Biggest upset in college football h istory

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Beaulieu

Reaction score
For all the college football fans in this forum. I fiqured id post this first. Everyone knows i am a diehard michigan fan. Michigan suffered the BIGGEST upset in college football history today with a 34-32 loss to Apalachian State an unranked Division 1AA back to back national champions for thier 1AA division. The season for MIchigan is pretty much over now. Its is IMPOSSIBLE to get into the National CHampionship with a loss. Hopefully next year they can get a good recruiting class and be contendors for the national championship. Its heartbreaking that Mike Hart, Chad Henne and Long, all turned down multi million dollar NFL contracts to come back this year to beat Ohio State and win the national championship and the championship is GONE. I wouldve rather they lost to Ohio State again than to have this happen. Michigan will forever be my favorite team. Every saturday i am glued to the TV. So for all of you that are michigan haters let the trash talking begin. It is deserved. My team did not come prepared, they m ade some horrible mistakes with penalties and did not convert on the third downs like they shouldve. On a final note..GO BLUE

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you fiqure that dude? A divison 1AA unranked team beat a divsion 1A team at HOME. Go back and relearn the college football h istory.

Michigan has been over-rated for years. This loss may finally prove that to the people that didn't already know this. A two-point loss is not a big upset. That isn't even a field goal.

You say unranked. Appalachian State is the #1 ranked team in the NCAA Div. 1 Football championship Subdivision (previously Div. 1 AA) and if I might say a very very good football team. As national champions in Div. 1 AA for the last 2 years I would venture to say they are better than alot of the Div. 1 A creampuff teams that played today against some of the "top 25 " ranked teams .

Granted, Michigan should not have lost today and it is unbelievable.I don't think people are giving Appalachian State as much credit as they deserve.Mostly because a lot of people haven't heard much about them. Everyone follows Div.1 A and not the subdivisions.

Why Michigan scheduled them for the first game of the season ,knowing how good their program is,is a good question.

Your right that they made alot of mistakes and I'm sure they will do their best correct them.

I have been a Michigan fan for the last 4 years as my sons went to the high school that Chad Henne attended.My oldest ran track with him.Henne will keep his head and work hard this week to help them play better next week

It doesnt matter how bad you lose. They lost to a division 1AA school. That was supposed to be an easy win. I give Appalachian State a lot of credit. They have a lot of speed. They played like a Division 1A school. My hats off to them. It just sucks that the season is now over for the Wolverines. They might as well forfeit the rest of the season because theres really no point. Theres no way your going to the National Championships with this loss.

Biggest upset?

Only if you're a Michigan fan.

In the rest of the collegiate sports world, this simply is a surprising victory, and a tough loss for Michigan.

The chance for a championship may be done, but the season isn't over. Still a lot of games left to be played against tough schools. Sometimes you lose to a better school, or to a worse school when you don't bring your A-game. It happens.

Look at the college football history. Listen to every sports analyst out there. This is going down as the greatest upset of all time. It has NOTHING to do with me being a die hard michigan fan. Granted for the players the best thing to do is to watch the game film. Look at the mistakes and fix them. Not to point fingers and get out there and start winning some football games. LLoyd Carr needs to be fired. 6 straight losses to Ohio State, 3 straight Bowl Loses and he flat out said they were unprepared for this game. Crable needs to be put on second string. He hit Troy Smith last year which led to a 15 yard penalty and today he missed his blocking assignment which led to the second blocked field goal. In the college football world you lose a game like this and your season is pretty much done. All your playing for is stats. They MIGHT, MAYBE be able to get a rose bowl big. However, they have to play h ard and not only blowout Penn State, Notre Dame, Michigan State but OHIO STATE. Then and only than and with losses from others teams in the big ten will they get a small chance at even the rose bowl. As far as a National Championship is concerned its gone for michigan again this year. Appalachian state studied the Ohio State film and used that against michigan. They spread out the offense and Michigan struggled with that. Michigans offense carried the defense just like last years game. Michigan needs a new coach and staff and they need someone wiht some balls to make adjustments in get into peoples asses

The BCS rankings are more forgiving to early losses rather than late. Every year at least one of the teams in the National Championship game has a loss, sometimes 2.

The season is not a total loss yet.

Thats a good point. However, i dont think they will be as forgiving to this loss. To a team that isnt even supposed to be "good" enough to be in Division 1A. Dont get me wrong. Appalachian state has some phenominal speed. I think that a rose bowl is the only thing michigan can hope and pray for this year. National Championship dreams are done for this year.

from what I have heard and seen (been watching college football all day), this is the FIRST TIME in history that a division 1AA team has beat a top 4 Ranked team, thus their dubbing it the biggest upset in history. Good for app state, sucks to be a michigan fan today though.

yes it does. Its a HUGE embarrasment. Its a loss that will haunt Michigan for years to come. Sucks michigan paid ASU 400,000 to come play them at the big house. Thats an expensive loss. However, this is my team. Tomorrow i will still have my michigan flag up. My jersey will still be worn and my sticker proudly displayed. Its just a painful, painful loss and one thats very hard to swallow. I wouldve rather watch them lose to Ohio State once again.

Since I have two members of my immediate family that are working on their Masters at App., all I can do is smile......:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

No offense, but every dog has his day.:p

From a fan of the victim of the infamous "two second" tragedy in 2005, let me be among the many to say: sucks to be you. When they announced the final score this afternoon, the crowd let out a roar louder than any which followed their eight touchdowns. You'll be hard-pressed to find any sympathy in Columbus, West Lafayette, Madison, State College, East Lansing, and so on. :)

The question is, however, did this loss start up the annoying "Fire Carr!" chorus? I hate Henne for obvious reasons, but I empathize with Carr. Michigan won't find a better coach than he, and those calling for his head are idiots.

On a lighter note, God Bless Florida International. In the third quarter, they were whistled for a false start. When I say they, I mean the offensive line. The ref's broadcast: "Prior to the snap, the entire offensive line of Florida International moved. Five yard penalty. Repeat first down." Never heard, or seen, anything like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
LMAO...wow that is hillarious.

Yes it does suck to be me a Michigan Fan. However, it will be interesting to see how many michigan "fans" there still are next At least i can honestly say that they are my team. I will stick by them.

Wow that was crazy.....Notre Dame shouldve won that game. Too bad they are an "independant" conference. At least Michigan lost by 2.....no wait......they lost to a divsion 1AA team