Another ST gone...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What larry said. Some years back on a total. My insurance let me take off new tires and wheels. Went to a salvage yard and bought a bunch of mixed junk. Got it all cheap. Told the salvage yard the bolt patern and bartered the price. Because I bought wheels with tires that no one would buy.

I will look into getting the wheels off, especially if the insurance doesn't give me the $500 I just paid last week. If the give me the $500, I don't think there would be any way for me to get them.

I am guessing the trailer hitch will automatically be factored in. I am also assuming I will be SOL regarding the Ranchos and the Explorer Express sway bar. Are these assumptions valid?

Here is another one I found. But it is at a shady local dealer. It has leather though! I just wish I knew what the color said about my confidence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man!! That should just buff out. J/K. Glad you're alright. It still seemed to hold up pretty well for what you went through. Good luck and hope everything works out for ya.;)

The buff out joke was the same one I made yesterday, while it was still upside down. That and, "Maybe if I put it in 4-low I can just drive out"

I forgot to mention that the impact (I am guessing) knocked the driveshaft out on the tranny end.

How about, "Them ain't scratches, they're beauty marks!".:D

Still good to know you were alright and walked away. You defiantely went for a ride. That poor thing is sitting mighty cantered by the looks of it.;)

A little help please.

I have the receipt for the EE sway bar, but I don't think I will get anything for that.

I also had window vents on all 4 windows, about how much are those to replace? I also had a bug guard, and I believe it was around $50.00

i'd make a list of everything you added look online at what the cost plus tax/shipping would cost you. Print it out and have it ready when the adjuster shows up.

....the insurane company paid for things I added due to their insured causing my wreck. their adjuster noted all that he saw and that was including my custom and or after market parts. I got everything paid for including the hidden damage.

If the accident was the other person's fault...they have to make it right with you; Just be polite when you talk to the adjuster.

one more thing, see if you can find another ST same edition you had. Did you have the pionneer edition Adrenaliin? If you can find two or three print them out with the price of each. make copies hand then over to the adjuster as well IF it's deternined your trac is totaled.

It's always sad to see another ST headed for the boneyard, but always good to hear the driver is fine. From the couple of incidents like this I've seen on this site, an ST is a good safe vehicle to be in if you gotta have a crash.

On that note, I see that in 2003 Ford started putting side-curtain airbags in STs no? When did this start exactly and in what models were they included? My 2003 ST XLT doesn't seem to have them from what I can see. What should I be looking for?

- Rick

Glad to hear you weren't seriously injured.

Why did the trucker lock up his wheels? Was he falling asleep or negligent in some way?

Is the other person's insurance company taking care of this for you? If so, don't let them low-ball you. If this was not your fault, but that of the other party involved, then there are several things for which you should be fairly compensated:

1. Fair-market value for the ST.

2. All the mods you have put into the ST.

3. All of your expenses incurred during this ordeal (rental car, gas, your time devoted to finding a replacement vehicle, any time away from work, pain, suffering, etc.)

4. If you haven't been to see a doctor since the accident, do so ASAP. Just because you seem to feel OK doesn't mean there's not some hidden injury that you don't feel now, but will surface later on. Especially if you rolled the vehicle.--Then let the insurance company rep know you've been to the doctor.

I'm not suggesting any of this so that you can rake them over the coals, but more so you know that you should be fairly compensated for everything related to this accident. The insurance company does not have your best interest at heart, but rather their bottom line. Their main objective is to resolve this claim with the smallest possible payout. And if you don't ask the right questions, they're not going to offer information.

Probably the best thing you could do is consult an attorney. That way, you'll have someone working for your best interests.

Truelight,

I know side curtain airbags were an option in 2003 because when I was looking for my ST I made sure it had them. Most ST's in my area did not have them and as I recall they only cost about $275.

edit: the italics were left open!

DANG! Jon, looks like the Man Upstairs was looking out for you! Glad you're OK. Like everyone has already said, don't let the insurance company stick it to you.

That was quite an accident. Glad your okay. Get as much as you can from the insurance company. Don't let them low-ball you.

Here is (hopefully) a link to the rest of the pictures I took today.

Let me know if there are problems.

I already spoke to my sister, who works for another insurance company and she told me what they would offer. The also said the new tires aren't worth anything to them. I don't know if the one on the broken rim would be any good any more.

I will know more when the adjuster comes out to take a look.

I talked to my FIL about the '05 ST.

I will need to add a hitch, as there isn't one now. It won't have the moonroof I had before. It also has the standard radio, not the 6 disc Pioneer I had, and no sub. :(

It does have the factory tonneau cover, and the monochrome paint, in addition to 20,000 less miles.

It would cost me about $13,900 and I am estimating about $13,000 for my totaled '02, but won't know until Thursday.

Downside: Losing EE swaybar, moonroof, factory sub, 6-disc, buy new hitch, Goodyear tires and shocks.

Upside: Newer model, hard cover, less miles, monochrome paint.

The ranchos aren't a real loss, pretty inexpensive to replace. The moon roof isn't a huge deal, I used the back window way more than the sunroof.

Does it sound like a pretty decent trade?

Nice looks like mine minus the moonroof. Why can you not get your 6 disc changer out of the old one????? if they total it....tell them you want that and your other things that are still good.

Well, I have yet to talk to the actual adjuster.

I will try and see if I can swap. It will be tricky, since once it is totaled, they own the truck. Plus it would be a little tricky taking the radio from a vehicle off of the lot and doing the swap. I now wish (in hindsight) that I paid to have it towed to the dealer instead of the towing yard.

The changer isn't a big deal either, I listen mostly to Sirius radio anyhow.

So I am having a bit of another dilemma, but i don't know if it needs a new thread yet. I still have not heard from the adjuster on the '02.

The 2 trucks I am now looking are are both black. One is an '05, pretty basic, body color plastic, factory cover, 57k miles.

For ~$4,000 more there is a loaded '07, pretty much everything but leather. Only 22,000 miles

The downfall is the '05 would give me no payment, but the '07 has the options, the warranty, and less miles. I do not know much about the model differences. I know the ride has changed, but is it better? Also does the '07 have the new model problems that tend to occur with auto manufacturers?

If this deserves a new thread, let me know and I will start over.

jonw9 - if you have full coverage through your own insurance call them. They will take care of everything and go after the other guys insurance for you. That is what you pay them for.

I do have full coverage. Michigan is a no-fault state, so it is my insurance that handles the totaling, repair, etc.

I am already dealing with my insurance, I have been since Monday morning. I already got my injury paperwork in the mail, and I am supposed to hear back on the status of my '02 tomorrow morning.

I am kinda shopping around for new vehicles so I am prepared, on the assumption the old one is totaled.

Latest posts