FLORIDA GATORS RULE

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yankee Gator,

First of all you obviously dont look at Michigans stats the whole year. I am a die hard Michigan fan. Im not saying that Florida is a crappy team. I have respect for the Florida team, however, you cant deny that the only good competition Ohio State had this year was against Michigan. Michigan has held the one of the top spots for defensive line coverage. Ohio State had a hard, hard time controlling the pass game and Mike Hart. Granted, Ohio St. has a phenominal offensive/defensive package.

Secondly. FLORIDA LOST TO A NUMBER 8 TEAM. They lost to AUBURN. Come on now. That is one of the great points. Are you serious? Your opinion is strictly bias. Your letting the fact taht your a huge florida fan override the truth. Look at every other game ohio state has played. No one gave them a headahce for 4 quarter like Michigan did. Florida cant compete with Ohio St. Its going to be yet ANOTHER pointless championship game to watch. The BCS is garbage and needs to be scrubbed. Michigan lost that spot because of scheduling. They got robbed because their season ending 2 weeks ago.

Yankee Gator,

How can you say that michigan is "WAY OVER-RATED" That statement isnt even worth commenting a lot on because its a waste of my time. Go look at Michigans stats, look at how they handled Ohio State. Yes, football is played on the field and not on paper. Theres no way Michigan is way over rated when the Ohio St/Michigan game generated more ratings than the worthless championship game will

Alan, I think "Your letting the fact taht your a huge [Michigan] fan override the truth. Look at every other game [Florida] has played"

See, it can be turned around. Everyone agrees that the toughest conference in the US is the SEC. They say the same thing every year. Let's see Michigan, Ohio State, Texas, USC run the gauntlet week after week in the SEC. I highly doubt they'll go undefeated. Yeah, Florida lost to Auburn, at Auburn. What happens if Florida wins? Will it be pointless? I mean, they will have beaten the #1 team, who beat the previous #2 team, so it would mean that the best team did win, correct.

As for the Ohio St/Michigan game getting more ratings, that's because ESPN advertised it all season long. And it sure was exciting, a shootout between #1 and #2. I'd rather watch a game where the combined score is below 20 and two good defenses stop two good offenses. I'm not really a fan of high scoring games because those teams are only playing half of a football game.

My son was born this year, Gators in the national title game, 100 years of football, 16 years in a row of bowl games, Basketball national title, Miami Heat NBA title. You would think everyday has been my birthday.

STogiehog

8 SEC teams in bowl games :D Florida playing for the National Championship, LSU in the Sugar Bowla and Auburn beat both of them. WAR DAMN EAGLE!

I don't give Florida much of a chance against OU but I'll do all that I can to help them. Go Gators!

See, it can be turned around. Everyone agrees that the toughest conference in the US is the SEC. They say the same thing every year. Let's see Michigan, Ohio State, Texas, USC run the gauntlet week after week in the SEC.

That's a grand assumption. Who agrees to this? Ah yes, the SEC, and its gaggle of southern-bred supporters, agrees every year. Drive from Philadlephia to Chicago to Madison to Columbus, backtrack to Iowa City, etc., and you'll have a different answer. Swing out to the Pacific Northwest, and you have another answer.

The championship is the perfect test to this assumption by some of the country. And yet, at the same time, it isn't. Picture this. Florida wins, but the SEC loses six other bowl games (hypothetically). Still the best? But, what if Florida loses, but the SEC goes 7-1? Perhaps a better argument.

And, as for quantity, the Big Ten has 7 Bowl teams, with one in Arizona. There's very little difference between 7 and 8, especially considering the SEC has twelve teams, and the Big Ten 11. Therefore, the same number were "left out" -- four (based on the statement that eight were in above). And, on those same lines, Ohio State is in the nat'l championship, and Meeshigan is in the Rose (the grand daddy of them all... imagine Keith Jackson).

The "best conference" argument is like begging which school's tradition is the greatest: Michigan, Notre Dame, or USC. Ask the fans, get one answer. Ask analysts, get another. Look at stats, and find (not in Championships with respect to Michigan) they are very similar.

We can discuss till we fall over. We can discuss after the Fiesta Bowl. And we can discuss right before kickoff next year. I think it's fair to say that, when the alma mater's blood is in you, we'll always disagree. I find it funny, though, how we line up behind the conference flagship (assuming its not "our" team), and yet, during the season, we lob profanities their way. Of course, no red-blooded Michigan fan will root for Ohio State, but I bet other Big Ten teams and fans are pulling hard for them. The same runs true in the SEC.

But -- I think we can agree that it'll be great to hear Keith Jackson call a game. He's hands down the voice of college football. (Let the disagreement begin....) :D

Last edited by a moderator:
The SEC is the best conference in the nation, and that is no assumption. Watch ESPN, read the newspaper or PTI, they all agree, the SEC is the Best.

all of the BS can be solved with a playoff system.

their lame excuse is it would take too long, more BS

as far as im concerned. they dont want a playoff

because on any given day any team can win

and that could mean a team like Rutgers in the

Championship game and we cant have that because

it wont sell.

its all about the BENJAMINS BABY

Talking mouths agree or disagree, just as we do. I'm from PA; you're from FL. We have our own biases. It'll be interesting to revisit this discussion on January 9th, when all is said and done, and see how it panned out.

I'll give you Floridians one thing, though. You are as passionate about your football as any Northern school. But, here's to the Big Ten once again stopping on the state of Florida. And when I say stomping, I mean avoiding the heart attack, acid reflux, kidney stone-like performance between PSU and FSU last year...

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Good call adam. However, im not gonna sit here and arque conferences. The numbers go back and forth to much over the years with conference states. Just because one team wins the national championship in that conference, does that make it the BEST? I think not. Im talking about individual teams. Bottom line FLorida LOST to AUburn. They won by 1 point against South Carolina and South Carolina wasnt even ranked then. They beat Tennesse by 1 point. Thier "high scoring" wins were against No ranked teams. Thats nothing more than a scrimmage. Notre Dame was number 2 when Michigan beat them, and by more than 1 point and in at Notre Dame might i add. Michigan also went INTO Ohio and played the toughest game anyone has played all year and came up short by THREE POINTS. Scoring more points than anyother team Ohio State had played all year.

Ive looked at the "schedule" come on now. You dont have an argument scheduling wise. Michigan got robbed because their last game was 2 weeks ago. Had they played ohio state last weekend it would be extremley interesting to see the different outcome in the BCS being that FLorida got it by a measily 9 points.

Bottom line a rematch would be worth watching rather than Florida/Ohio State. Ohio states coach didnt even cast a vote which means he didnt want to play michigan again or hasnt been fair in his voting. Had michigan played ohio state on neutral ground (which is the biggest rivalry in all of college football) it would be a different game.

Les--That's the third wrong statement you've made here--

Wisconsin, they lost to Michigan 27-10. They shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as Florida or Ohio State...

No one's saying that Wisconsin should be playing in the national championship game, or mentioning them with OSU, Michigan, and Florida. But they do deserve one of the BCS bids.

Florida won in the strongest conference in the country.

If the SEC was truly that strong, people would be talking about how they deserve 3 BCS teams. But that's not happening--that discussion is going to the Big 10. I'll grant that the SEC may have the better teams at the bottom of the conference--Minnesota is an embarrassment, plain and simple. But when it comes to having the best 1-2-3 teams, no one tops the Big 10 this year. Having great parity doesn't necessily mean that a conference is strong.

All his conflict is what makes college football so much fun....

No, all this conflict is what makes college football such a tedious farce. Either find a legitimate system to crown a national champion--or stop crowning a national champion. An eight or sixteen team tournament is direly needed.

The toughest conference? They have a couple good teams...oh wait. Michigan beat notre dame when they were NUmber 2...thats right. Flordia lost to number 8....

Florida may or may not be the best choice to play Ohio State for the national championship. They are, however, next in line do so. Michigan knew they were playing for the national championship when they played Ohio State and they LOST. I think the BCS is very political and is obviously not working correctly but saying Michigan is being robbed just doesn't sound right. Michigan had something Florida did not. It wasn't a better team or a tougher schedule. Michigan had their chance and LOST. Why do I keep putting LOST in capital letters? Because even the casual fans realize how goofy it sounds to suggest having a team that already lost to Ohio State, play them again for the national championship. I'm sure Michigan could eventually beat Ohio State if they played them enough times. Doesn't quite work that way folks. I think Michigan has a great team and may be the only team good enough to actually beat Ohio State this year. In any case, it's a moot point because they LOST so get over it and give the next team in line their chance. It's ludicrous for Michigan fans to say "if you give us enough chances, we know we can beat you". You had your shot. Time for whoever is the next highest ranked team (that hasn't already lost to Ohio State) to have their shot.

T.J.

Your arqument is retarded. The team that plays in the national championship should be the one most likely to contend with Ohio State. Florida doesnt have the team to do it. Florida won by 1 point to two different non ranked teams and then lost to Auburn. Thats the "NUMBER 2" team in the country. Are you serious? Even when florida gets spanked your telling me that Michigan is still gonna be number three in the country. For what? Cuz they played their last game 2 weeks ago and that hurt them in the polls. Id rather watch a good quality rematch with the biggest rivalry in college football than watch Florida get spanked. Michigan deserves to be number 2 still but they got robbed because of a schedulign conflict, because their "loss" was two weeks ago and Floridas win was fresh in the voters mind. How does florida deserve to be number 2, when michigan is the only team in the nation that can compete with Ohio State for 4 solid quaters and actually give them a run for their money and make them work for that championship.

T.J., That same arguement can be made the other way--Florida had their chance and LOST, to Auburn. They had their chance against a top 10 team, and LOST. Based on that, they should now not be allowed to face another top 10 team in a bowl game. They had their chance against a top 10 team, they LOST, they should get over it, and give the next team in line their chance.

There is no way that your argument can possibly support putting Florida ahead of Michigan in the championship game. If anything, by your argument, everyone but Ohio State has lost their chance to be in the championship game--in which case, they should just cancel the game and give the championship to Ohio State, by default. And if that's your position--fine, I can definitely grant that it's a legitimate one to have. But to claim that Florida should be there instead of Michigan, in the way that you did--well, alan beaulieu definitely got the first sentence of his post dead-nuts accurate.