03 Sport trac 4.0 Eating Coolant

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DB,10/27/2013 20:43 MT

To add the above, if the initial cause of the misfire WAS coolant, would coolant on the o2 sensor contribute to the diagnosis that it needed an o2 sensor and that not be a reasonable assumption and replacing it cause the misfire to go away for a couple of days? Maybe the old o2 sensor had coolant on it in addition to the spark plug and replacing it cleared it up while the leak was small? o2 was the upstream one. Just a thought.

Honestly I have never replaced an oxygen sensor to solve a misfire. In an extreme situation a faulty oxygen sensor could cause a misfire but it would affect multiple cylinders, not just one. I suspect in your situation that the head gasket had an issue from the get go yet the problem wasn't full blown. Once the engine started to warm up the problem went away because the head gaset sealed itself until it cooled down again.

Makes sense that all cyls should have had a misfire on that side but it actually did clear up after it was replaced for a short time for some strange reason. Guess I jumped too quick and grabbed new injectors thinking it was a leaking one. What's your opinion on going ahead and replacing them anyway since they have over 265,000 miles on them or should I just go ahead and return them and get my money back?

Another non-related thing that happened to the engine when I got it back that I didn't mention was that it was leaking oil pretty bad from the rear main and he had to replace that and that took care of the leak. Not sure if THAT was bad at reman or if it got bumped with the reinstall of the tranny and not checked.

Finally, do you think I should insist on a new long block if they find that the head gasket is the culprit or think it is or entertain allowing them to replace the head gasket and hope there was not any other damage? Thanks again for your input!

Finally, do you think I should insist on a new long block if they find that the head gasket is the culprit or think it is or entertain allowing them to replace the head gasket and hope there was not any other damage? Thanks again for your input!

Most likely the head gasket blew from block or head warpage. Or improperly torqed head.

I wouldnt keep anypart of that motor.JMO.....

If you feel that you need to replace the injectors then by all means do so, with that many miles it certainly coudn't hurt. Just make sure that you bought quality injectors or you may end up with more problems than you started with.

Think I'm gonna just return them all. Got Motorcraft injectors but since there was nothing wrong with them before it broke the valve spring I'm just gonna return them. Need the money back. Just got a notice from mortgage company that escrow was underpaid by $13000 and they want it or mthly payment goes up. Ugg......If there is a problem down the road will address it then. Doesn't appear its a huge job pulling the plenum.

Well got it back yesterday with the replacement long block. AZ ran into a problem with original supplier not having a rebuilt 4.0 in stock and offered to take bad one, rebuild IT and return it. Fortunately the mechanic pushed back on that offer and AZ refunded him the money and got a more expensive one from Dahmer Powertrain. AZ ate the difference. Dahmer's website appears to reflect that that company is a good one. Of course, the saga continues though. The engine has a slight vibration when I hit the accelerator between dead idle and say 1,000ish-1,500 rpms. Goes away above 1,000-1,500 and it seems to run fine when I'm driving it. Only does it between idle and around 1,000-1,500. Doesn't matter if its in drive and pulling away or in neutral and raising the rpms from idle to 1,000ish. Vibration is there and disappears above 1,000 in both cases. I know it could be a multitude of things but does anybody have any immediate suggestions on what would cause that so I might look around on my own? The mechanic is about as frustrated with the whole ordeal as I am and taking it back to him right now is only going to cause a blow up and my wife needs her truck right now bad. He had it for 2 weeks replacing the bad one. I know that I am the consumer and it shouldn't matter what he feels but I need a clear mind doing some initial diagnosing so will give it a week or so and see if I can focus in on it with any suggestions from the much more experienced minds of you guys. Thanks for any suggestions you might offer. :haveabeer:

Saw a thread on another site and it showed pix of the harmonic balancer separated into 2 pieces. I'm pretty sure a new one of those are installed on a reman engine. Will look though.

Being that the vibration happens while the truck is not moving you only have one thing to eliminate and that is the engine/trans mounts. You can put some pressure on the bottom of the engien with a piece of wood placed on a floor jack and take the pressure off of the mounts, if the vibration is still there then you are looking at engine #3.

I wonder if they gave you a 2wd engine vs a 4wd engine, the difference is the balance shaft. I also wonder if they may have taken the balance shaft out of the engine that you have.

Will check the engine mounts like you suggested. Not sure about the engine part being 2x4 vs 4x4. I have a 4x4. I can call the mechanic and get him to check it out. Man-o-man I hope its not engine #3! He was saying its gonna take months to get paid under warranty for engine #2 from AZ. I gotta feel for him since none of this appears to have been due to his work. Of course he shouldn't have given it back with the vibration. I had to mention it to him so wonder if he knew. Don't see how he could have missed it.

On second thought I think its just going back to the mechanic Monday. Left message with Dahmer to verify the warranty was registered to my VIN. The saga continues.

:argue:

Anybody have an 03 Sporttrac? I was under it looking around and THINK I see a place where something was once bolted and is now not there but don't know what it would have been. It on the drivers side right by the differential housing for the 4x4 part of the front axle right next to and above the exhaust flange. 3 bolts hold whatever it is or was in my case and it is on a like 1/4" or so piece of metal that is a bracket looking thing that is part of suspension. Best description I can come up with. If knew how to post a picture of it on here I'd take a picture. Anybody?

Went and found one on a car lot and crawled under it and found what is bolted onto where I was trying to describe. Its some kind of round donut looking thing. Like maybe a vibration damper or something. Any ideas? Would that cause a low rpm vibration if it is missing? I have a picture of it but don't know how to upload it.

Latest posts