Biggest upset in college football h istory

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once again I will say it is NOT the biggest upset in college football history. I have read all the posts in this thread and can only deduce that Alan is a big Michigan fan (which is fine) and is also someone who is close to the program or was once close to the program. Michigan was not even ranked number one. What about all the times that the top team has been knocked off? Well it surely is a big one though. Michigan is a big program in the Big Ten. It will garner a lot of attention. But the biggest of all time NO WAY. Im sure that most will agree. Sorry Alan you are wrong.

I dont know what posts and threads you are reading Frank. I dont know what college world you follow. If you even follow college football at all. I doubt it with that answer of yours. Its one thing for two Division 1A teams to go head to head and a number 1 be knocked off. Than if a team that is in a lower division comes into a Division 1A school, play that school on their home terf and flat out beat them...hands down.

Jeeze, Alan. I think YOU need to realize that there is life and games that happen outside of the state of Michigan. This was a surprising upset...but the BIGGEST OF ALL TIME? Please. Had App State been a 1-AA team without a winning season in a decade...sure, then it'd be a candidate for biggest of all time. Learn YOUR college football history, not just Michigan history.

Guys, if Alan wants his school, Michagan, to be known as the school to receive the

biggest and most embarrassing a$$-whipping in college football history, I say let him

have it :lol::lol::lol:

okay there smart guys than where would you rank this upset at within the history of college football there smartasses. Tiger no sh** theres life and games that happen outside of Michigan. Im a big ten fan so i watch a lot of b ig ten football. However, if this isnt one of the biggest upsets of all time than enlighten me as to what is....

Good point, Les.

Nah, I don't feel like searching through over a centuries worth of games to find bigger upsets. I've got things to do. I simply find it funny how you accuse those who are saying that this isn't the biggest upset aren't fans of college football or don't know what they are talking about.

Pride, it's a deadly sin.

...any given Sunday. Well, in this case it looks like it was Saturday.

I have to agree that Michigan severely under estimated the calibre of opponent that App. State posed to them. They saw former 1AA school and thought nothing more about them other than lots of 2nd and 3rd string guys would get some time on the field.

Granted, it is a horrific loss if you are a Michigan fan. But, they are the ones who under estimated App State. It's almost as bad as 1983 or 84 when the USC Gamecocks (8-0) were #2 going into the last three games of the season and went to Annapolis to rough up the (2-6) Midshipmen. USC ended up getting whacked by a team with a loosing season.

At least Michigan is taking this loss up front. They could still have a one loss season and good bowl bid. :lol:

I'm stupid now for not agreeing with Michigan's narrow defeat being the biggest upset in history?

....what? Are we in 2nd grade and on the playground now? Just don't kick dirt on my ice cream sandwhich.

I'll go with Ga Tech's 222-0 over Cumberland in 1916 as the biggest upset in history. Not that anyone ever game Cumberland a hope a winning...but getting shut out and having two-hundred twenty-two points scored against them? That's unbelievable.

If they are LUCKY they can still reach the rose bowl. Its shitty that national championship hopes are done in after the first saturday. Id rather an unranked division 1A team beat us than a Division 1AA school beat us. I will agree that they underestimated ASU. Thats obvious. In order for Michigan to have a chance for a good bowl not only do they have to win every game the rest of the way they have to win BIG...

This is a big upset, no doubt, and may be in the top handful, but I gotta agree with all of you who are saying that this isn't likely the biggest of all time. I suspect Alan thinks it is primarily because the wound is so fresh that it's hard at this time to imagine any other wound stinging more, which I can fully understand.

Part of the reason I don't think it can go down as the biggest upset is because of when it happened. If an FBS team goes an entire season as a top team, and then gets knocked off by an FCS team, it means they pulled off a major upset. On the other hand, if a team loses it's first game this way, there's a decent chance it simply means the team was drastically overranked. Frankly, how major this upset was will in part be determined by how Michigan performs the rest of the year.

It really doesnt matter how Michigan does the rest of the year. Part of the reason that its soo huge is becuase they are now out of the running for the National Championship and only out of the first game of the season. Michigan was put at 5 from last years results as a whole. Granted, their defense is something that everyone was looking at all year and last week did not help anything. They looked more unorganized than lack of talent.

alan, if they're not good enough to beat an FCS team, maybe they were out of the running for the national championship before the game even started...