. Its a flag just like any other flag out there that the Conferdates used during the civial war. It was a symbol for the Confederate Army not a symbol for racism. SO dont be so sensative and star that whole "we minorities talk" Im not a biggot, or a racist so get off your soapbox

Alan,

Another take on the B(c)S:

In one of your almost-decipherable tirades, you screamed that "This BCS system is garbage and we need an NCAA Playoff."

Well, my friend...we DID have a playoff this year.

The top 4 teams in the final tally were:

1. Ohio State

2. Florida

3. Michigan

4. LSU

Ohio State beat Michigan

Florida beat LSU

The WINNERS are playing in the championship game.

Isn't that the way it SHOULD be?