03 Sport trac 4.0 Eating Coolant

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No its not them. I was able to get a pic loaded up. Here it is. Right by the yoke.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on where it goes, that sounds about right. Either way its going back tomorrow to have it put back on and the mechanic to chase the low end vibration. Thanks.

:banghead:

That's what I was thinking but he's stood behind it from the git go. Dahmer said I could take it to a Ford dealer and if its the engine that they would cover it all under warranty. Told my mechanic and he had no problem with that. If I were him I wouldn't either. This has for sure been an ordeal! :cry:

Well mechanic called and said he found what was causing the vibration. He said when they put it back together they didn't seat the exhaust pipe into the Y-pipe I think he said it was and is was cocked a bit and was up against the frame. He loosened the bolts and got it off of the frame and tightened the exhaust back up but this time a little at a time equally on both sides so it would flush up. I know I had thought I'd heard a change in the tone especially when first starting it that sounded like a bit of an exhaust leak or something but not bad enough that you would know that that is what it was. This explains that. I'm just wondering if there is such a tight clearance between the frame and exhaust system that if not flush up that is could rub against the frame. Guess I'll see when I go get it later today.

I know! That's what I thought! And I was under it looking around and didn't think to look for something up against the frame. It seems obvious now that you would look for something like that on a vibration. :banghead:

Saga continues. Replaced long block and now this one is self destructing internally. Hand a clattering noise that sorta sounded like loose rocker arms and took to dealer and they have found metal shavings in the oil filter they cut in half. Now looks like its gonna be long block #3. What in the world could be depositing shavings in the filter I wonder!? :banghead:

DB, an oil analysis may shed some light on this - actually would've been better had you done one two months ago. Good luck.

DB

Get your money refunded, a core engine returned to you and find an engine builder and a mechanic that knows what the %$#* they are doing. This has gone on long enough. If you ever do happen to get an engine supplied to you by AZ that actually lasts longer than 5 minutes how are you ever going to be able to trust it.

VIC

What exactly would you expect an oil analysis to tell us on a engine that is clattering and has metal in the oil?

l1tech, I'd be looking for reason this engine's coming apart. Coolant in the oil will cause rapid breakdown of rod and main bearings. Another reason is have it in case there's any legal action to come out of this unfortunate episode. The adage "Pretend I'm from Missouri" comes to mind. In my 15 years as an AMSOIL dealer I've used oil analysis many times; it's a valuable tool to verify performance or head off problems. In this case it's too late.

Gonna let the dealer chase it for me now. Too late for a refund. Broke engine is long gone. Dahmer Powertrain's engine builder wants pictures of cut open oil filter to see if there are any particles and there are. The engine builder that Dahmer said who provided the current long block is the same one that supplies them to Ford not that that necessarily means anything. Here is what the dealer took pictures of and sent to Dahmer.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Vic,12/30/2013 08:21 MT

. In this case it's too late.

Exactly...so why recommend it? I see an oil analysis as a tool to be used to see how the engine is wearing as time goes on, not as a tool to determine why a newly rebuilt engine is failing...not hating just saying.

by DB,12/30/2013 16:18 MT

. The engine builder that Dahmer said who provided the current long block is the same one that supplies them to Ford not that that necessarily means anything.

They may have supplied the core engine to rebuild but I'm sure that any similiarities stop there. Anywho what's done is done...lesson learned, let us know how things shake out.

Only way to know for sure is to disassemble the engine and inspect the parts. My guess is that it's from rod/main bearings. Let us know if you're able to find out. l1tech, your point about use of UOA to monitor normal engine wear is correct but it can also identify potential showstoppers (like abnormal levels of copper, tin and lead accompanied by coolant in the oil from a gasket defect).

Last edited by a moderator:
Am hoping when the engine rebuilder gets the pix to verify that the clattering sound HAS to be coming from internal that they will authorize another long block and I can get my wife back in her truck. By the way, the dealer's initial diagnosis of the clattering sound was that it was either the chains or tensioners due to the sound coming from the front of the engine. When they pulled the front cover and everything was tight and good that's when the rebuilder wanted the pix of the oil filter cut open.

Latest posts