Yo, lathe guys, woodturners, in here:)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Barber

Reaction score
My shaving brush Buis has gone nuts, got tired of turning wood, am now into animal products:) (all 100% legal)

My fave is Ivory, the stuff is the most satisfying media I have ever worked with (brush on the rgt) other two are Musk Ox horn, middle has an Ivory inlay.

have fun, make chips, not war.[Broken External Image]:

Gotta exploit the market while it lasts, cause it's going to die off, and then you'll have Buick's problem :grin:

Getting your $'s worth out of that antique lathe.

Seriously, until this board, I haven't heard of anyone using a shaving brush in years. Shoot, were they even en vogue in the last 2 centuries??

My rockwell lathe was made in 1974, hardly an antique.

Shaving is an art, you must live in a cave KL, is nothing finer and more invigorating than a wet shave using a handmade shaving soap and high grade badger brush.

Just one of the finer simple joys in life that some never discover:)

Red, I get bowls from China in bulk, give them away.

Thx M&E.

Bill do you provide a kit, Soap brush, and dish.... ???

I gots the blade..... LOL

Todd Z

Not really Todd, most of my buyers have all that stuff, have a ton of great hand made soap tho.

Todd, maybe not a good Idea for you to be using sharp objects tho:grin:

My Son-in-law (mid thirties) has been shaving this way for over ten years. Now he has one of Bill's beautiful brushes. Thanks again, Bill.:supercool:

Todd, maybe not a good Idea for you to be using sharp objects tho

LOL, Remember its only a knife, Not a rented Mustang.... Now i cant ever rent from Enterprise here again.....LOL

Todd Z

Jumped a bad train track crossing at 80mph..... Blew out the rear tail lights, destroyed the bumper and messed up the suspenstion.....

Took the damage waver out...... Its a rental.... Time to beat it to death !!!

Todd Z

Todd said:
Took the damage waver out...... Its a rental.... Time to beat it to death !!!

I rent things all the time. I try my hardest to return them in the condition that I got them. I heard stories about people that abuse the things they rent. It never occurred to me to go out of my way to do that, though, not for fun, nor for sport.

The way I look at it, is if everyone abused the stuff they rented rental costs and the red-tape of renting would just increase...and I certainly don't want that.

Oh well. I bet it was fun!

:back2topic:

Cool turnings, Bill. I really do want to go old-school in my shaving.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Thx

Try it TJR, for cheap you can get a Boar hair brush and some williams shaving soap at any major drug store.

When your ready to upgrade,let me know:)

I don't get the epicurean bliss you guys are ranting about, the ole safety razor + the electric shaver works for me, and I don't have time to spend 45 minutes or so shaving with these methods. I'm no debonair gentleman.

Honestly, I don't see how the shave can get any better than what it is now. I guess that is the problem.

Besides, canned shaving cream is cool, a modern wonder that does work for you. Can soap say the same? I think not.

:back2topic:

:)grin:)

The thought of trashing the rental didn't occur to me either, but it sounds fun, though maybe a bit jostling. Beats my semi-unintentional Dukes of Hazzard moments with a rental minivan tho.

(But I'm still proud of getting the fwd minivan to oversteer without the e-brake...)

I rent things all the time. I try my hardest to return them in the condition that I got them.

Knew Some one would say something...... Only with Rental cars.... tool, equipment, other things, Take care of them as if they were my own........ Cars on the other hand, nope...

When your ready to upgrade,let me know:)

I tried and was disregarded and joked to...... Ohh well...

Todd Z

Hey Bill, I really like the one on the left. A little bit longer handle looks great. Is it for sale? Let me know what you need and I'll send $$ ASAP. I get my soap from the "Vermont Country Store". Little round bar that fits neatly into my mug.

Contact me @: [email protected] Thanks, Bob :supercool:

Bill,

I was under the impression that importing or selling Ivory was illegal in the USA, as well as many other parts of the world? This was caused by the illegal Ivory trade from poachers in Africa killing so many elephants just for the Ivory?

I am not saying or implying that you are doing anything illegal, I am just curious as to what the exact law includeds or excludes. I assume that if you are working with Ivory, that you know all the legal ramifications, so let us know,

...Rich

Bob C

Item is ebay fodder until this coming sunday, if interested get back after 9/19/10.

FYI, musk ox horn is extreamly pricy, the curved actual horn portions run $80/lb, the material used in making the above brush is from the Boss of the horn, about $35 per/Oz.

Richard, you are correct, it is illegal to export or import Ivory as per the 1989 federal ban unless it is sport hunted or can be proven to be in this country prior to 1989.

The laws are very complex, as a general rule Ivory (with the exception of marine ivory I:E walrus) that is now in the country is legal to buy, sell, and trade (than you have state laws to consider) walrus Ivory is legal if it can be proven it was havested prior to 1972, or is scrimshawed by an alaskan native if harvested after 1972, than it is considered art.

Than you have mammoth Ivory (wonderfull stuff) but you have to prove it is mammoth Ivory(easy to do to the trained eye).

All my Ivory was sport harvested in 1927 and is marked and documented as such.

The above large brush is mammoth Ivory, at least 3000 yrs old.

Latest posts